Job Opportunity at TechSmith - Interaction Designer
TechSmith's work environment is unlike any other. How many software
companies do you know where the employees work hard and have fun doing
it? Our 90+ employees exude energy, creativity and innovation, not to
mention dedication to our products, our customers and each other. We
enjoy the challenges of being an industry leader - taking risks,
thinking outside the box and working together to make it happen. And we
don't forget to take time to celebrate our successes.
TechSmith Corporation is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer
and offers a challenging and supportive work environment, competitive
salaries, and opportunities for professional growth. As our business
expands, so does our need for skilled employees. TechSmith offers a
comprehensive benefit package that includes health, dental, and life
insurance; short and long-term disability coverage; and vacation
benefits. We offer a quarterly profit sharing bonus plan and a 401(k)
plan. We offer flexible scheduling, casual dress, free espresso and free
Interested? Just e-mail Personnel (personnel at techsmith.com) your resume
and cover letter with salary requirements to get the ball rolling.
In this position you must show a passion for making the user experience
as easy and as useful as possible. You should believe people should be
able to just use things, not learn them. You will be expected to own and
lead product and feature designs. As an Interaction Designer you will
help evangelize a user-centered design process throughout TechSmith.
* Works with teams to help improve the overall user experience of
* Works with other members of the User Experience team to ensure that
all facets of UX are considered in the design phase (useful, desirable,
usable, accessible, learnable, credible, and valuable).
* Plays a key role helping to envision, create, and validate the GUI and
overall user experience.
* Provides UI design expertise from concept through development.
Primary work activities include creating low and high-fidelity
prototypes and storyboards. You may also create conceptual models,
process / workflows and other deliverables to communicate designs and
design ideas to product teams. This role will also consult to various
teams within TechSmith as needed. The Interaction Designer takes results
from usability studies to help improve the product through every stage
of the software development lifecycle.
* Design UIs based on user research, human-factors principles, in-house
and platform style guides, and industry experience in the form of low
and high fidelity prototypes and formal UI specifications.
* Continuously adjust user interface designs that balance engineering,
marketing and user needs.
* Create low and high fidelity simulations for new products and features
(functional prototypes) as well as user conceptual models, process
flows, comprehensive workflows of design solutions and storyboards.
* Establish and maintain design principals and ensure continuity across
all products. Also defines and maintain UI standards across all
* Produce and maintains detailed UI specifications and guidelines to
guide development efforts on new features, products, and product lines
including: UI guidelines and style guides, use cases, task analysis,
class diagrams of UI objects, interaction models, screen layouts,
supporting prototypes (hi and low fidelity)
* Maintain awareness of competition, particularly on a user experience
level, to ensure that TechSmith products are top-of-class.
* Understand when to break the rules.
* Work closely with engineers to implement visual and interaction
designs throughout the product development process.
* Work closely with cross-functional teams including Marketing,
Development, Product Management, Project Management, Documentation,
Quality Assurance, Technical Support, and other representatives to
develop and ensure the success of future products.
* Evaluate designs from the sketch/concept stage to final validation.
* Evaluate and recommend solutions based on user feedback and business
strategy and stays up-to-speed on customer issues.
* Coordinate UI review processes and gather UI requirements via the
following mechanisms: UI reviews, UI walkthroughs, participatory design
sessions, creative brainstorming sessions (small or large groups), field
studies, lab studies (conducted by the Usability Specialist(s)
* Graduate level training or equivalent experience in: Human Computer
Interaction, Human Factors, Cognitive Psychology, or Graphic Design.
* Five or more years hands-on UI / interaction design experience
* Well-versed in Usability and Human Computer Interaction research and
literature; up to date on new research in the field of product design
* Theoretical and practical knowledge / experience with usability
evaluation of UI prototypes
* Technical / software development background, knowledge of developer
tools, and object oriented development
* Working knowledge of human-centered design process and techniques
* Excellent design and visualization skills with the ability to
articulate concepts and ideas
* Strong experience in translating user data and human-factors
principles into UI designs via prototypes, storyboards, and detailed UI
* Experience with developing user profiles, use cases, and scenarios
* Experience using a variety of creative brainstorming techniques
* Demonstrated ability to learn complex technology
* Strong interpersonal skills with a team focus
* Strong verbal communication and presentation skills
* Excellent and confident writing skills
* User-centric focus and drive in solving end-user problems
* Ability to work with and present to cross-functional teams
(Development, Management, Tech Support, QA, etc)
* Aware of current trends and new technologies in design, architecture,
planning, and usability
* Exceptional creativity and problem solving skills
* Proficiency with standard design and prototyping applications such as
PhotoShop, Illustrator, Flash, Visio, etc.
* Proven track record of user experience advocacy
* Familiarity with working from Marketing requirements and functional
* Knowledge of Windows and Web design guidelines; proper usage of GUI
and web controls / widgets
Compensation: Competitive, based on skills and experience. This is a
full-time position with an attractive benefit package including health
insurance and profit sharing. Please submit salary requirements along
with your resume.
User Experience Manager
2405 Woodlake Drive | Okemos, MI 48864-5910
517.381.2300 x530 | 517.913.6132 Fax b.hernandez at techsmith.com