2006 conferences

5 Feb 2006 - 3:45pm
8 years ago
9 replies
654 reads
Michele Marut
2005

Any thoughts on attending CHI vs UPA 2006 or any of the other conferences?

Comments

5 Feb 2006 - 4:13pm
Dan Saffer
2003

Kevin Cheng has an annotated list:

http://www.ok-cancel.com/archives/article/2006/01/2006-conferences.html

There's also Mark Vanderbeeken's more complete list:

http://eventful.com/calendars/C0-001-000002941-1

Dan

5 Feb 2006 - 4:19pm
Peter Boersma
2003

Michele Marut said:
> Any thoughts on attending CHI vs UPA 2006 or any of the other
> conferences?

See OK/Cancel for an overview and discussion:
http://www.ok-cancel.com/archives/article/2006/01/2006-conferences.html

Peter
--
Peter Boersma | Consultant User Experience | User Intelligence
Vlaardingenlaan 9d | 1059 GL | Amsterdam, The Netherlands
p: +31-20-4084296 | m: +31-6-15072747 | f: +31-20-4084298
mailto:boersma at userintelligence.com | http://www.peterboersma.com/blog

5 Feb 2006 - 4:44pm
Dave Malouf
2005

More information will be posted about this later this week, but I wanted to
make sure that people see that IxDA is sponsoring a pre-conference workshop
called the IxD Symposium as part of the IA Summit. Early registration is by
this Friday. The site w/ lots of info is at http://iasummit.org/

Now, as for the differences between all these lovely conferences, it really
all depends on what you are looking for.

Both CHI and UPA are not traditionally geared towards researchers and not
towards designers/creators.

Concentrate on the phrase "geared towards". It doesn't mean there is nothing
there, and both CHI and UPA organizers are trying to bring more content that
is valuable for designers. CHI especially went through some dramatic changes
in the way they are organizing this year's conference.

There are also other types of educational opportunities this year on a more
corporate scale that are definitely worth considering:
Adaptive Path's weeklong workshop is well reviewed
As is UI## (pick a number;/ this year is 11) by UIE.com and then their's
Neilsen Norman Group's week long tour d'force as well.

I don't think anyone can tell you which conference to go to. This is
something that you can only decide through research (like this) and through
conversations on your personal development plan and group strategic plan
with your manager.

-- dave

On 2/5/06 5:19 PM, "Peter Boersma" <peter at peterboersma.com> wrote:

> [Please voluntarily trim replies to include only relevant quoted material.]
>
> Michele Marut said:
>> Any thoughts on attending CHI vs UPA 2006 or any of the other
>> conferences?
>
> See OK/Cancel for an overview and discussion:
> http://www.ok-cancel.com/archives/article/2006/01/2006-conferences.html
>
> Peter

-- dave

David Heller
http://synapticburn.com/
http://ixdg.org/
Dave (at) ixdg (dot) org
Dave (at) synapticburn (dot) com
AIM: bolinhanyc || Y!: dave_ux || MSN: hippiefunk at hotmail.com

5 Feb 2006 - 5:24pm
Lada Gorlenko
2004

DH> Both CHI and UPA are not traditionally geared towards researchers and not
DH> towards designers/creators.

Correction to the above statement:

UPA is not traditionally geared towards designers, but is has never
been a researcher's gathering either. It is very much a practitioner's
event -- for usability professionals.

If anyone has specific questions about UPA'06, I'll be happy to answer
them as a committee member, both on-line and off-line.

Lada

5 Feb 2006 - 5:26pm
Dave Malouf
2005

HI Lada,

> UPA is not traditionally geared towards designers, but is has never
> been a researcher's gathering either. It is very much a practitioner's
> event -- for usability professionals.

Usability testing is a form of research. Yes it happens in the field and is
separate from academic research but it is still a type of research.

-- dave

David Heller
http://synapticburn.com/
http://ixdg.org/
Dave (at) ixdg (dot) org
Dave (at) synapticburn (dot) com
AIM: bolinhanyc || Y!: dave_ux || MSN: hippiefunk at hotmail.com

5 Feb 2006 - 5:29pm
Robin Jeffries
2005

And to add to this discussion, I am the Technical Program Chair for
CHI2006. While CHI does have a strong research track, we are trying very
hard to beef up the attraction for practitioners, both designers and
usability folk (and managers, and educators -- many aspects of practice).
While it's going to take a few years for us to have the quantity of
submissions to make this a first class designers conference, the submissions
we did accept are quite strong, and we have a lot of panels that should
interest designers -- one on tagging, one on mashups, one on services, a
retrospective and critique of the XBox, and many more.

The goal of CHI is to provide both a quality experience for people in their
own area, and cross-pollination between the different specialities (that's
what I believe that CHI does better than any other conference). And CHI
this year is in Montreal, which is certainly another reason to have it on
your list.

Robin

On 2/5/06, Lada Gorlenko <lada at acm.org> wrote:
>
> [Please voluntarily trim replies to include only relevant quoted
> material.]
>
> DH> Both CHI and UPA are not traditionally geared towards researchers and
> not
> DH> towards designers/creators.
>
> Correction to the above statement:
>
> UPA is not traditionally geared towards designers, but is has never
> been a researcher's gathering either. It is very much a practitioner's
> event -- for usability professionals.
>
> If anyone has specific questions about UPA'06, I'll be happy to answer
> them as a committee member, both on-line and off-line.
>
> Lada
>
> ________________________________________________________________
> Welcome to the Interaction Design Association (IxDA)!
> To post to this list ....... discuss at ixda.org
> List Guidelines ............ http://listguide.ixda.org/
> List Help .................. http://listhelp.ixda.org/
> (Un)Subscription Options ... http://subscription-options.ixda.org/
> Announcements List ......... http://subscribe-announce.ixda.org/
> Questions .................. lists at ixda.org
> Home ....................... http://ixda.org/
> Resource Library ........... http://resources.ixda.org
>

5 Feb 2006 - 5:46pm
Lada Gorlenko
2004

DH> Usability testing is a form of research. Yes it happens in the field and is
DH> separate from academic research but it is still a type of research.

Everything is a form of research then :-)

Drawing a line between analysis (usability) and synthesis (design)
is a useful exercise. However, I think, it is less relevant in terms
of conferences or publications -- these come in three main flavours:
theory, practice and business. All I want to emphasise is that UPA is
a practitioner's conference for usability professionals (as well as IA
Summit is a practitioner's conference for information architects),
while CHI (traditionally) has been more appropriate for theory
(of usability and design alike).

Lada

5 Feb 2006 - 6:04pm
Todd Warfel
2003

Okay so the practitioners are researchers. I think Dave's point is
that it's not geared towards designers, but they can still benefit
from it in many ways.

On Feb 5, 2006, at 6:46 PM, Lada Gorlenko wrote:

> Drawing a line between analysis (usability) and synthesis (design)
> is a useful exercise. However, I think, it is less relevant in terms
> of conferences or publications -- these come in three main flavours:
> theory, practice and business. All I want to emphasise is that UPA is
> a practitioner's conference for usability professionals (as well as IA
> Summit is a practitioner's conference for information architects),
> while CHI (traditionally) has been more appropriate for theory
> (of usability and design alike).
>
> Lada

Cheers!

Todd R. Warfel
Partner, Design & Usability Specialist
Messagefirst | designing and usability consulting
--------------------------------------
Contact Info
Voice: (607) 339-9640
Email: todd at messagefirst.com
AIM: twarfel at mac.com
Blog: http://toddwarfel.com
--------------------------------------
In theory, theory and practice are the same.
In practice, they are not.

9 Feb 2006 - 1:07am
Lyle Kantrovich
2005

On 2/5/06, Todd Warfel <lists at toddwarfel.com> wrote:
>
> Okay so the practitioners are researchers. I think Dave's point is
> that it's not geared towards designers, but they can still benefit
> from it in many ways.
>

I'm someone who considers himself a user-centered designer, and I'm
also a UPA member. Listed below are more than 25 sessions and
tutorials from the UPA '06 advance program that I think designers
might find of interest. I'd suggest at least looking over the program
if you'd like to know more about the conference. I'd be happy to
share my personal experiences as well. The theme of the conference
this year is "Usability Through Storytelling"

- Enhancing Usability of Print-Based and Web-Based Documents Through
Information Design

- Applying User-Centered Methods to Inform New Product Selection and
Strategic Planning

- Interaction Designers and Agile Development: A Partnership

- Using Scriptwriting Techniques to Devleop More Engaging and
Effective User Scenarios

- Digital Prototyping for Dummies: An Unconventional Approach to
Creating Interactive Prototypes

- Ethnographic Awakenings That Challenged Design

- Using Formative Usability Testing as a Fast UI Design Tool

- Panel: When User Interaction Really Matters: Designing for
Performance-Critical Applications

- Create Compelling User Stories-Collaboratively

- Storyboards: A Dynamic Storytelling Tool

- When in Rome:Understanding Cultural Differences in the Context of
Building Personas and Creating Designs for Various Cultures

- How (Not) to Destroy a Great User Experience: Discovering and
Documenting the Story Behind the Design

- Driving Product Design from the Business Objectives

- Redesigning www.w3.org/WAI: A Tale of Two Sites

- User Research in Agile Development: Possibilities in Practice

- Escaping the Design Traps of Creeping Featurism: Introducing a
Fitness Management Strategy

- Next-Generation Design: Interacting with the Semantic Web
(Experienced Practitioner Track)

- A, B, or C? Using Eye Movement Measures to Compare Alternative
Layouts and Graphic Treatment Solutions (Experienced Practitioner
Track)

- Risk-based Approach to Implementing Usability Methods and User
Centered Design (Experienced Practitioner Track)

- Cross-Cultural User-Interface Design (Full-Day Tutorial)

- Telling Personas' Stories (Full-Day Tutorial)

- An Approach to Rapid In-depth Task Analysis Techniques (Full-Day Tutorial)

- Building Affinity Diagrams and Visioning Techniques for Revealing
and Harnessing the Power of the Users' Story for Design and
Organizational Communication (Full-Day Tutorial)

- Intuitive Images: Creating and Evaluating Usable Graphics for
International Audiences (Full-Day Tutorial)

- Breakthrough Design (Full-Day Tutorial)

- Card-Sorting and Cluster Analysis for IA Design (Full-Day Tutorial)

- Developing Web Applications Using ID Patterns (Full-Day Tutorial)

- Re-Positioning User Experience as a Strategic Process (Full-Day Tutorial)

There are many other sessions that I think a well-rounded
user-centered designer would find of interest.

--
Lyle

--------------------------
Lyle Kantrovich
Blog: Croc O' Lyle
http://crocolyle.blogspot.com

Usability Professionals' Association
http://www.usabilityprofessionals.org

Syndicate content Get the feed