JOB: Principal UI/Lead Systems Designer, GE Healthcare, Waukesha, WI
31 Mar 2006 - 11:23am
The Interaction Design Group within GE Healthcare in Waukesha, WI (suburb of
Milwaukee) has an opening for a Principal UI / Lead Systems Designer
Essential Functions (Responsibilities):
* Lead team of User Interface Designers in the definition and design of
graphical UIs that will enable a consistent user experience across all
* Provide global leadership in the specification and quality execution of Common
User Interface and Common Workflow components/applications projects.
* Create multi-generational plans and define work packages for design teams.
* Work with Lead Program Integrator (LPI) and Clinical Software Engineering
(CSE) Program Manager to establish timing and delivery of user interface
* Oversee all design activities, conduct design reviews and review usability
test plans to ensure objective design feedback is obtained.
* Ensure that requirements and UI specifications are delivered following the
Design for Usability (DFU) process.
* Lead/oversee strategic research & customer facilitation activities, which
promote identification and development of opportunities to improve end-user
* Investigate and propose new UI technologies and provide guidance related to
industry and competitive trends.
* This role requires collaboration with multiple cross-functional teams.
Effective interaction between CSEP, P&Ls (mktg & eng), Industrial Design,
Strategic Marketing, and Quality Assurance is key to success.
* Minimum of MS in Design, Human Factors, HCI, Systems engineering or related
* 10+ years experience with software based feature development / user interface
* 10+ years experience in user-centered design / systems engineering
* Demonstrated ability to learn and design for complex user workflows/tasks and
* Demonstrated experience in performing field research, task analyses, formal UI
reviews, usability tests and surveys
* Demonstrated experience in translating end-user needs & technical requirements
into interaction design concepts via wireframes and prototypes
* Demonstrated ability to fuse principles of Interaction Design and Visual
Design skills to drive greater user productivity into products
* Demonstrated expertise in User Interface design principles & standards
* Demonstrated ability to develop concepts and deliver requirements
* Demonstrated ability to contribute to business cases & identify priorities
based upon customer data to influence teams and upper management
* Demonstrated experience leading / influencing across global and
* Must be a solid team player in interdisciplinary teams with strong project
management, writing, communication, presentation and facilitation skills
* Familiarity with Diagnostic Imaging and Healthcare IT products
* Broad understanding of IHE Integration profiles; basic understanding of DICOM
* Working knowledge of product life cycle process
* Experience in clinical environment
* Green Belt certified
Relocation is provided for the right candidate. Please forward resumes to erika.orrick at ge.com and I will send them on to the group lead and HR. I can
also answer questions about working for GE for you if you want.