Off Topic: 37signals

21 Aug 2008 - 9:32am
5 years ago
13 replies
565 reads
Shaun Bergmann
2007

Just wondering if anybody happens to know the basis to the naming of
37signals.
I'm reading "The Tipping Point" at the moment, and came across a description
of an experiement that happened during the 1984 presidential election.
http://tinyurl.com/5cluwz

Shaun

Comments

21 Aug 2008 - 10:01am
jarango
2004

On 8/21/08 9:32 AM, "Shaun Bergmann" <shaunbergmann at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just wondering if anybody happens to know the basis to the naming of
> 37signals.

It came from outer space:

http://www.thenameinspector.com/37signals/

Cheers,

~ Jorge

21 Aug 2008 - 11:05am
Shaun Bergmann
2007

Dang. I liked the idea.

I think I went further in my brain and saw the test subjects reacting to the
non-verbal *signals *in the facial expressions of each of the 37 segments.
Thought "Wow, that's a Beautiful idea! Secretly encompassing the humanistic
tendencies of us as social creatures and hiding that so deeply into their
name."

How disappointing to find out that once again -- it's a bunch of reptilian
aliens behind it.
Always with the aliens!
SHaun

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 7:49 AM, Peter Ryan <peryteran at gmail.com> wrote:

> Shaun,
>
> The election was about 37 segments, as opposed to the 37 radio signals that
> might prove the existence of life outside our planet. The number might be
> coincidental, unless you're a numerologist.....
>
> Peter
>
> On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 10:32 AM, Shaun Bergmann <shaunbergmann at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Just wondering if anybody happens to know the basis to the naming of
>> 37signals.
>> I'm reading "The Tipping Point" at the moment, and came across a
>> description
>> of an experiement that happened during the 1984 presidential election.
>> http://tinyurl.com/5cluwz
>>
>> Shaun
>> ________________________________________________________________
>> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
>> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
>> Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
>> List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
>> List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
>>
>
>
>
> --
> Peter Ryan
> peryteran at gmail.com
> 617-275-9193
>

21 Aug 2008 - 9:49am
Peter Ryan
2008

Shaun,

The election was about 37 segments, as opposed to the 37 radio signals that
might prove the existence of life outside our planet. The number might be
coincidental, unless you're a numerologist.....

Peter

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 10:32 AM, Shaun Bergmann <shaunbergmann at gmail.com>wrote:

> Just wondering if anybody happens to know the basis to the naming of
> 37signals.
> I'm reading "The Tipping Point" at the moment, and came across a
> description
> of an experiement that happened during the 1984 presidential election.
> http://tinyurl.com/5cluwz
>
> Shaun
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
>

--
Peter Ryan
peryteran at gmail.com
617-275-9193

22 Aug 2008 - 7:13am
Bharath Balasub...
2008

They named their company 37Signals because "37" was their original team
size. I guess, I remember reading it on their blog or elsewhere.

- Bharath

-----Original Message-----
From: discuss-bounces at lists.interactiondesigners.com
[mailto:discuss-bounces at lists.interactiondesigners.com] On Behalf Of Shaun
Bergmann
Sent: Thursday, August 21, 2008 8:03 PM
To: IxDA List
Subject: [IxDA Discuss] Off Topic: 37signals

Just wondering if anybody happens to know the basis to the naming of
37signals.
I'm reading "The Tipping Point" at the moment, and came across a description
of an experiement that happened during the 1984 presidential election.
http://tinyurl.com/5cluwz

Shaun
________________________________________________________________
Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help

26 Aug 2008 - 8:29am
Lance Osborne
2008

There have never been 37 employees at 37signals. I suggest reading the
Time Magazine article about the team at time.com. (Enter '37signals'
as the keyword term to find the article "Small Is Essential.")

>From 37signals' first site:

"Mankind constantly analyzes radio waves from outer space in the
search for extraterrestrial intelligence. Since this analysis
started, almost all of the signal sources have been identified. 37
Signals, however, remain unexplained."

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Posted from the new ixda.org
http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=32229

26 Aug 2008 - 7:17pm
Robert Hoekman, Jr.
2005

>
> I suggest reading the Time Magazine article about the team at time.com.

Perhaps we should also consider reading entire threads before responding to
them. The same answer has been posted 3 times, and it wasn't even an
on-topic question.

-r-

26 Aug 2008 - 8:23pm
Christian Crumlish
2006

it's the aliens

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 5:17 PM, Robert Hoekman Jr <robert at rhjr.net> wrote:

> >
> > I suggest reading the Time Magazine article about the team at time.com.
>
>
> Perhaps we should also consider reading entire threads before responding to
> them. The same answer has been posted 3 times, and it wasn't even an
> on-topic question.
>
> -r-
>
>

26 Aug 2008 - 8:52pm
Lance Osborne
2008

Having a bad day, Robert Hoekman Jr? Not only did I clarify that
37signals has never had 37 employees, but I also provided an exact
quote from their original site. Sorry this offended you so much. Next
time, I'll run my comments past you first to get an official
approval.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Posted from the new ixda.org
http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=32229

27 Aug 2008 - 7:48pm
SemanticWill
2007

Clearly Mssr hoakman is not having a good day.

will evans
emotive architect &
hedonic designer
will at semanticfoundry.com
617.281.1281
twitter: semanticwill
aim: semanticwill
gtalk: wkevans4
skype: semanticwill
_________________________
Sent via iPhone

On Aug 26, 2008, at 6:52 PM, Lance Osborne <lance at lanceosborne.com>
wrote:

> Having a bad day, Robert Hoekman Jr? Not only did I clarify that
> 37signals has never had 37 employees, but I also provided an exact
> quote from their original site. Sorry this offended you so much. Next
> time, I'll run my comments past you first to get an official
> approval.
>
>
> . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
> Posted from the new ixda.org
> http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=32229
>
>
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help

27 Aug 2008 - 8:04pm
Robert Hoekman, Jr.
2005

>
> Having a bad day, Robert Hoekman Jr? Not only did I clarify that
> 37signals has never had 37 employees, but I also provided an exact
> quote from their original site. Sorry this offended you so much. Next
> time, I'll run my comments past you first to get an official
> approval.
>

I could have been more tactful, and for that, I apologize, but sarcasm isn't
going to help anything.

I understand that you included an exact quote from the site. Two other
people did as well (Jorge linked to the quote, and Peter paraphrased), hence
my reply. Again, I apologize if I offended anyone.

-r-

27 Aug 2008 - 8:08pm
Christian Crumlish
2006

I'm pretty sure they named it after the 37 Ways to Leave Your Lover.
-x-

27 Aug 2008 - 9:01pm
Lisa Harper
2007

If you're interested in company names.... this site is excellent
reading. Here's the post on 37signals:
http://www.thenameinspector.com/37signals/

Lisa Harper

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 9:29 AM, Lance Osborne <lance at lanceosborne.com> wrote:
> There have never been 37 employees at 37signals. I suggest reading the
> Time Magazine article about the team at time.com. (Enter '37signals'
> as the keyword term to find the article "Small Is Essential.")
>
> >From 37signals' first site:
>
> "Mankind constantly analyzes radio waves from outer space in the
> search for extraterrestrial intelligence. Since this analysis
> started, almost all of the signal sources have been identified. 37
> Signals, however, remain unexplained."
>
>

27 Aug 2008 - 9:01pm
Lisa Harper
2007

Whoops... already in the thread! Sorry about that.
Lisa

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 10:01 PM, Lisa Harper <lisah2u at gmail.com> wrote:
> If you're interested in company names.... this site is excellent
> reading. Here's the post on 37signals:
> http://www.thenameinspector.com/37signals/
>
> Lisa Harper
>
> On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 9:29 AM, Lance Osborne <lance at lanceosborne.com> wrote:
>> There have never been 37 employees at 37signals. I suggest reading the
>> Time Magazine article about the team at time.com. (Enter '37signals'
>> as the keyword term to find the article "Small Is Essential.")
>>
>> >From 37signals' first site:
>>
>> "Mankind constantly analyzes radio waves from outer space in the
>> search for extraterrestrial intelligence. Since this analysis
>> started, almost all of the signal sources have been identified. 37
>> Signals, however, remain unexplained."
>>
>>
>

Syndicate content Get the feed