Discussion Archive: May 2010

19 May 2010 - 4:26pm
4 years ago
3 replies
Terms:
Jon Plummer

JOBS: UX people at Belkin (Playa Vista, CA)

Folks, the UX department at Belkin is hiring UX people and making use of UX people as contractors.

Belkin makes a lot of different consumer electronics accessories: home networking equipment, laptop accessories, iPod, iPad, iPhone, and smartphone accessories, power and cabling products, and exciting new stuff that we’re not telling the world about yet. And we want you to help us make them better.

17 May 2010 - 6:05pm
+1
4 years ago
4 replies
Janna DeVylder

Representing IxDA at UPA 2010 in Munich

Hi all,

Next week I will be flying to Munich to represent IxDA on a panel at UPA’s annual conference.  The title of the panel is “The future of the UX field and how leading UX organizations interact”. Steve Baty, IxDA's VP, will also be on the panel, representing the UX Book Club. Here’s the list of confirmed panelists:

17 May 2010 - 2:37pm
Brian Mila

RE: [IxDA] Multitap vs QWERTY ?

What exactly are you testing? If you're testing how well your users can use a mobile interface using either multitap or qwerty, then it would probably be easier to test the input methods separately from the application. For instance, what are the full range of characters a user can enter in your app? Letters (upper and lower), numbers, special characters (@*,/), etc. Get that list together, then create sample inputs in the form of sentences or whatever. Then test your input methods using those samples, noting input speed, error rate, satisfaction, etc.

17 May 2010 - 1:09pm
4 years ago
4 replies
Hilary Bienstock

Re: [IxDA] All microwave interfaces are COMPLETELY different

Nix -

Interesting idea.  I like the idea of having a wheel with a center push button.  A few notes, however:

1. How do you set a power setting?  This really is important.  If I nuke my oatmeal on high for 2.5 minutes, it boils over and makes a mess.  If I nuke it on half power (power level 5) for 5 minutes, I get perfect oatmeal.

17 May 2010 - 10:50am
marianne.jensen

Recruiters/ head hunters in DK/EU

Can anyone recommend (or provide their 2 cents) on reputable recruiters/ head hunters in Denmark/ Europe willing to work with freelance designers and usability consultants? There are all sorts of freelance job boards where professsionals (of all levels) fight it out for smaller projects for what often equates to student rates - some sites being better than others of course.

What I'm looking for is more of a touch point: companies interested in matching the right professional to the right project. Any ideas/ comments/ feedback?

Thanks,
Marianne

17 May 2010 - 9:09am
+1
Nora Gonzalez

[EVENT] IxDAMuich Social event on May 26th - Special during UPA 2010 Conference

The UPA 2010 is going to take place in Munich from May the 24th to the 28th. We had no other option but to organize a big Social Event : )

We hope to have members from IxDA worldwide coming along to this meeting!

check all the details at the IxDA Munich site

17 May 2010 - 8:53am
bitpakkit

Re: [IxDA] Great Online Banking Experiences?

What if online banking was integrated with live help and collaborative tools for the CSR?

On 10-05-08 6:06 AM, "hamixxx" wrote:

> Personally, I think that online banking is overrated and I am a little bit > suspicious of online banks in general. I come from a generation that used to > go to the high street bank branch and do all my transactions face to face > with a human being. But today, this is becoming rare and so banks are > becoming faceless internet empires, using our money to gain capital growth.

17 May 2010 - 4:21am
4 years ago
3 replies
Prashant Dixit

Instructional Design in Music/Sound Industry

Just a few hours back when I was speaking to a musician friend of mine, he seemed very frustrated about the interface of a sound-mixing software.  As a usability and user interface professional, I never ever understood one thing: In the music world, there are so many softwares and so many workstations used to create music and certainly people want to buy these expensive products yet they are scared of one question. The question is how do they learn them??

16 May 2010 - 5:38pm
Chris Paul
16 May 2010 - 9:49am
4 years ago
3 replies
hassan.schroede...

Re: [IxDA] All microwave interfaces are COMPLETELY different

On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 6:47 AM, elvenmuse wrote: > Why, why o why all microwave interfaces are different...

Agreed that the state of microwave control UIs is a joke. But missing from this discussion is the ecosystem aspect: companies creating products (microwavable food items) with instructions that don't map to the available capabilities.

For example, a frequently seen food preparation instruction is to heat the product at e.g. 50% power for 8 minutes.