USID2011 - Call for Paper - Design for the Social Innovation & Sustainable Development
2 Jun 2011 - 11:04pm
5th India International Design and HCI Conference
(Dates and venue will be announced soon)
Design for the Social Innovation & Sustainable Development
USID Call for Papers 2011
2011 marks the fifth year anniversary of the USID Foundation. It will also be the fifth year of our annual India International Design & HCI Conference. The conference theme for USID 2011 maintains the strands of interest that were established in the conferences since 2007 and places emphasis on Universal, Sustainable and Innovative Design for social change both in practice and design; “Design for the Social Innovation & Sustainable Development”
Design creates a bridge between technology and human being but so far the focus on design has been only limited to the technological innovation and the new opportunities offers by the technological innovations. In current scenario, the design and the design professionals requires revisiting their role and how they have been thinking and practicing design. It has become very critical that the design professionals must look at the social innovation, identify potential cases, use design thinking, sensitivities, capabilities, processes, tools and skills to design new artefacts and provide new directions for technological innovations that are helpful for the human lives, development of our society, and its sustainability.
The conference will serve as an opportunity to discuss and present the needs and trends for social innovation. How social innovation can help bridge the gaps between the society, people and business? Is there any framework that can help accelerating the social innovation? What can design and designer do to trigger and direct social innovation? If there any social innovation framework specific to design and designers? How can they conceive and develop favourable contexts and enabling solutions? How can they facilitate the convergence between new technologies and emerging social &
The USID2011 pre-conference event organizing committee is inviting designers, researchers, students and other prospective authors from all over the world to submit papers on original works. Topics of interest include, but not limited to the following:
1. Social Innovation and Healthcare
2. Social Innovation and Rural Development
3. Social Innovation and Education
4. Social Innovation and Sustainability
5. Social Innovation and Social Media
6. Social Innovation in Service Design
7. Social Innovation and Use of Technology
8. Any other relevant topic
The papers will be reviewed by a panel of expert professionals, both from industry and academia, which is under formation. The papers will be selected for presentation on the eve of the USID2011 conference and also for publication in the USID2011 conference proceedings DVD.
GUIDELINES FOR SUBMISSION
1. All submissions must be in English and must include a title and author information, including author affiliations.
5. Submissions must not contain proprietary or confidential material and should not cite proprietary or confidential publications.
6. All submissions must be in the camera-ready format (PDF). Due to tight publication schedules, revisions will not be possible. The submitted PDF version will be considered the final version of the paper.
7. We recommend that you register using an e-mail address for communication between the review panel and the individuals. Important information will be distributed via e-mail for individuals invited to attend the conference, which must be acted on in a timely fashion.
Open to the professionals, academicians, researchers and students.
Each paper submission will be distributed to and reviewed by experts. Care will be taken to avoid conflicts of interest/affiliation when matching reviewers and participants.
Submissions are reviewed based on:
1. Originality of the content
2. Quality of the content
3. Relevance to the theme
4. Clarity of the written presentation
PRESENTATION AND PUBLICATION OF SELECTED PAPERS
The papers short listed by the review panel will be presented during the USID2011 and all accepted papers will be published in the USID2011 Conference Proceedings DVD. Teams will be notified of acceptance or rejection the week of August 30th, 2011. Authors of selected papers will be expected to attend the conference in order to present their submissions to other conference attendees. USID Foundation will also notify the authors through email or phone and also through post.