JOB: Blurb, Inc :: Senior IxD, San Francisco (Full time)
2 Mar 2006 - 2:47pm
Senior Interaction Designer
Blurb, Inc, San Francisco (Financial District)
If you never get on a bus or a plane without at least one book in
hand, you could be the ideal candidate to join Blurb (www.blurb.com),
a venture-backed startup located in downtown San Francisco near
public transit and ferries.
Since people first put ink to papyrus, books have captured our best
thinking, learning and experiences. They are the legacy that each
generation provides for the next. Everywhere you look, new technology
is letting regular people participate in parts of our culture once
accessible only to the elite few. Today, anyone with Web access can
share their opinions online, with the click of a mouse. In the same
way, Blurb helps ordinary people express their passions and record
their experiences in books to share with their families, communities
and the world.
We’re developing a complete platform that allows anyone – blogger,
chef, marketer, parent, student, traveler, etc -- to create
professional-quality books. You can create one book as affordably as
five hundred. We're putting the power of traditional print
publishers into everybody's hands. We believe in books, and the
people who make them, too. In the weeks and months to come, we'll be
launching a community of authors and bookmaking specialists – a place
to find the content, camaraderie, inspiration and guidance to make
your books everything they can be.
This is your chance to join an exciting company in the early stages
of our development.
:: ENVIRONMENT Blurb is a startup, which means you’ll likely wear multiple hats and
be involved in various aspects of building and running the business.
We are looking for smart people who learn fast, solve problems, and
get the job done. Our products are focused on the user experience,
so you will need to be. We have a world-class team drawn from
companies such as Apple, Intuit, Corbis, Kodak, Microsoft, Taschen
Publishers, Chronicle Books, Smart design, MetaDesign, Method, Lonely
Planet and Sony.
:: RESPONSIBILITIES • Be a true advocate for our customers and help fulfill our vision of
continually building usable, useful, and desirable products and services
• Plan and facilitate qualitative user research to define experience
models, product strategy and requirements
• Define, document, prioritize and track user requirements for
Blurb's online and software products
• Employ human-centered design processes and tools including
experience models, personas, use scenarios, prototypes, sitemaps,
wireframes, task flows, etc...
• Audit competitive products, documenting best practices and
• Actively and effectively mentor, teach, contribute to and promote
the growth of the user experience team within the company
• Facilitate brainstorms and work sessions with cross-disciplinary teams
• Collaborate, collaborate, collaborate.
• This position reports to the VP of Design and User Experience
:: QUALIFICATIONS • At least 3 years of experience developing interactive products as
an Experience designer, Information architect, or Interaction designer
• A degree in a related field, such as human-computer interaction,
design planning, library science, graphic design, or industrial design
• Experience developing and applying user-centered design processes,
techniques, and tools.
• Demonstrate excellent communication skills with staff, peers,
management and executives
• Demonstrate and model deep understanding of the value of other
disciplines, and their interaction with design/ user experience
• Exceptional information presentation (graphic and written) experience
• Experience running, assisting or moderating end-user testing
• Previous experience in a small and multidisciplinary environment
• A love of books, an eye for design, and a sense of humor.