Hosting suggestions for IxDA.org

9 Oct 2009 - 4:48pm
4 years ago
4 replies
742 reads
Elizabeth Bacon
2003

Hi IxDA peeps,

We're looking for hosting service & Drupal support suggestions as
options to consider for the upcoming new IxDA.org website. Presently
we're hosted by Dreamhost and that may be the right option going
forward but we'd love to get some additional ideas from the
community. Here are our technical specifications:

- Web-accessible IP address
- Apache web server (2.x preferred)
- PHP 5.2 minimum
- MySQL 5.0 minimum
- Unix environment (OS X, Linux, BSD, Solaris, etc.) required
- PHP should be set to at least 64 MB of RAM per process, and we need
the Apache mod_rewrite module enabled on the server.
- IRunning an Opcode cache is recommended.
- Storage requirements of 2GB (1GB of storage space for the site's
mySQL database and an additional 1GB of storage for files like
images, videos, PDFs, etc. should be sufficient to begin with)
- Bandwidth requirements will be driven by the number of visits to
the site and the type of behavior visitors engage in while there. (We
presently have a membership of 12,000, and it's growing at a rate of
about 100 members per month. This past month, we've seen 50,000
visits, mostly via Google searches that land on our discussion
pages.)

The other major component is having Drupal admins available for
maintenance, fixing any problems that occur and possibly for making
ad-hoc changes to the system when needed.

We appreciate your inputs! Either post here or email me via
ixd(at)elizabethbacon(dot)com. Thank you!

Cheers,
Liz / IxDA Vice-President & Conan wrangler

Comments

9 Oct 2009 - 7:10pm
Gilberto Medrano
2008

Hi Elizabeth,

Acquia (www.acquia.com) is a company started by the creator of Drupal and
offers an interesting set of services that include hosting and support, all
in one place (http://acquia.com/products-services). Not sure if they have a
deal for non-profits but it's worth asking.

Cheers,

Gilberto

On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 7:48 AM, Elizabeth Bacon <lists at elizabethbacon.com>wrote:

> Hi IxDA peeps,
>
> We're looking for hosting service & Drupal support suggestions as
> options to consider for the upcoming new IxDA.org website. Presently
> we're hosted by Dreamhost and that may be the right option going
> forward but we'd love to get some additional ideas from the
> community. Here are our technical specifications:
>
> - Web-accessible IP address
> - Apache web server (2.x preferred)
> - PHP 5.2 minimum
> - MySQL 5.0 minimum
> - Unix environment (OS X, Linux, BSD, Solaris, etc.) required
> - PHP should be set to at least 64 MB of RAM per process, and we need
> the Apache mod_rewrite module enabled on the server.
> - IRunning an Opcode cache is recommended.
> - Storage requirements of 2GB (1GB of storage space for the site's
> mySQL database and an additional 1GB of storage for files like
> images, videos, PDFs, etc. should be sufficient to begin with)
> - Bandwidth requirements will be driven by the number of visits to
> the site and the type of behavior visitors engage in while there. (We
> presently have a membership of 12,000, and it's growing at a rate of
> about 100 members per month. This past month, we've seen 50,000
> visits, mostly via Google searches that land on our discussion
> pages.)
>
> The other major component is having Drupal admins available for
> maintenance, fixing any problems that occur and possibly for making
> ad-hoc changes to the system when needed.
>
> We appreciate your inputs! Either post here or email me via
> ixd(at)elizabethbacon(dot)com. Thank you!
>
> Cheers,
> Liz / IxDA Vice-President & Conan wrangler
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
>

13 Oct 2009 - 8:59am
Ben Rossi
2009

I've been very happy with MediaTemple. Their support and turn-around
on questions have been quick and accurate, and the price for
offerings is definitely competitive.

I recently moved over to a Virtual Server, so I'll report back in a
few weeks once I have the time to migrate all my sites.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Posted from the new ixda.org
http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=46570

13 Oct 2009 - 10:25am
Joe Lanman
2007

I've been on a vps from www.linode.com for nearly a year now - it's been a
great service and great value - highly recommended.

You do have to manage your own server, but it's not hard if you have someone
with some linux experience, and it gives you flexibility to run whatever you
want on it.

2009/10/13 Ben Rossi <ben at rossinet.com>

> I've been very happy with MediaTemple. Their support and turn-around
> on questions have been quick and accurate, and the price for
> offerings is definitely competitive.
>
> I recently moved over to a Virtual Server, so I'll report back in a
> few weeks once I have the time to migrate all my sites.
>
>
> . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
> Posted from the new ixda.org
> http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=46570
>
>
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> Unsubscribe ................ http://www.ixda.org/unsubscribe
> List Guidelines ............ http://www.ixda.org/guidelines
> List Help .................. http://www.ixda.org/help
>

--

http://formd.net

13 Oct 2009 - 10:48am
Elizabeth Bacon
2003

Thanks very much, folks! Got multiple additional rec's for Media
Temple offline, and one for Acquia as well due to the Drupal
connection. We're investigating our options.

Cheers,
Liz

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Posted from the new ixda.org
http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=46570

Syndicate content Get the feed