Paperback swamp?

12 Dec 2008 - 3:41pm
5 years ago
9 replies
559 reads
Eva Kaniasty
2007

Does anyone have an account on this, or a similar site? If a bunch of us
joined, I bet we could do pretty well circulating some very relevant titles.

http://www.paperbackswap.com/

-eva

Eva Kaniasty
http://www.linkedin.com/in/kaniasty

Comments

12 Dec 2008 - 3:48pm
Cindy Alvarez
2004

I use BookMooch, which is similar. There was an article comparing the those
and some other book swapping sites - the person who wrote it felt that
BookMooch had a poorer inventory than PaperbackSwap, but my experience has
been the reverse.

All of my UX/IxD books so far I'm keeping, though!

Cindy

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 12:41 PM, Eva Kaniasty <kaniasty at gmail.com> wrote:

> Does anyone have an account on this, or a similar site? If a bunch of us
> joined, I bet we could do pretty well circulating some very relevant
> titles.
>
>
> http://www.paperbackswap.com/
>
>
> -eva
>
>
> Eva Kaniasty
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/kaniasty
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
>

13 Dec 2008 - 10:45am
.pauric
2006

Eva, just throwing an idea out there.... would you be interested in
taking ownership of a Boston IxDA bookclub or bookswap meetup next
year.

We plan our every third event to be a 'social' I'm all for seeing
that be a little more IxD orientated other than drinks

p.m. boston.ixda at gmail.com if you or anyone else would like to set
this up.

Thanks /pauric

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Posted from the new ixda.org
http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=36419

16 Dec 2008 - 12:53pm
Cwodtke
2004

could we do something like this on UX bookclub site?

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 12:41 PM, Eva Kaniasty <kaniasty at gmail.com> wrote:

> Does anyone have an account on this, or a similar site? If a bunch of us
> joined, I bet we could do pretty well circulating some very relevant
> titles.
>
>
> http://www.paperbackswap.com/
>
>
> -eva
>
>
> Eva Kaniasty
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/kaniasty
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
>

17 Dec 2008 - 1:12am
martinpolley
2007

Great idea, but I think ownership could be a problem. I'm very attached to
my UX books. I wouldn't mind lending them or swapping on a temporary basis,
as long as I knew I'd get them back in the end.

Cheers,

Martin Polley
Technical writer, interaction designer
+972 52 3864280
Twitter: martinpolley
<http://capcloud.com/>

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 7:53 PM, Christina Wodtke
<cwodtke at eleganthack.com>wrote:

> could we do something like this on UX bookclub site?
>

17 Dec 2008 - 4:56am
yahnyinlondon
2008

Does anyone know if there is a non-US "Paperbackswap" website?

Tried to sign up and the only clue that it was US only was a
mandatory field for State which listed only US prefixes.

I'd be keen to swap or share some of the UX books I own.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Posted from the new ixda.org
http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=36419

18 Dec 2008 - 11:56am
Cindy Alvarez
2004

Bookmooch.com supports non-US users.

Anyone who signs up may choose whether to send only within their country or
to anywhere. Requesting a book from another country "costs" twice as many
credits and the sender receives twice as many credits, to compensate for the
additional postage costs.

Cindy
--
The Experience is the Product - http://www.cindyalvarez.com

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 1:56 AM, Amanda Jahn <yahny at yahnyinlondon.com>wrote:

> Does anyone know if there is a non-US "Paperbackswap" website?
>
> Tried to sign up and the only clue that it was US only was a
> mandatory field for State which listed only US prefixes.
>
> I'd be keen to swap or share some of the UX books I own.
>
>
> . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
> Posted from the new ixda.org
> http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=36419
>
>
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
>

18 Dec 2008 - 2:01pm
Eva Kaniasty
2007

I must say that I'm sorely tempted to register the paperbackSWAMP.com domain
name.

It has a certain ring to it.

Eva Kaniasty
http://www.linkedin.com/in/kaniasty

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 11:56 AM, Cindy Alvarez <cindy at cindyalvarez.com>wrote:

> Bookmooch.com supports non-US users.
>
> Anyone who signs up may choose whether to send only within their country or
> to anywhere. Requesting a book from another country "costs" twice as many
> credits and the sender receives twice as many credits, to compensate for
> the
> additional postage costs.
>
> Cindy
> --
> The Experience is the Product - http://www.cindyalvarez.com
>
> On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 1:56 AM, Amanda Jahn <yahny at yahnyinlondon.com
> >wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know if there is a non-US "Paperbackswap" website?
> >
> > Tried to sign up and the only clue that it was US only was a
> > mandatory field for State which listed only US prefixes.
> >
> > I'd be keen to swap or share some of the UX books I own.
> >
> >
> > . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
> > Posted from the new ixda.org
> > http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=36419
> >
> >
> > ________________________________________________________________
> > Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> > To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> > Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> > List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> > List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
> >
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
>

18 Dec 2008 - 2:09pm
Angel Marquez
2008

I like how the book moochers look like strange little book worms.

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 11:01 AM, Eva Kaniasty <kaniasty at gmail.com> wrote:

> I must say that I'm sorely tempted to register the paperbackSWAMP.com
> domain
> name.
>
> It has a certain ring to it.
>
>
> Eva Kaniasty
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/kaniasty
>
>
> On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 11:56 AM, Cindy Alvarez <cindy at cindyalvarez.com
> >wrote:
>
> > Bookmooch.com supports non-US users.
> >
> > Anyone who signs up may choose whether to send only within their country
> or
> > to anywhere. Requesting a book from another country "costs" twice as
> many
> > credits and the sender receives twice as many credits, to compensate for
> > the
> > additional postage costs.
> >
> > Cindy
> > --
> > The Experience is the Product - http://www.cindyalvarez.com
> >
> > On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 1:56 AM, Amanda Jahn <yahny at yahnyinlondon.com
> > >wrote:
> >
> > > Does anyone know if there is a non-US "Paperbackswap" website?
> > >
> > > Tried to sign up and the only clue that it was US only was a
> > > mandatory field for State which listed only US prefixes.
> > >
> > > I'd be keen to swap or share some of the UX books I own.
> > >
> > >
> > > . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
> > > Posted from the new ixda.org
> > > http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=36419
> > >
> > >
> > > ________________________________________________________________
> > > Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> > > To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> > > Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> > > List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> > > List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
> > >
> > ________________________________________________________________
> > Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> > To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> > Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> > List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> > List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
> >
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
>

18 Dec 2008 - 12:04pm
Anonymous

I have to be honest. After getting a library card when I was at
IDEA2008 at the Chicago Public Library, I have pretty much kick my
Amazon addiction, which was quite bad.

They don't have anything but it has saved me a lot of money!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Posted from the new ixda.org
http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=36419

Syndicate content Get the feed