Discussion Archive: June 2010

29 Jun 2010 - 3:03pm
3 years ago
3 replies
sharakarasic
29 Jun 2010 - 2:08pm
preismita

Any experience with Portlets interaction design?

Hi guys,
Im working on a company thas is redesigning the hole corporate intranet concept and all the app.
The change is very big and the definition is to use portlets, we are thinking about using Gatein. As you know  this involves the  way the user interact with the interface.
Can anybody recommend me any paper/ book/ case study about user interaction with portlets? Any usability guideline wil be wellcome :)

Thanks,
Preismita

29 Jun 2010 - 1:27pm
3 years ago
4 replies
Ogilve

capabilities of online industrial design courses

Hello. My background in design (outside of interaction issues) is kind of weak, so I'm interested in some continuing education. Specifically, I'd like some training in industrial design, and I've found a couple of graduate level programs (e.g., SCAD) that offer eLearning in that discipline. My question concerns the effectiveness of eLearning in this case.

29 Jun 2010 - 1:19pm
3 years ago
8 replies
eriklevitch

Audience Segmentation Navigation

I know it is a common practice for B2B sites to structure the navigation by audience; however, I think structuring the navigation based on tasks rather than audience type could be a better solution. Would analyzing the tasks for each audience type naturally present a common IA that all audience types could understand? For example, each audience type needs to know the benefits of a product (of course, the benefits for the product differs for each audience type).

29 Jun 2010 - 12:17pm
+2
3 years ago
11 replies
Terms:
Matt Nish-Lapidus

The relationship between designers and material

I posted this to my blog earlier today, but I thought it would be worth contributing here as well.  Lots to discuss around the idea of material in interaction design.  

Here's the post originally seen at http://blog.emenel.ca/post/749792140/the-designers-relationship-with-materials:

----------------------

29 Jun 2010 - 10:08am
hassan.schroede...

Re: [IxDA] design of help files

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 1:51 AM, Dimiter Simov wrote: > Barbara has summarised the essentials quite well. I will add a few things:

+1 to that, and I'll throw in:

1) Don't offer me "Go to the blaffer options page and ... " -- what? If you want me to "go" somewhere, link to it, especially if

2) The "help" was written for Version 1, we're now on Version 5, and "blaffer" has been renamed to "suxxors". And the options are all different.

28 Jun 2010 - 8:04pm
3 years ago
1 reply
Jess Judge

Portfolios for Design Managers

What's the protocol for presenting portfolios for design managers who didn't have significant previous experience as an individual contributor?

I came to IxD via engineering and program management, taking over our product design group after having focused on the "words" end of IxD involving user stories, scenarios and other requirements analysis for several years (after many years in engineering roles). As such, I don't have a significant body of personal design product to show.

28 Jun 2010 - 7:53pm
Jarod Tang

Re: [IxDA] Re: [IxDA] Design is not a “problem-sol ving techni que”

I can't get my head around the idea that 'design' is a problem-solving method. At best, it's a problem-solving approach, if you somehow think that simulation or analysis aren't somehow associated with design.

Or, practice of solving targeted problem(s) , with methods, techniques involved (persona,scenario analysis,etc). 

28 Jun 2010 - 5:08pm
3 years ago
1 reply
Katie Gillespie

1 year IxD program - thoughts?

Hello All -

I applied to a program that fits many of my needs and wants, but I would love to hear what IxDers think of the course of study. I haven't seen the program mentioned in other threads.

It's a 1 year program in Interaction Design (culminating in a M.A.S) at the Swiss university SUPSI. It's aimed at professionals who want to shift careers.

http://www.maind.supsi.ch/

Thanks,

Katie