FT Job: Rich Media Interaction Designer at Yahoo!, Sunnyvale CA
18 Apr 2005 - 5:47pm
Position: Interaction Designer for Rich Media presentation group at Yahoo!
Location: Sunnyvale, California
Yahoo is committed to the best web interfaces on the planet, and your
mission will be to spread your expertise across the company. We are
focused on integrating DHTML/AJAX across existing and new Yahoo
• Develop cool, rich prototypes to prove what is possible. You must
understand the difference between flashy bells and whistles and an
interface that makes a better user experience.
• Present classes on the best approaches for designing DHTML web
pages, drawing on your years of experience
• As a mentor, you will act as advisor, provide design expertise and
guidance, and point to available resources on DHTML. You will need to
keep abreast of emerging developments.
• This job will be fast paced – you will be working on completely
different projects from month to month. You will setup an existing
team with the skills they need, and then you will hand it off.
Competencies (Skills, Knowledge, Experience and Attitude)
• 3+ years experience as a key member of a UI team participating in
the complete product development lifecycle of several successfully
launched web and/or software applications
• Able to develop new approaches to complex design problems and can
convey ideas into tangible form
• You should be able to personally demonstrate your abilities with
demos, blogs, web sites, articles, or anything else that would
establish that you really understand this stuff.
• You must understand cross browser issues with Firefox and IE. Other
browsers are a plus.
• An understanding and ability to design for reusable components.
• You must be very comfortable speaking to large groups, which means
you must be an excellent communicator and very fluent in English. You
must like interacting with others and be motivational.
• Experience designing desktop applications with significant GUI's.
You must understand human interaction issues.
• Have experience in quickly designing and creating fast prototypes
and proofs of concept.
• You must like challenging design problems. We are looking for
someone who can solve complex issues.
• Be flexible and able to work with a diverse team that includes
engineers, marketing, product managers and other designers
• To be successful in any role at Yahoo! requires someone who has a
sense of urgency, doesn't take themselves too seriously, is passionate
about the internet, happy to roll their sleeves up and get stuck in,
game for a laugh, happy in an informal, hectic environment, who enjoys
working under pressure to tight deadlines and has a high tolerance for
ambiguity and change.
• Bachelor's or Master's degree in Interaction Design, Industrial
Design, Human Factors, HCI, Graphic Design or related field
• Experience designing in and for Flash a plus.
Reports to Director of Design, Platform Design (that would be me)
Please send resume's directly to me.
Director of Design, Platform Design Group, UED, Yahoo!