Discussion Archive: May 2010

6 May 2010 - 9:33am
Gino Rodrigues

Re: [IxDA] Username vs. Screen Name

Are you asking about the concept or the labeling?

For the concept, there are valuable "identity" consideratinos from social design patterns at http://habitatchronicles.com/2008/10/the-tripartite-identity-pattern/.

For the labeling, I understand "username" as authentication, and "screenname" as display, which despite bound to the same person, must be kept separate for many reasons you can read on that link above.

Good luck!

Gino

6 May 2010 - 8:49am
3 years ago
7 replies
Marty DeAngelo

Closed Caption on Mobile Video?

A client we are working with is coming up with a project with a lot of content presented in video, and they want to make sure that a mobile audience can see the videos as well.  We're investigating the best way to present mobile to both a desktop and mobile audience but one of the concerns was how to offer an text-based alternative for those who need it.

6 May 2010 - 2:33am
Terms:
Marek Pawlowski

Nominees announced for 2010 MEX User Experience Awards

Hello everyone - thanks for all your entries to the 2010 MEX Mobile User Experience Awards. Today, I'm delighted to announce the nominations for the 5 categories, including the MEX Innovator of the Year.

You can check out the entries, videos and screenshots at:

http://pmn.co.uk/mex/awards10.shtml

The contest closed on 30th April and, since then, our judges have been hard at work to decide the short-lists.

5 May 2010 - 11:58pm
4 years ago
2 replies
krvishal

RE: [IxDA] Username vs. Screen Name

Hi Kbnova, If you want personally my opinion then I like ----- "screen name" for chat programs & "username" for websites. Because its simple to understand by anyone.

regards krvishal the design tree +919886173878 > -----Original Message----- > From: ixdaor@host.ixda.org [mailto:ixdaor@host.ixda.org] On Behalf Of > kbnova > Sent: Thursday, May 06, 2010 4:14 AM > To: krvishal@thedesigntree.net > Subject: [IxDA] Username vs. Screen Name > > I'm working on redesigning a website that uses the term "screen name" > rather > than "username".

5 May 2010 - 4:15pm
4 years ago
3 replies
NikkiK

University of Baltimore IDIA Student Feedback

Hello everyone,

I have decided to go to the University of Baltimore and have officially enrolled as a new grad. student for the Fall 2010 semester.

If you are a current student at U.Baltimore in the IDIA masters program, please share with me your feedback on:  the program, classes, professors, research opportunities, conference opportunities, if you recieved an assistantship, and other information you would like to share!

5 May 2010 - 3:18pm
4 years ago
9 replies
eriklevitch

Preserving Filter Selections

Hello everyone,

I do not have the ability to do any usability testing for this, but I wanted to know if there was a best practice for this scenario:

The user lands and on media asset viewer (default view w/another view option) with options to filter the media asset viewer by category and media type. After making a few filter selections, the user then flips the media asset viewer to another view - would most users expect that their filter selections from the previous view to be preserved?

Your opinions are very welcomed.

Thanks

5 May 2010 - 3:12pm
natekendrick

JOB: Senior Interaction Designer / San Francisco / DesignMap, Inc. / Full-time Position

DesignMap, Inc. is looking for a senior interaction designer who will want to help grow our studio and be a critical member of our team. 

5 May 2010 - 1:58pm
Michelle Bacigalupi

Award Winning user interfaces for SaaS applications

HI,

First, thank every one for all the great input on my last post.

I need to help facilitate a refresh to our user interface. I believe there are sites the shine spot lights on current trends and cutting edge user interfaces. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Michelle

5 May 2010 - 11:38am
4 years ago
3 replies
Terms:
kbnova

Username vs. Screen Name

I'm working on redesigning a website that uses the term "screen name" rather than "username".  Personally, I am more used to seeing and using "username".  The last time I regularly used "screen name" was back in the '90s with AOL.  However, that is just my personal opinion.  I'm curious how others feel about it - which term do you tend to use?  Are "username" and "screen name" exactly equivalent or would you use them differently - e.g. "screen name" for chat programs but "username" for websites?

5 May 2010 - 10:10am
Eric Reiss

CFP open for EuroIA in Paris

Friends,

The Call for Papers for this year's EuroIA Summit in Paris, France (Sept. 23-25) are now open at:

www.euroia.org

Submissions will only be accepted until May 16 at midnight CET. So if you have a great idea for a presentation or case story, let us know! No panels, please.

Cheers,

Eric Reiss (er at fatdux.com)
Chair, EuroIA 2010
www.euroia.org