Discussion Archive: May 2010

12 May 2010 - 11:49am
4 years ago
11 replies
kbnova

Best practices for designing Terms and Conditions/Customer Agreement Interactions

I'm looking for any research or information on best practices for designing interactions where users have to accept some legal terms and conditions.  For instance - what are the advantages/disadvantages of presenting terms to the side of the main form vs. below or in a pop-up?  Or - if the terms are going to be in a scrolling window, are there any guidelines about how big that window should be?  How many lines should show at once relative to length of the whole agreement?

12 May 2010 - 8:59am
4 years ago
2 replies
ferg

Searching for UX principles for designing an Arabic language website

Hi,
I'm sat here in Doha [Qatar] in the middle of a week of user-testing an English/Arabic travel website. One concern for our design approach is to not just "flip the text RTL" for the Arabic translation. We'd really like to actually do something meaningful for the Arabic version [yes, its early in the project and our hopes flourish].

Primarily I'm trying to find UX principles for designing an Arabic language website. From both Western and Arabic-based UX practitioners. Articles, thoughts and examples on designing Arabic language websites.

sathya

IA - Agency Centric and Citizen Centric

Hi All,

Could  you please explain what is agency-centric and what is citizen centric?

thanks in advance.

-Sathya

11 May 2010 - 3:41pm
Jeffrey D. Gimzek

Re: [IxDA] Re: [IxDA] Re: [IxDA] Google's New Design

On May 11, 2010, at 12:50 PM, Jack L. Moffett wrote:

On May 11, 2010, at 10:49 AM, Dave Epstein wrote:

> Plus, with
> cameraphones becoming the most common/carried picture taking device I
> wonder how much longer the camera icon as they show it will seem
11 May 2010 - 11:45am
+1
4 years ago
1 reply
Matt Nish-Lapidus

IxDA Discussions updates

Hi Everybody,

We're planning to start rolling out some updates to the email notifications this afternoon.  We hope these changes will help fix the well know "out of office" reply issue, as well as a few other email related problems.

Here is a quick overview of the update:

- change to the email headers to include proper list-id and list-help headers

- changing the from envelope to be bounces@ixda.org, which should help catch a lot of these responses.

11 May 2010 - 9:10am
4 years ago
1 reply
Jack L. Moffett

Re: [IxDA] Re: [IxDA] Google's New Design

On May 11, 2010, at 10:49 AM, Dave Epstein wrote:

> Plus, with > cameraphones becoming the most common/carried picture taking device I > wonder how much longer the camera icon as they show it will seem > relevant. Or maybe it will transcend the physical camera form.

Considering the shelf-life that the floppy disk icon has had representing "save", I'm betting that the camera will be with us as a recognizable icon for a long, long time.

Best, Jack

Jack L.

11 May 2010 - 6:17am
4 years ago
8 replies
Brett Christenson

Easy to use vs. feature packed

I am looking for any studies that compare software applications in the same market space in regards to user purchase decisions. Specifically I am looking to understand the impact of adding features vs. making a product easy to use. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
-Brett

11 May 2010 - 4:18am
4 years ago
3 replies
superked

school for interaction design

I need to study interaction design. Can anyone recoment the school ? I prefer US, UK or any teaching in English

11 May 2010 - 2:48am
+1
4 years ago
4 replies
dahiya.manisha

Interaction for each row in a long list or table

Hello...

I have a confusion here...

Scenario: there is an intranet application; for its admin interface where the admin will view the user list which can be long enough. Each row displays the details for a user.

There will be actions like "Add new user", "Edit user" and "Delete user"; as the last two action can be performed on any of the rows.
Instead of giving links for Edit and Delete along with each row, action buttons are given at the top and bottom of the list.