JOB: User Experience Designer, Blue Coat Systems, Waterloo, ON, Canada
6 Jan 2010 - 11:37am
User Experience Designer
Blue Coat Systems Canada Waterloo, Ontario
Blue Coat Systems is the technical leader in application delivery
networking. Blue Coat offers an application delivery network
infrastructure that optimizes and secures the flow of information to
any user, on any network, anywhere. Blue Coat offers unmatched
visibility into the security and performance of business applications
and web traffic running across the networks of the distributed
enterprise and provides the comprehensive application and user
control required to contain costs, enhance business productivity and
respond quickly to changing business requirements. Trusted by many
of the world's largest organizations including 97 of the Fortune
100, Blue Coat has shipped more than 20,000 proxy appliances.
The Blue Coat Proxy SG family of proxy appliances provides total
visibility and control of Web communications with wire-speed
performance. Based on Blue Coat SGOS, a custom, object-based
operating system with integrated caching, these proxy appliances
leverage existing authentication systems to enable flexible policy
enforcement down to the individual user. Proxy SG combines
comprehensive proxy support of all Web protocols with integrated
content filtering, instant messaging control, peer-to-peer (P2P)
control, streaming control, pop-up ad blocking and virus scanning.
Blue Coat's end-to-end product portfolio includes powerful
reporting, policy and configuration management software - delivering
a scalable proxy solution for centralized or distributed enterprise
The Waterloo Engineering group has taken on the task of revitalizing
the user interface for our flagship product. We are building a rich
internet application (RIA) in a highly collaborative agile
environment. This RIA will completely support the users workflow
while fitting into the latest products and technologies.
The typical duties for this position would include:
* Working with Subject Matter Experts, Systems Engineers and end
users to ensure that designs meet the task and user goals.
* Coordinating and facilitating all phases of usability study
preparation, including recruiting, scheduling, questionnaire
development, and scenario scripting.
* Performing usability testing on GUIs in both a lab and field
* Presenting findings with actionable recommendations, working with
team members to help prioritize recommendations into feasible
* Designing usable Graphical User Interfaces (GUIs)
* Documenting the designs in a structured and traceable manner.
* Creating mockups and prototypes of user interfaces.
* Writing style guides to ensure consistency and a common look and
feel to our products.
We are looking for someone with:
* At least 3 years of user interface design experience, preferably
in complex systems.
* Post secondary education in Psychology, Information Systems,
Computer Science or related discipline.
* Understanding of Human Factors and experience in applying
user-centered design methods
The following would be a real plus for the position:
* Ability to translate user needs analysis or other engineering
analysis to design requirements.
* Background in requirements gathering (interviewing and observation
* Ability to work in cross-functional teams
* Excellent communication and team working skills
* Ability to create effective documentation
* Graphic design
If you are looking for a challenge in a fast paced company, join Blue
Please send your resume to melissa.bernais [at] bluecoat.com