Even today, Design is too often perceived as a tactic to simply “make things user-friendly.” To combat that oversimplification, designers often shroud their work in a mysterious cloud of specialized tools and jargon. This mystery gives designers (of every sort – visual, UX, interaction, et al) a false perception of value, uniqueness and control over their process and work. In actuality, this self-imposed mystery drives divisions between designers and their teams. Designers need to stop looking at their work in terms of “trade secrets” and start opening up about their process. Through this transparency, the cloud lifts and the true value of Design becomes clear while designers are revealed to be the indispensable product people they truly are.
In this session you will learn:
- Why self-imposed Design mystery makes life as a designer harder
- How revealing your design secrets leads to more productive, highly collaborative teams
- How transparency makes you more valuable to your organization
- How to (finally) convince your colleagues that designers are not just pixel people, but product people
- 5 tactics for you to immediately begin demystifying Design and increasing your value