Discussion Archive: April 2010

17 Apr 2010 - 1:38am
4 years ago
1 reply
gaurang gupta

Designing effective in vehcile icons

Hi everyone ,

i m in the process of redesigning of  in-vehicle  icons for low price vehicle , i m looking for some references for the same .                                                        

16 Apr 2010 - 3:29am
4 years ago
4 replies
Mattias Konradsson

The UX of Notifications

Hi everyone,

I'm working on a desktop notification system and is pondering some issues I haven't seen much discussion about , perhaps the list has some insights and thoughts on the subject :)

Placement
--

15 Apr 2010 - 7:13pm
paul turner

Web billboards -- usability of viz/interaction; examples

Hi all,

I'm looking for examples of and usability research about web billboards that appear on homepages of corporate sites. I'm especially interested in any usability testing that you've done regarding billboards, and about web analytics regarding alternative approaches to billboard designs.

Let's say there are two high-level categories of web billboards, static and interactive:

Static billboards

15 Apr 2010 - 9:59am
4 years ago
1 reply
Powers

Suggestive Search Pattern for reducing categorical options

Let's say you have a browsable hierarchical taxonomy of categories. These categories can be up to like 7 deep, and number in the hundreds. A user can expand and contract the various trees of categories. Clicking on one of the categories will take you to a page detailing the category.

15 Apr 2010 - 9:37am
Sam Murray-Sutton

Simple product filtering implementation - feedback please

Hi there,

I've just put a new bit of product filtering live on a client's site, and I'd love a bit of feedback.

You can read a blog post explaining a bit about what we did here:

www.setfiremedia.com/blog/simple-product-filtering

and you can view the filtering here:

www.kikijames.com/378--Books-%26-Albums/6--Leather-photo-albums/

Cheers,

-Sam

15 Apr 2010 - 7:16am
4 years ago
1 reply
FrankLicht

Regional influences of demographic data on design

Hi, I'm currently working as an Interaction Designer at an Email Marketing company where I'm also writing my thesis for my undergraduate (Bachelors) degree. The main goal of my research is to find if we can change certain aspects of email newsletter designs through personalization. We want to do this to create more interaction between sender and receiver of the newsletter (read: higher clickthrough rate and more conversions on the websites of our customers).

14 Apr 2010 - 9:44pm
4 years ago
8 replies
qbi11y

Fortune 500 User Experience ROI

I currently work for a Fortune 500 company as a User Experience Designer/Manager. I was brought in to help enhance the user experience of certain applications both web and desktop. My problem is not many people see the value of user experience. As with most public companies they only care about the bottom line. UX is looked as an expense and not an investment. I wanted to ask if anyone here had compelling data about what Fortune 500 companies are spending on UX and the return on investment they are seeing.

14 Apr 2010 - 2:33pm
Nathan at Bestica

TOMORROW is the deadline for the HOW Design Conference in Denver save $150 using discount code

The HOW Design Conference is coming to Denver, June 6-9 and is known for its motivational effects, and after spending four days learning from the smartest and most creative minds in the industry. Here are some tangible, bottom-line-boosting benefits of attending the HOW Design Conference and collected them in one place.

14 Apr 2010 - 8:48am
4 years ago
4 replies
harrybr

Scheduling tool for research sessions - recommendations?

I'm setting up a series of remote research sessions. Normally I'd use a recruitment agency to deal with this, but I can't this time because the client doesn't want to share the contact list with an external party. 

Can anyone recommend a good web-based scheduling tool - which allows people to pick their own slots on a time-table, and then marks those slots as taken for other people? And perhaps even sends reminder emails?

I'm tempted to just a spreadsheet in Google Docs, but I'm sure there must be some nice web-apps out there - anyone?

thanks

Harry