Job Title: User Experience Designer, Location: Ann Arbor, MI , Company Name: JSTOR, Internal Recruiter, Full Time
29 Jul 2008 - 12:31pm
User Experience Designer
Ann Arbor, MI
Do you thrive in a fast-paced team environment? Are you a creative
problem-solver? Are you passionate about designing and building
systems that make a difference? If yes, then you will find JSTOR's
Interface Group a challenging and rewarding place to work.
The User Experience Designer is responsible for designing and
communicating usable and innovative solutions for research websites
searched by millions of users daily as well as a variety of supporting
systems. Understanding the needs of the user base will be critical in
ensuring an excellent experience for every step of the users' work. The
Designer works collaboratively as part of a larger Interface Group
including other designers, usability specialists, visual designers and
interacts with User Support and Development teams.
Projects may include: enabling delivery of multiple types of scholarly
content, enhancing discoverability of content, internationalizing the
website, personalization and social networking, creation of internal
tools to manipulate content, intranet design and development.
A typical project will require the User Experience Designer to:
* Collaborate with the user researchers and stakeholders to
identify and understand both business and user needs.
* Gather any additional information necessary. Which may include:
competitive analysis, data mining, topical research, user research, etc.
* Develop a vision and proposal for the desired design approach.
* Create deliverables, which may include storyboards, paper
prototypes, wireframes, specifications, user scenarios and flows, etc.
* Ensure the design adheres to accessibility and usability
* Work closely with visual designer to realize the designs.
* Collaborate with system architects to create a vision for the
project that meets goals of the Interface Group and the Software
* Work closely with software developers and quality assurance
staff during implementation and testing.
Outside of project work, the User Experience Designer will:
* Participate in conceptual development with the Interface Group,
project team, and others.
* Translate organizational vision and goals into the work of the
* Conduct research necessary to improve work; including but not
limited to competitive analysis, trends in technology, and trends in the
* Ensure that progress is made in a timely and efficient manner.
* Contribute to the continual refinement of the design and
* Thorough understanding of and practice with a variety of UX
disciplines including: interaction design, information architecture,
usability, user research, and information design.
* Experience applying a variety of UX methods and techniques.
* Excellent communication skills - oral, written, listening,
* Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced, collaborative,
* Proven critical thinking skills.
* Creativity; problem solving skills.
* 2-4 years of professional experience, including user experience,
usability, or related field.
* Degree in human factors, human computer interaction, graphic
design, library science, or related field.
* Experience working in an agile development process.
* Experience with any of the following: designing search
interfaces, data visualization, internationalization, mobile devices,
* Familiarity with web standards and accessibility.
* Experience with prototyping tools.
* Experience working with graphic designers.
JSTOR (www.jstor.org <http://www.jstor.org/> ) is a not-for-profit
organization dedicated to helping the scholarly community discover, use,
and build upon a wide range of intellectual content in a trusted digital
archive. Our overarching aims are to preserve a record of scholarship
for posterity and to advance research and teaching in cost-effective
ways. Today, JSTOR archives and provides access to over 1,000 scholarly
journals and other materials in 40 academic disciplines. Researchers and
students at more than 4,000 institutions in over 100 countries around
the world use the archive each day. JSTOR is headquartered in New York,
NY with additional offices in Ann Arbor, MI.
*JSTOR currently offers an extremely competitive benefit plan including:
* Choice of 2 medical plans, one at no cost to the employee
* Free dental, vision and employee assistance programs
* Employer contributed pension with a 6 month vesting period
* A competitive salary
* 20 vacations days
* ...And much, much more
JSTOR offers an informal yet stimulating work environment with a
collegial and intelligent staff that is highly committed to JSTOR's
mission. Since its inception in 1995, JSTOR has grown significantly and
will continue to grow. It is a great place to start or accelerate your
career. Interested candidates should submit their resume, a detailed
cover letter, and salary requirements to: