Discussion Archive: May 2010

13 May 2010 - 3:50pm
DrWex

Re: [IxDA] Re: [IxDA] Sr. Information Architect

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 3:40 PM, Matthew Nish-Lapidus wrote: > These aren't really a technical issue.. the problem is that people are still > posting jobs to the discussion board instead of the new Job Board section of > the site. > > If there is a reason that job posters are still using discussions I'd love > to hear about it, that way we can improve the Job Board and make it more > useful for everybody.

As long as the "job board" is being distributed to the email list I don't think it makes a difference.

13 May 2010 - 11:23am
4 years ago
1 reply
cb

Re: [IxDA] Sr. Information Architect

Hi Guys,

I believe there is still an issue, I still keep getting job notices in my in box...just thought I would let you know, its just not one person having problems. I believe its en mass.

Chris

On 5/13/10 10:02 AM, "thirteen23" wrote:

> Hi Joe, > > The post referenced at the bottom of this email is from Razorfish and not > from us.

13 May 2010 - 10:50am
William Hudson

Design and Usability Courses Survey

We’ll be submitting a number of course proposals to the CHI and UPA conferences in the coming months, plus we want to arrange a series of public one-day courses on design and usability. It would help us enormously to know what folks would actually be interested in attending.

Please take five minutes to fill out our survey (before 22 May) and enter our raffle for a GBP 35/USD 50/EUR 40 Amazon voucher. The URL is
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/LY8KSKX

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

13 May 2010 - 10:14am
4 years ago
2 replies
chaitanya mendu
13 May 2010 - 9:51am
4 years ago
1 reply
NYC IxDA

[EVENT] IxDA NYC: Tackling the Digital Divide with Analog Solutions - Thurs. May 20th at 6:30

TACKLING THE DIGITAL DIVIDE WITH ANALOG SOLUTIONS

Join us as Clara Gaggero and Adrian Westaway show us how their team at London’s Vitamins Design solved the problem of how to teach the elderly to use cell phones using existing and familiar systems, such as books, maps and cards. Working in partnership with The Royal College of Art’s Helen Hamlyn Center and Samsung Design Europe, their approach should be an asset for anyone seeking new ways to help their clients understand our rapidly evolving digital world.

13 May 2010 - 9:33am
4 years ago
1 reply
ayman maat

restricting access using passwords or gesters

Hi guys

On a shared touch screen device what do you feel is the best way for one end user to prevent another user accessing certain areas of content?

I am in a little light hearted debate at the moment as to the best way to achieve this centric on whether the traditional character based password method is still superior to a gester, say, the continuous selection of a series of squares on a 4 x 4 grid.

12 May 2010 - 5:26pm
+1
4 years ago
4 replies
Jay Rogers

Avoid Mockupitis!

Mockupitis

Pronunciation: \ˈmäk-ˌəp-ˈī-təs\

Function: noun

Date: ?

12 May 2010 - 4:57pm
Stephen Collins

Re: [IxDA] Best practices for designing Terms and Conditions/Customer Agreement Interactions

I recently did a piece of work with a big financial organisation. Naturally, they're required to present these sorts of things to customers, but fully realise that most (the vast majority, >90 per cent according to our research) don't read them, and those that do rarely finish or fully understand them.

As Mike notes, it's a cost/benefit thing - for both the customer and the organisation.

We ended up providing a legally approved conditions summary that was visible in our process and links to the full conditions subsequently displayed in a light box.

12 May 2010 - 3:57pm
Stephen Collins

Re: [IxDA] IA - Agency Centric and Citizen Centric

Sathaya

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 12:10 AM, sathyanarayanan wrote: > Could  you please explain what is agency-centric and what is citizen > centric?

These terms are most often used in government projects to delineate the difference between what are considered inward-facing (agency-centric) and public facing (citizen-centric) tools, services, programs, policies, etc.

With the growth of the movement towards open government (Government 2.0), there's an increase in ensuring that public sector workers, particularly, engage with the public in changed

12 May 2010 - 2:53pm
4 years ago
7 replies
iOddJobBob

Position of Login/Register button

We are currently doing a study for a site and are debating where the login/register link should be on the site. Where do users generally perceive it to be? Are there any case studies on this topic? thanks in advance!