Inline editing

7 Sep 2005 - 8:05pm
8 years ago
9 replies
810 reads
Rajesh Sidharthan
2005

Hi all,
I am looking for some interesting examples/thoughts on in-line editing
(editing the properties of a table line item without opening any dialogs).
Please share any examples, experiences or thoughts in this area.

Thanks
</raj>

Comments

8 Sep 2005 - 2:31am
nuritps
2010

-----------------
I am looking for some interesting examples/thoughts on in-line editing
(editing the properties of a table line item without opening any dialogs).
Please share any examples, experiences or thoughts in this area.

Thanks
</raj>

--------------

Can you be more specific? Especially about the type of the application -
Windows, Web, ...? Each has different considerations.

In a web applications the main issue I have trouble with is saving. If you
have a long list (we have thousand og records to present) then it is a big
question. We have a list with paging, so questions like... Does the user
save with each next / previous, does it require the user to click on save or
will 'next' save automatically, will save actually save the full list or
just the visible page (we only save the page), what about sorting??? That's
a tough one (we have an alert), and of course you need to handle back and
any other way out of the list (again an alert).

Another issue is with deleting a record / a line from the list while being
able to do other editing and then you have a submit button. When is the
record deleted? Usually if possible it is good to separate delete and
editing because it is confusing, that will be my first choice.
But if you can't... We made the deleted "look" deleted (gray and strike
through) so it is not deleted from the database yet but it will be once the
user submits. I will be happy to hear about other solutions.

Hope it's any help
Nurit

Nurit Peres
Analysis & Usability Manager

:: nurit.peres at ams-sys.com <mailto:nurit.peres at ams-sys.com>

8 Sep 2005 - 5:25am
Omri Eliav
2004

> I am looking for some interesting examples/thoughts on in-line editing
_____________________

We use a preview pane for editing by using in-line method (web).

Each page usually have some relatively small table lists. (And some other,
form-like data).
By double click a row on the grid, it turns editable, meaning each cell
content is replaced by its representative control (text, select, date,
checkbox etc.).
Above the grid, on the right, there are [+][-] buttons to add blank editable
row or delete selected one (select by click).
Each change on page triggers loading (animated) of bright [Save] [Cancel]
footer.
All edited rows remains in edit mode till save/cancel action.

Troubles:
- Complicated data that is hard to represent with control. (We rarely open
dialog, from buttcon in cell, for very specific data, for example - payment
method)
- Preview fields must be equal to edit fields (Sometimes it is unnecessary
to view all details, here we must)
- Field validation/error, when, how. (We use balloons on field onChange)
- How to act when the user select different master entity from the other
pane or navigate to some other place. (We use dialog alert)
- Hard to implement (I help them :-)

This solution was tailored to our system and I guess may not fit to others.

Omri Eliav

8 Sep 2005 - 4:41am
Suresh JV
2004

Look here.
http://webui30.componentart.com/grid/features/editing_dataClientMode/WebForm
1.aspx

Regards,
Suresh JV.

> -----Original Message-----
> From:
> discuss-interactiondesigners.com-bounces at lists.interactiondesigners.com
> [mailto:discuss-interactiondesigners.com-bounces at lists.interactiondesign
> ers.com]On Behalf Of Rajesh Sidharthan
> Sent: Thursday, September 08, 2005 6:35 AM
> To: discuss at ixdg.org
> Subject: [ID Discuss] Inline editing
>
>
> [Please voluntarily trim replies to include only relevant quoted
> material.]
>
> Hi all,
> I am looking for some interesting examples/thoughts on in-line editing
> (editing the properties of a table line item without opening any dialogs).
> Please share any examples, experiences or thoughts in this area.
>
> Thanks
> </raj>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Group!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixdg.org
> (Un)Subscription Options ... http://discuss.ixdg.org/
> Announcements List ......... http://subscribe-announce.ixdg.org/
> Questions .................. lists at ixdg.org
> Home ....................... http://ixdg.org/

8 Sep 2005 - 5:54am
Dave Malouf
2005

Isn't this just a spreadsheet?
W/ AJAX type tech you can actually create a pretty darn good spreadsheet
online. :)
You can more easily do this in Flash though ...
But I like Omri's idea (and I have seen it) where you have a column frame
dedicated to filling out data on a specified row. It isn't inline but it is
within the right context. That's what we do for our expense reports.

-- dave

8 Sep 2005 - 7:15am
nuritps
2010

> I am looking for some interesting examples/thoughts on in-line editing
_____________________

Omri wrote:
>By double click a row on the grid, it turns editable,

How important is the "double click" ? If the user has a lot of editing to do
it easier to just go in and edit...

>Above the grid, on the right, there are [+][-] buttons to add blank
editable row or delete selected one (select by click).

If the user deletes a row and it is not visible any more, how will she know
she still need to "Save" it ?

I guess the amount of editing is also a factor, if you only have a few, you
can do one at a time. We have a long list of companies the user go over the
addresses and correct them, and the time it takes is a major factor.

Another thing to consider is using links (as in the WebUI) vs. buttons, I
still try to use buttons for actions but not as sure as before it is the
right way.

Nurit

Nurit Peres
Analysis & Usability Manager

:: nurit.peres at ams-sys.com <mailto:nurit.peres at ams-sys.com>

8 Sep 2005 - 8:53am
Omri Eliav
2004

>Omri wrote:
>>By double click a row on the grid, it turns editable,
Nurit wrote:
>How important is the "double click" ? If the user has a lot of editing to
do it easier to just go in and edit...

We decided to use double click since the object we act upon can have
selected state without any relation to the edit action i.e. the user can
select a row for deleting purpose or other functions we have in different
places. We thought changing the row state in selection-only will be
irritating.
So first click is selection, second is action upon selection. (standard is
it? - we do rich application).

>Omri wrote:
>>Above the grid, on the right, there are [+][-] buttons to add blank
editable row or delete selected one (select by click).
Nurit wrote:
>If the user deletes a row and it is not visible any more, how will she know
she still need to "Save" it ?

As I mentioned we load save/cancel footer for every change on page. Since
it's "preview page" as well this footer is not usually on page.

8 Sep 2005 - 11:22am
Juan Lanus
2005

On 9/7/05, Rajesh wrote:
> ... on in-line editing ... without opening any dialogs

Hi Rajesh,

In my applications there are lots of table edits ("grids" in the
plattform parlance). Really many.
It's the desktop database based bureaucratic kind of application
running in Windows and developed with VB.

I (almost) never do in-line editing, but this is not an attempt to
make you change your mind.

In my apps when a user (single) clicks a row the form containing the
grid gets locked and a new, modal, form opens with the row data in
editable fields. The user does his deeds and either clicks "cancel" =
touches Esc, or clicks "OK" = Enter.

The OK case fires a routine that controls all the fields in the form =
row as one unit, which is what is needed. In database parlance, this
is much like a "trigger" would do as apposed to a single column
constraint check.
If the whole set of fields makes the cut then the database can be updated.

But I want to drive attention to the prior point, when you have an
updated row and need to validate all fields as a unit.
Somehow your online editing must provide this functionality. As if the
editable row were a small flat and long form superimposed over the
grid row.

As an example imagine the data is an address in USA or Canada:
depending on the country the state/province column will alter it's
range. But usually the state/prov field will be entered before the
country. If the state is changing from NY to Alberta then the country
field is invalid but the program must refrain to complain about this
until the user "commits" the whole row. This is the "formish"
behaviour that must be observed both updating inline or with a form:
your user needs a means to tell the UI then he's done editing this
pticular row as in the OK button of my form.

Should you implement the checking somewhere in the server side (for
example as a database trigger) then you must do the row update
immediatly to show the user any complains before he leaves the
particular spot.
If your application is webbish thern using AJAX-like techniques it's
feasible to send back the single row and wait for a response from the
server. This is not bleeding-edge technology, it's been there for
quite a while.

The fields in a grid row can be seen as unrelated cells only in the
most simple cases. Usually editing one field can raise a lot of
relationship checking, as Nurit pointed. Both in-row, with other rows,
and with other views.
--
Juan Lanus

8 Sep 2005 - 11:21am
Rajesh Sidharthan
2005

Hi Nurit,
I was being vague on purpose :)
I was hoping to get brain dumps without limitations.
Thanks for taking time to respond. Appreciate the valuable feedback from
everyone.

</raj>

Nurit Peres wrote:

>-----------------
>I am looking for some interesting examples/thoughts on in-line editing
>(editing the properties of a table line item without opening any dialogs).
>Please share any examples, experiences or thoughts in this area.
>
>Thanks
></raj>
>
>--------------
>
>Can you be more specific? Especially about the type of the application -
>Windows, Web, ...? Each has different considerations.
>
>In a web applications the main issue I have trouble with is saving. If you
>have a long list (we have thousand og records to present) then it is a big
>question. We have a list with paging, so questions like... Does the user
>save with each next / previous, does it require the user to click on save or
>will 'next' save automatically, will save actually save the full list or
>just the visible page (we only save the page), what about sorting??? That's
>a tough one (we have an alert), and of course you need to handle back and
>any other way out of the list (again an alert).
>
>Another issue is with deleting a record / a line from the list while being
>able to do other editing and then you have a submit button. When is the
>record deleted? Usually if possible it is good to separate delete and
>editing because it is confusing, that will be my first choice.
>But if you can't... We made the deleted "look" deleted (gray and strike
>through) so it is not deleted from the database yet but it will be once the
>user submits. I will be happy to hear about other solutions.
>
>Hope it's any help
>Nurit
>
>
>
>Nurit Peres
>Analysis & Usability Manager
>
>:: nurit.peres at ams-sys.com <mailto:nurit.peres at ams-sys.com>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

8 Sep 2005 - 11:31am
Rajesh Sidharthan
2005

This site is a great resource.
I was looking at their main site. There are a lot of interesting
interactive samples there.
http://webui30.componentart.com/

</raj>

Suresh JV wrote:

>Look here.
>http://webui30.componentart.com/grid/features/editing_dataClientMode/WebForm
>1.aspx
>
>
>
>Regards,
>Suresh JV.
>
>
>
>
>>-----Original Message-----
>>From:
>>discuss-interactiondesigners.com-bounces at lists.interactiondesigners.com
>>[mailto:discuss-interactiondesigners.com-bounces at lists.interactiondesign
>>ers.com]On Behalf Of Rajesh Sidharthan
>>Sent: Thursday, September 08, 2005 6:35 AM
>>To: discuss at ixdg.org
>>Subject: [ID Discuss] Inline editing
>>
>>
>>[Please voluntarily trim replies to include only relevant quoted
>>material.]
>>
>>Hi all,
>>I am looking for some interesting examples/thoughts on in-line editing
>>(editing the properties of a table line item without opening any dialogs).
>>Please share any examples, experiences or thoughts in this area.
>>
>>Thanks
>></raj>
>>
>>_______________________________________________
>>Welcome to the Interaction Design Group!
>>To post to this list ....... discuss at ixdg.org
>>(Un)Subscription Options ... http://discuss.ixdg.org/
>>Announcements List ......... http://subscribe-announce.ixdg.org/
>>Questions .................. lists at ixdg.org
>>Home ....................... http://ixdg.org/
>>
>>
>
>
>

Syndicate content Get the feed