[JOB] Recruiter: VP/Director of User Experience (mobile devices/wireless)
4 Dec 2008 - 12:51am
UxStation is seeking a seasoned User Experience leader for the newly created position of VP/Director, User Experience at our client company, a world leader in wireless communications and mobile devices - we are seeking a senior candidate with proven experience leading teams, defining and driving process innovation and helping organizations develop and execute a user experience roadmap.
The ideal candidate is expected to provide world-class vision and guidance on user-centered design, usability, and user research to define and shape the next generation User Experience for future mobile devices, championing the principles of UCD, UX and usability across many platforms. This role will be called upon to be a futurist, a strategist, a usability guru, and an industry thought leader in UX and design innovations for mobile devices and services. A balanced understanding and execution of strategy, research, usability, interaction, and visual design is necessary to help our client company develop a leadership position, by successfully predicting UX trends, and turning consumer insights and industry knowledge into actionable product and service opportunities.
Key responsibilities are to:
* Create, execute and communicate the UX and design vision and strategy, including creative direction & user research, that supports the overall strategies and integrates UCD into the product development process
* Coordinate UX activities in a multi-disciplinary UX team comprised of interaction & visual designers, product architecture & requirements engineers, and usability testing experts in a matrixed organization
* Be both a strong leader and individual contributor to all UX initiatives
* Work closely with business & engineering to prioritize and communicate user requirements in a UX roadmap that informs roadmap delivering differentiation via distinct user value
* Lead user research studies to understand and document target segment needs, anticipate user requirements, provide direction for product functionality, and identify innovation opportunities
* Perform usability testing during various phases of the product development process
* Build relationships with multiple external design vendors, business partners, and 3rd party applications developers
* 10+ years of hand-on experience in and expert understanding of the fundamentals of UCD, usability evaluation, redaction of personas, mental models, user path analysis, interaction design, information architecture, industrial design, visual communication design, ethnographic field research, task models, scenario building, storyboarding, use case development, interactive prototypes, survey creation and analysis, focus groups, performance benchmarking studies, and post-session analysis
* 5+ years of experience managing cross-functional or design teams
* Experience in user observation research, such as ethnography, contextual analysis, and/or usability testing, and integrating user research into design practices
* Experience in user interface and human factors design for mobile phone products and services, handheld consumer electronics products, handheld computers, or other consumer electronics devices highly desired
* Solid understanding of the wireless or semiconductor industries, or experience with Web 2.0 media, user generated content, and social applications is a major plus.
* Strong leadership skills to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced environment
* Excellent oral and written communication skills
* Outstanding analytical skills and attention to detail
* Demonstrated expertise with products such as PowerPoint, Visio, Photoshop, Illustrator, Inspiration, Fireworks, Flash, Dream weaver, Director, or other professional design tools for photography, video, 3D, animation, and layout
Minimum Bachelor's degree in, Human Factors, Human-Computer Interaction, Interaction Design, Graphic Design Communication Design, Product Design, Industrial Design Engineering, Fine Arts, Computer Science, Information Science Cognitive or Engineering Psychology, Cultural Anthropology, Knowledge Management or related field. (UX analysis, research, usability, information architecture, or related concerns in interactive design). Advanced Master's/PhD degree preferred.