[JOB]:Software Manager- Usability: SAS R&D India. Pvt. Ltd: Pune
25 Feb 2010 - 6:35am
SAS R&D India (Pvt.) Ltd. seeks a Software Manager, usability for its R&D Usability team.
SAS is the leader in business analytics software and services, and the largest independent vendor in the business intelligence market. Through innovative solutions delivered within an integrated framework, SAS helps customers, at more than 45,000 sites, improve performance and deliver value by making better decisions faster. Since 1976, SAS has been giving customers around the world THE POWER TO KNOW(r).
SAS is No.1 on FORTUNE magazine's annual "100 Best Companies to Work For" list in America. SAS has made the list all 13 years since it was first established in 1998. This is the seventh time SAS has been in the top 10 and the fifth time in the top five.
SAS R&D India (Pvt.) Ltd., a wholly owned subsidiary of SAS Inc., USA, located in Pune, India, has been established as a key Development Center for research and development of products and solutions of SAS. The R&D center employs over 280 personnel with technical and business expertise to support and augment the initiatives undertaken by SAS.
Provides direction to usability group employees using established policies and procedures. Work is reviewed for soundness of judgment and overall quality and efficiency. Assignments are received in task-oriented terms. Erroneous decisions or recommendations, or failure to achieve results might cause delays in schedules. Accomplishes results through employees at various levels.
Provides product usability, evaluation and support to development teams for assigned products / solutions. Creates, evaluates and modifies prototypes to support evolving software application development. Develops user profiles, with emphasis on human error control, display issues, visual interaction, and task and objective analyses. Develops and applies software design/usability processes in the investigation of technical problems. Produces specifications describing the appearance and behavior of the user interface for a product in development.
* Influences product or business goals based on usability research and broad domain and/or technical knowledge. Adjusts usability strategy during development to match changing needs, resources, opportunities, and business goals. Reviews work of usability team members. Collaborates with UI and development management on staffing levels for product area.
* Gains a broad knowledge of usability methods and their costs and benefits. Integrates usability conclusions with other information (market research, technology) to influence product direction.
* Develops deep expertise in a usability method, tool, or application domain. Makes a conference presentation. Chairs internal discussion group for cross-product usability topic.
* Provides leadership, as appropriate, for projects; trains and guides activities of team members.
* Organizes and prioritizes group responsibilities/objectives in light of division, and corporate goals; guides employees accordingly.
* Ensures that projects are completed on time following established procedures and schedules.
* Focuses usability activities on cross-product design issues. Reviews usability work and gives feedback to usability analysts.
* Works directly on projects as needs dictate and time permits in order to achieve assigned goals.
* Liaisons on internal basis with team members and development managers. Liaison normally involves specific phases of a project. External contact usually involves software demonstrations or paper presentations.
* Liaisons with HQ Usability directors for work allocation and global standards/guidelines.
* Regularly contributes to corporate-wide usability initiatives by actively participating in usability community meetings and presentations.
* Works in cross functional teams to translate functional requirements into system design.
* Designs, develops, and documents high level and detailed storyboards, mock-ups and/or prototypes to effectively communicate designs. Run designs reviews, usage walkthroughs, and usability tests with key stakeholders and representative users to validate designs.
* Works on multiple products and/or technologies supporting multiple products with expanded scope of influence.
* Defines task flow for complex problems and for interaction across multiple products. Gains deep understanding of users, and familiarity with technology.
* Demonstrates application of psychological and physiological principles of human behavior to the design and development of software, user research expertise, task analysis, participatory design, and field studies.
* Proficient in experimental and quasi-experimental design for the purposes of usability evaluation and design comparisons; proficient in quantitative and qualitative data analysis; proficient in developing usability test scenarios; experience with standard usability evaluation questionnaires.
* Proficient in questionnaire development; proficient in interview techniques; creates screen designs using advanced image processing tools, e.g., Photoshop, Illustrator, ... develops low fidelity and high-fidelity functional prototypes using VB, HTML, JSP, Java, Flash, XML, CSS; familiar with UI guidelines for relevant development platforms: Windows, Apple, Swing, Eclipse.
* Familiar with common UI design patterns; identifies emerging interaction patterns within internal and external software.
* Develops new interaction patterns to support common task flows; must be able to work on several projects concurrently.
* Ability to make strategic and tactical design recommendations based on usability findings and standard design practices.
* Must be able to communicate and work productively in a multidisciplinary environment; active in UI community - publishes papers in relevant publications/books, presents papers and/or posters at conferences/seminars.
* Having wide-ranging experience, uses professional concepts and company objectives to resolve complex issues in creative and effective ways.
* Good oral and written communication, organizational, and leadership skills.
* Knowledge and experience in Project Planning, Project Tracking, Risk Management, Time Management, Schedule Management, People Management, Issue Management and Budget Management.
* Ability to readily solve problems and deal with many demands simultaneously. Ability to develop creative solutions to complex problems.
* Self-motivated individual with initiative and ability to learn and explore.
* Strong decision-making ability.
Bachelor's or masters degree in Computer Science, Design, Human-Computer Interaction, Computer Graphics, Cognitive Psychology, or related field. Minimum ten years of related experience in the field of usability and interaction design, with minimum 2-3 years in management role.
To apply, please Talk to our Talent Acquisition team @
020 3041 8700