Interaction of men with products

7 Nov 2005 - 3:49pm
8 years ago
4 replies
337 reads
MEDEIROS Wellin...
2005

Dear all

I was wondering if someone is working with the emotional/affective interaction of men specifically with artefacts/products. Any reference on empirical (or theoretical) research/method regarding this subject is warmly welcome. I will summarise the replies and e-mail back to the list.

Thank you in advance.

Wellington Gomes de Medeiros
PhD candidate
Staffordshire University
Faculty of Arts, Media and Design
K25, Flaxman Building, College Road
Stoke-on-Trent,
ST4 2DE
United Kingdom
++44 01782 294555
w.g.medeiros at staffs.ac.uk
wg.medeiros at uol.com.br
<mailto:wg.medeiros at uol.com.br>

The information in this email is confidential and is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorised.

If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, except for the purpose of delivery to the addressee, is prohibited and may be unlawful. Kindly notify the sender and delete the message and any attachment from your computer.

Comments

7 Nov 2005 - 7:23pm
Wendy Fischer
2004

Yes, it's called "marriage".

It's the easiest way to do research on men and their
interaction with products.

--- MEDEIROS Wellington G <W.G.Medeiros at staffs.ac.uk>
wrote:

> [Please voluntarily trim replies to include only
> relevant quoted material.]
>
> Dear all
>
>
>
> I was wondering if someone is working with the
> emotional/affective interaction of men specifically
> with artefacts/products. Any reference on empirical
> (or theoretical) research/method regarding this
> subject is warmly welcome. I will summarise the
> replies and e-mail back to the list.
>
>
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Wellington Gomes de Medeiros
> PhD candidate
> Staffordshire University
> Faculty of Arts, Media and Design
> K25, Flaxman Building, College Road
> Stoke-on-Trent,
> ST4 2DE
> United Kingdom
> ++44 01782 294555
> w.g.medeiros at staffs.ac.uk
> wg.medeiros at uol.com.br
> <mailto:wg.medeiros at uol.com.br>
>
>
> The information in this email is confidential and is
> intended solely for the addressee. Access to this
> email by anyone else is unauthorised.
>
>
>
> If you are not the intended recipient, any
> disclosure, copying, distribution or any action
> taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it,
> except for the purpose of delivery to the addressee,
> is prohibited and may be unlawful. Kindly notify
> the sender and delete the message and any attachment
> from your computer.
>
________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association
> (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> (Un)Subscription Options ...
> http://subscription-options.ixda.org/
> Announcements List .........
> http://subscribe-announce.ixda.org/
> Questions .................. lists at ixda.org
> Home ....................... http://ixda.org/
> Resource Library ...........
> http://resources.ixda.org
>

8 Nov 2005 - 10:47am
Jared M. Spool
2003

At 07:23 PM 11/7/2005, Wendy Fischer wrote:
>Yes, it's called "marriage".
>
>It's the easiest way to do research on men and their
>interaction with products.

From what my wife told me, it wasn't that *easy* at all...

Jared

8 Nov 2005 - 12:54pm
Wendy Fischer
2004

You have to conduct "experiments" on the the subjects
without them knowing it in order to see how they react
to the products.

Also useful is watching them react to the credit card
bill when the test moderator buys the products. :P

--- "Jared M. Spool" <jspool at uie.com> wrote:

> At 07:23 PM 11/7/2005, Wendy Fischer wrote:
> >Yes, it's called "marriage".
> >
> >It's the easiest way to do research on men and
> their
> >interaction with products.
>
> From what my wife told me, it wasn't that *easy* at
> all...
>
> Jared
>
>
>
>

9 Nov 2005 - 1:01pm
Ian Chan
2005

Hilarious!

There's a film out of Norway called Kitchen Stories about a fictitious
Swedish appliance research insitute. They send these ethnographers out to
"observe" men in their kitchens (50's time period). Of course the observer's
presence, seated as he is in a high chair overlooking the kitchen table,
changes the subject's behavior, and the whole film ends up a metaphor for
Scandinavian emotianal distance vs community and warmth, etc etc.. Highly
recommend it.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0323872/?fr=c2l0ZT1kZnx0dD0xfGZiPXV8cG49MHxrdz0xfHE9
a2l0Y2hlbiBzdG9yaWVzfGZ0PTF8bXg9MjB8bG09NTAwfGNvPTF8aHRtbD0xfG5tPTE_;fc=1;ft
=22

Adrian

> [Please voluntarily trim replies to include only relevant quoted material.]
>
> Yes, it's called "marriage".
>
> It's the easiest way to do research on men and their
> interaction with products.
>
> --- MEDEIROS Wellington G <W.G.Medeiros at staffs.ac.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> [Please voluntarily trim replies to include only
>> relevant quoted material.]
>>
>> Dear all
>>
>>
>>
>> I was wondering if someone is working with the
>> emotional/affective interaction of men specifically
>> with artefacts/products. Any reference on empirical
>> (or theoretical) research/method regarding this
>> subject is warmly welcome. I will summarise the
>> replies and e-mail back to the list.
>>
>>
>>
>> Thank you in advance.
>>
>> Wellington Gomes de Medeiros
>> PhD candidate
>> Staffordshire University
>> Faculty of Arts, Media and Design
>> K25, Flaxman Building, College Road
>> Stoke-on-Trent,
>> ST4 2DE
>> United Kingdom
>> ++44 01782 294555
>> w.g.medeiros at staffs.ac.uk
>> wg.medeiros at uol.com.br
>> <mailto:wg.medeiros at uol.com.br>
>>

Syndicate content Get the feed