Voting system design

9 Dec 2008 - 3:07pm
5 years ago
8 replies
564 reads
Dana Chisnell
2008

If you could design a voting system from scratch - with no constraints
- what would that look like?

Dana Chisnell
dana at usabilityworks.net

Sent from my iPhone

Comments

9 Dec 2008 - 5:26pm
Brian Forte
2004

Gentlefolk,

Dana Chisnell wrote:
>If you could design a voting system from scratch - with no
>constraints - what would that look like?

Hare-Clark: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hare-Clark>.

I'd also play linguistic god and ban use of the terms
'single-transferable vote' and 'instant run-off'. They'd be replaced
with 'Hare-Clark' and 'proportional preferential'.

The first term is in deference to the two people responsible for the
voting system and the second is in deference to the country
(Australia, and more particularly the state of Tasmania within
Australia) that pioneered use of it in actual elections and continues
to use it to this day.

We use this system in real life, I think we should get dibs on naming
the system. ;-)

The other voting system worth looking into is Range voting:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Range_voting>.

Regards,

Brian Forte.
--
words, edits, type, layout, code
<mailto:bforte at betweenborders.com>
<http://betweenborders.com/>

9 Dec 2008 - 5:25pm
Jarrod Lombardo
2008

Ron Rivest and Warren Smith have done some very interesting
design/research into secure voting systems.
http://people.csail.mit.edu/rivest/RivestSmith-ThreeVotingProtocolsThreeBallotVAVAndTwin.pdf

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Posted from the new ixda.org
http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=36321

9 Dec 2008 - 8:27pm
Dana Chisnell
2008

I'm concerned with security, of course. But totally blue-sky: What
would the experience be like? What's the vision 10 years out of
casting a ballot?

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Posted from the new ixda.org
http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=36321

9 Dec 2008 - 9:03pm
SemanticWill
2007

That's funny because that is straight out of Jared's 3Qs User Experience
blog post

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 8:27 PM, Dana Chisnell <dana at usabilityworks.net>wrote:

> I'm concerned with security, of course. But totally blue-sky: What
> would the experience be like? What's the vision 10 years out of
> casting a ballot?
>
>
> . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
> Posted from the new ixda.org
> http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=36321
>
>
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
>

--
~ will

"Where you innovate, how you innovate,
and what you innovate are design problems"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Will Evans | User Experience Architect
tel: +1.617.281.1281 | will at semanticfoundry.com
aim: semanticwill
gtalk: semanticwill
twitter: semanticwill
skype: semanticwill
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9 Dec 2008 - 10:12pm
jabbett
2008

A colleague of mine, Ben Adida, wrote his PhD thesis at MIT about
cryptographic voting systems. He has an online voting system that's freely
available at http://www.heliosvoting.org/

He also writes on the topic extensively--
http://benlog.com/articles/category/voting/ and
http://ben.adida.net/research/

-Jon

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 2:07 PM, Dana Chisnell <dana at usabilityworks.net>wrote:

> If you could design a voting system from scratch - with no constraints -
> what would that look like?
>
> Dana Chisnell
> dana at usabilityworks.net
>
> Sent from my iPhone
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
>

10 Dec 2008 - 1:34pm
Matt Nish-Lapidus
2007

There's a guy here in Toronto working on a continuous open election
platform that's really interesting.

http://zelea.com/project/votorola/

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 3:07 PM, Dana Chisnell <dana at usabilityworks.net> wrote:
> If you could design a voting system from scratch - with no constraints -
> what would that look like?
>
> Dana Chisnell
> dana at usabilityworks.net
>
> Sent from my iPhone
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
>

--
Matt Nish-Lapidus
--
personal: mattnl at gmail.com
twitter: emenel

10 Dec 2008 - 6:02am
Jaanus Kase
2008

In Estonia, we have been using Internet voting for a few years now,
and I'd say the voting experience itself is pretty smooth from the
IxD perspective. See
http://www.jaanuskase.com/en/2007/02/evoting_in_estonias_2007_parli.html
for a writeup.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Posted from the new ixda.org
http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=36321

10 Dec 2008 - 1:52pm
alyssa wright
2008

also, i've been helping mako hill and the mit center for future civic
media with a preferential voting system:

http://selectricity.org/

description:
Selectricity is voting machinery for the masses. We help groups make
better decisions, more easily. We allow voting, usually in form of
ranking a list of choices in order of preference, and have the computer
help groups make better decisions.

Selectricity is simple to use and convenient. Anyone can create the
simplest election in under a minute and voting is even easier. Results
can be computed instaneously.

we seem to have a similar log to votorola.

alyssa.

Matthew Nish-Lapidus wrote:
> There's a guy here in Toronto working on a continuous open election
> platform that's really interesting.
>
> http://zelea.com/project/votorola/
>
>
> On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 3:07 PM, Dana Chisnell <dana at usabilityworks.net> wrote:
>
>> If you could design a voting system from scratch - with no constraints -
>> what would that look like?
>>
>> Dana Chisnell
>> dana at usabilityworks.net
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>> ________________________________________________________________
>> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
>> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
>> Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
>> List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
>> List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
>>
>>
>
>
>
>

Syndicate content Get the feed