Online Whiteboard App

18 Jan 2006 - 10:14am
8 years ago
10 replies
1176 reads
Chris Nagele
2005

Does anyone know of software or services that allow online collaborative
whiteboard sketching? I work with designers in various locations and we lack
the ability to quickly sketch and discuss design concepts. In most cases, we
have to review and discuss as the concepts are delivered. This ends up
wasting a lot of time and prevents us from coming up with innovations as a
team.

Any advice or recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

--
Chris Nagele
Principal, Wildbit
Blog: http://tidbit.wildbit.com

Comments

18 Jan 2006 - 10:39am
Jonas Höglund
2006

Chris,

I don't know of any whiteboard apps but I've been wanting one for my
self for a while. Me and my fellow designers are located at different
locations, in different time zones. I sit for ours, every day, talking
over Skype about different design solutions. Each and everyone of us
having a local Photoshop file open on our computers.

What I've been thinking about in the last few days is that it would be
nice with an app or a Skype plugin that lets me share a screenshot,
whith out having to save the file localy, send it, etc.. Just make a
snaphot, and it pops-up on the others screen. Kind of a p2p screenshot app.

Does anyone know of such an application?

Jonas

Chris Nagele wrote:

>[Please voluntarily trim replies to include only relevant quoted material.]
>
>Does anyone know of software or services that allow online collaborative
>whiteboard sketching? I work with designers in various locations and we lack
>the ability to quickly sketch and discuss design concepts. In most cases, we
>have to review and discuss as the concepts are delivered. This ends up
>wasting a lot of time and prevents us from coming up with innovations as a
>team.
>
>Any advice or recommendations are greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>Chris
>
>--
>Chris Nagele
>Principal, Wildbit
>Blog: http://tidbit.wildbit.com
>
>
>
>________________________________________________________________
>Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
>To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
>List Guidelines ............ http://listguide.ixda.org/
>List Help .................. http://listhelp.ixda.org/
>(Un)Subscription Options ... http://subscription-options.ixda.org/
>Announcements List ......... http://subscribe-announce.ixda.org/
>Questions .................. lists at ixda.org
>Home ....................... http://ixda.org/
>Resource Library ........... http://resources.ixda.org
>
>

18 Jan 2006 - 11:00am
Austin Govella
2004

On 1/18/06, Chris Nagele <cn at wildbit.com> wrote:
> Does anyone know of software or services that allow online collaborative
> whiteboard sketching?

Not really high fidelity, but Yahoo IM has a collaborative sketching
tool I've used in conjunction with a cell phone to has things out in
real-time over a distance.

--
Austin Govella
Thinking & Making: IA, UX, and IxD
http://thinkingandmaking.com
austin.govella at gmail.com

18 Jan 2006 - 11:12am
Chris Nagele
2005

I have tried GroupBoard (http://www.groupboard.com/) and even MSN Messenger
has a whiteboard tool. Both work, but we use Yahoo IM and it would be nice
to have an integrated solution. I have never noticed a sketching tool in
Yahoo IM. Where can I find it? There are many possible solutions or hacks to
this, but so far I have not found one that I am comfortable with.

BTW: We use Wacom tablets, so sketching is the easy part. We just need the
application that helps us collaborate.

Thanks,
Chris

--
Chris Nagele
Principal, Wildbit
Blog: http://tidbit.wildbit.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Austin Govella [mailto:austin.govella at gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 11:00 AM
To: cn at wildbit.com
Cc: discuss at ixda.org
Subject: Re: [IxDA Discuss] Online Whiteboard App

On 1/18/06, Chris Nagele <cn at wildbit.com> wrote:
> Does anyone know of software or services that allow online collaborative
> whiteboard sketching?

Not really high fidelity, but Yahoo IM has a collaborative sketching
tool I've used in conjunction with a cell phone to has things out in
real-time over a distance.

--
Austin Govella
Thinking & Making: IA, UX, and IxD
http://thinkingandmaking.com
austin.govella at gmail.com

18 Jan 2006 - 11:14am
Baldo
2005

netmeeting
or
http://www.imaginationcubed.com/LaunchPage

too simple for your task, but let's give a try

On 1/18/06, Jonas Höglund <jonas a swatdesign.com> wrote:
> [Please voluntarily trim replies to include only relevant quoted material.]
>
> Chris,
>
> I don't know of any whiteboard apps but I've been wanting one for my
> self for a while. Me and my fellow designers are located at different
> locations, in different time zones. I sit for ours, every day, talking
> over Skype about different design solutions. Each and everyone of us
> having a local Photoshop file open on our computers.
>
> What I've been thinking about in the last few days is that it would be
> nice with an app or a Skype plugin that lets me share a screenshot,
> whith out having to save the file localy, send it, etc.. Just make a
> snaphot, and it pops-up on the others screen. Kind of a p2p screenshot app.
>
> Does anyone know of such an application?
>
> Jonas
>
> Chris Nagele wrote:
>
> >[Please voluntarily trim replies to include only relevant quoted material.]
> >
> >Does anyone know of software or services that allow online collaborative
> >whiteboard sketching? I work with designers in various locations and we lack
> >the ability to quickly sketch and discuss design concepts. In most cases, we
> >have to review and discuss as the concepts are delivered. This ends up
> >wasting a lot of time and prevents us from coming up with innovations as a
> >team.
> >
> >Any advice or recommendations are greatly appreciated.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Chris
> >
> >--
> >Chris Nagele
> >Principal, Wildbit
> >Blog: http://tidbit.wildbit.com
> >
> >
> >
> >________________________________________________________________
> >Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> >To post to this list ....... discuss a ixda.org
> >List Guidelines ............ http://listguide.ixda.org/
> >List Help .................. http://listhelp.ixda.org/
> >(Un)Subscription Options ... http://subscription-options.ixda.org/
> >Announcements List ......... http://subscribe-announce.ixda.org/
> >Questions .................. lists a ixda.org
> >Home ....................... http://ixda.org/
> >Resource Library ........... http://resources.ixda.org
> >
> >
>
>
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss a ixda.org
> List Guidelines ............ http://listguide.ixda.org/
> List Help .................. http://listhelp.ixda.org/
> (Un)Subscription Options ... http://subscription-options.ixda.org/
> Announcements List ......... http://subscribe-announce.ixda.org/
> Questions .................. lists a ixda.org
> Home ....................... http://ixda.org/
> Resource Library ........... http://resources.ixda.org
>

--
Baldo - baldus a gmail.com
www.sanbaldo.com

18 Jan 2006 - 11:07am
Kyle Cooney
2006

I haven't used this to colloborate with others, but perhaps this will suit
your needs:

http://www.imaginationcubed.com/LaunchPage

Try it out, I'd be interested in how well it works.

Best,

Kyle

--
Now browsing: http://del.icio.us/kccdc

18 Jan 2006 - 11:01am
Adler
2006

some years ago I tried Babylon. It had a text and a sketch area but it
was very simple and not that useful to sketch with the mouse. Perhaps
they have a better version now..

in the help file I found the contact: jamesamc at yahoo.com (Andy).
this was under the GNU licence and it was the version 2.01.

Adler

On 1/18/06, Chris Nagele <cn at wildbit.com> wrote:
> Does anyone know of software or services that allow online collaborative
> whiteboard sketching? I work with designers in various locations and we lack
> the ability to quickly sketch and discuss design concepts. In most cases, we
> have to review and discuss as the concepts are delivered. This ends up
> wasting a lot of time and prevents us from coming up with innovations as a
> team.

18 Jan 2006 - 12:44pm
michel.milano
2005

>
>Any advice or recommendations are greatly appreciated.

chris,

i dont have a complete sense of your needs from this,
so perhaps you have already gone through the obvious options,
but ... have you tried simple searching on the terms "online whiteboard?"
a plethora of options exist.

speaking to some stable ones,
webex allows shared on screen annotations to a whiteboard level of detail,
even on top of a different image like a photoshop file.
you can pass the pen around the circle.
what-used-to-be-known-as-Groove also featured this ability.

is free your requirement?
run those query terms on versiontracker.com or your favorite equivalent
for shareware.

- michel milano

18 Jan 2006 - 12:00pm
Sam Thorne
2006

Though it's Mac OS X only, iStorm is a shared whiteboard app. I've
never actually tried using it though, just remembered looking at it a
while back.
http://www.mathgamehouse.com/istorm/index.html

On 18 Jan 2006, at 15:14PM, Chris Nagele wrote:

> [Please voluntarily trim replies to include only relevant quoted
> material.]
>
> Does anyone know of software or services that allow online
> collaborative
> whiteboard sketching? I work with designers in various locations
> and we lack
> the ability to quickly sketch and discuss design concepts. In most
> cases, we
> have to review and discuss as the concepts are delivered. This ends up
> wasting a lot of time and prevents us from coming up with
> innovations as a
> team.
>

Regards,

Sam Thorne
Interaction Design

Web: http://www.native.com/
Tel: +44 (0)207 588 7970
Fax: +44 (0)207 588 7971

18 Jan 2006 - 1:01pm
Máirín Duffy
2005

Jonas Höglund wrote:
> What I've been thinking about in the last few days is that it would be
> nice with an app or a Skype plugin that lets me share a screenshot,
> whith out having to save the file localy, send it, etc.. Just make a
> snaphot, and it pops-up on the others screen. Kind of a p2p screenshot app.

I haven't used it before since it doesn't work on Linux but -
http://www.hello.com/ <= this seems to be what you're looking for? It integrates
with Google's Picasa as well.

~m

19 Jan 2006 - 12:29pm
Chris Nagele
2005

Thank you everyone for all of the ideas. I think we will give Imagination
Cubed a try and see how it works out.

-Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: discuss-bounces at lists.interactiondesigners.com
[mailto:discuss-bounces at lists.interactiondesigners.com] On Behalf Of Kyle
Cooney
Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 11:08 AM
To: Jonas Höglund
Cc: discuss at ixda.org
Subject: Re: [IxDA Discuss] Online Whiteboard App

[Please voluntarily trim replies to include only relevant quoted material.]

I haven't used this to colloborate with others, but perhaps this will suit
your needs:

http://www.imaginationcubed.com/LaunchPage

Try it out, I'd be interested in how well it works.

Best,

Kyle

--
Now browsing: http://del.icio.us/kccdc
________________________________________________________________
Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
List Guidelines ............ http://listguide.ixda.org/
List Help .................. http://listhelp.ixda.org/
(Un)Subscription Options ... http://subscription-options.ixda.org/
Announcements List ......... http://subscribe-announce.ixda.org/
Questions .................. lists at ixda.org
Home ....................... http://ixda.org/
Resource Library ........... http://resources.ixda.org

Syndicate content Get the feed