JOB: Fulltime User Researcher position Autodesk, Inc.. IN WALTHAM MA (near Boston), USA
24 May 2010 - 8:23am
3 years ago
There is a user researcher position open with my group in Waltham, MA near Boston. Please apply online using the job number below.
USER RESEARCHER POSITION AT AUTODESK, INC. IN WALTHAM MA, USA
YOUR ROLE Do you thrive in a fast-paced, high-energy environment? Are you a creative problem solver who enjoys collaborating with motivated individuals from diverse backgrounds? Do you have the drive to make things happen?
If so, this is your chance to help shape the future of design tools for Building Information Modeling (BIM) Products supporting the Architecture, Engineering, and Construction (AEC) industries. As a User Researcher for the AEC User Research team you will be responsible for the research required to develop and implement a strategy for the User Experience of the next generation of products designed to serve the building information modeling (BIM) markets.
Specifically, you will be responsible for the identifying, designing, conducting, analyzing, and presenting research, and then using the insights gained from that research to collaborate with teams across all the BIM UX products to achieve product experiences that meet demanding quality standards and that exploit new technologies to capitalize on emerging industry trends. You will work with local and remote product management, design, development, and quality assurance teams to deliver innovative, exciting, and emotionally engaging products that solve real customer problems.
RESPONSIBILITIES * Drive the research and analysis phases of the product development process for the next generation of the BIM projects * Identify patterns by aggregating the findings from existing research (and supplementing with additional research as necessary)
* Evangelize the value of and proper application of user research to solve business needs * Establish and track research goals, and collaborate with Product Designers on developing design tenets and design and usability requirements
* Plan, conduct, and document user research such as heuristic evaluations, field observations, interviews, focus groups, workshops, and surveys with other designers and researchers to understand user needs. * Collaborate with Product Designers by providing insights gained from user research to help them iteratively design solutions that satisfy project goals, requirements, and design tenets based on research, design patterns, and UI standards.
* Document and present the findings of research to a variety of different audiences * Manage research required to support the creation and maintenance of interaction and style guides, personas, and pattern libraries
* Provide training and leadership by example in user research methods to members of the Building Information Modeling (BIM) User Experience team * Provide leadership by contributing to improvement in methods and deliverables to increase the effectiveness and efficiency of the team
* Represent the AEC User Experience team and Autodesk in the user research community through participation in conferences and industry gatherings * Maintain familiarity with other Autodesk products to ensure compatibility with features shared across our product family
YOUR ATTRIBUTES * A portfolio demonstrating strong user research skills and deliverables from a user-centered design process. The portfolio can include (but is not limited to): sketches, usability test reports, workflow diagrams, wireframes, storyboards, specs, papers or presentations
* Demonstrable understanding of modern software development processes and concerns as they relate to design * Excellent skills in problem analysis including the ability to identify and describe the "right" problem from a set of data of varying types
* Verbal and written fluency in the English language * Strong verbal and visual communication and presentation skills * Interact with and influence others effectively via teamwork and diplomacy * Ability to adjust to changing priorities
* A solid understanding of both quantitative and qualitative research methods * Ability to solve complex problems and drive projects from concept to conclusion; work independently, manage multiple tasks, and set priorities with direction or feedback from management and teammates
* Demonstrate interest in the details and the results of the design process, not just the initial high-level concept.
DESIRED SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE * An advanced degree or equivalent experience in an HCI-related subject area * 5 or more years of professional experience doing interface design and usability evaluation/research
* Familiarity with HCI and usability research literature * Previous experience designing for complex creative applications, 3D tools, and/or engineering analysis tools * Experience with a wide range of user research methods (and the ability to select and adapt methods to meet the specific goals of a project)
* Experience with ideation techniques such as brainstorming and design workshops