JOB: Interaction Designer at GreatSchools in San Francisco, Contract to Hire
20 Mar 2009 - 1:33pm
The Interaction Designer will work in cross-functional teams to create
interactive designs for high-traffic web applications aimed at parents
of K-12 students. Experience with interface design, information
architecture, and interactive content design is required. A passion
for user-centered design and creating intuitive and engaging user
interfaces is key for this position.
What do we want you to do?
* Design innovative, engaging, and effective interactions that help
parents use our applications to solve problems.
How will you go about it?
* Develop user profiles or personas to help all teams come to a
shared understanding of who our customers are and what challenges
* Develop an information architecture and user task flows that pull
together the various resources we have to offer in intuitive ways.
* Ensure quality and effectiveness of visual designs by participating
in the design process, managing user testing, and collaborating with
the development team.
* Create wire frames, rapid prototypes and mock-ups to validate
design concepts with stakeholders and customers.
* Develop style guides and design specifications that developers will
use to implement and validate interaction designs.
How will you know you're successful?
* Work with measurement and product teams to define metrics for user
* Help define multivariant tests and integrate data from web
analytics into user interface designs.
* Conduct formal or informal user and usability testing to validate
the usability and intuitiveness of our interaction designs,
information architecture, and user flows.
* 4+ years interaction design experience in web application product
development. Experience with interaction design in an agile
development environment is a plus.
* Demonstrated experience in information architecture, user testing,
and prototyping for innovative product design.
* Ability to translate business requirements into effective UI
solutions, manage the development of usable design standards and
visual style guides, identify conflicting design requirements and
constructively solve problems for the end user.
* Thorough understanding of widgets, controls, and feedback
mechanisms used on the web, their appropriate uses and what they
communicate to users.
* Solid presentation skills and experience presenting design
scenarios and solutions confidently and credibly to internal
* Ability to manage time and resources on multiple projects with
multiple timelines. Ability to deal with changing priorities as needs
* Experience with running multivariant tests is desirable.
* Experience integrating video and interactive technologies is highly
* Strong proficiency with FireWorks, PhotoShop, Omnigraffle/Visio and
* Knowledge of developing in Flash a plus
Bachelor's degree in human factors, interaction design or related
discipline. Advanced degree in Design or HCI a plus.
A portfolio demonstrating interaction design experience is required.
Please send a URL in the body of your application.
You made it this far! Take the next step and send us an e-mail
telling us why you think you would be a great candidate for this
opportunity to jobs-ue.ixda at greatschools.net. Be sure to include
your resume and a link to your portfolio, and use "Interaction
Designer" in the subject line.
This is a contract position.Â Â Please contact us only if this is
what you are seeking. Must be authorized to work in the United States
on a full-time basis for any employer. We cannot sponsor H1B visas at
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage diversity in our
GreatSchools is an independent, nonprofit organization that empowers
and inspires parents to participate in their child's development and
Parents choose GreatSchools to connect with each other â to find
the right schools, to share stories and advice, and to get their
parenting questions answered. In the past year alone, more than 35
million people visited GreatSchools (www.greatschools.net) . With
hundreds of thousands of ratings and parent reviews about schools
across the country, GreatSchools is the paramount parent-to-parent
Our organization's mission is to empower parents with information
and tools so they can choose the best school for their children,
support their education, and improve schools in their communities. A
Webby award-winning site, GreatSchools is supported by many
foundations and corporations, including the Doris & Donald Fisher
Fund, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the Robertson Foundation,
the Walton Family Foundation, and more.