Discussion Archive: June 2010

12 Jun 2010 - 1:17pm
4 years ago
12 replies
Kai En Ong

Pixel perfect wireframes?

What do you think about creating pixel perfect wireframes? Good or evil? (Or it depends ;-)

The websites our team work on have a standard width, grid, interactive elements and some general guidelines for typography. Therefore any designer working on a wireframe could create it to the pixel (we have a fixed layout). 

12 Jun 2010 - 1:08am
Atul N Joshi

[EVENT] Bangalore - Design Incubator's UXD Training, Jul - Aug '10

*** Kinldy send your responses to training [at] designincubator.com to avoid sending unwanted mail to others on the list ***

Design Incubator has announced four courses on User Experience Design (UXD) in Bengaluru in August this year.

11 Jun 2010 - 6:56pm
4 years ago
1 reply
Mortvia

Examples of good multilingual sites?

I'm working on a redesign project for a site that's currently bilingual (English/Russian.) Eventually it's to be expanded to other languages. Does anyone know of any really good examples of sites in multiple languages? Any guidelines or best practices to consult?

TIA

11 Jun 2010 - 12:32pm
4 years ago
1 reply
emalone

Identity / Authentication - Change Examples

Hi all-

I am looking for examples in the wild of sites and services that started out with a unique identifier as the login authentication and have recently switched to email as the login authentication.

Anyone seen this recently?

I am interested in documenting how they are alerting users to this shift in auth models and the UI flows that follow.

Any pointers and leads would be appreciated.

thanks

Erin Malone

Principal, Tangible UX

Author: Designing Social Interfaces

Blog: http://www.emdezine.com/deziningInteractions

11 Jun 2010 - 8:49am
4 years ago
2 replies
Rutger van Dijk

Simulate high resolution display (e.g. a videowall)

Hello,

We're currently developing an application which (just one of the features) shows a interactive map on a videowall.

This videowall has a very high resolution but is constructed out of pretty old displays/tubes. Together these displays form a high resolution; I don't know the resolution exactly, but starting Microsoft Word shows a small window in the upper left corner of the videowall. I will lookup the resolution next week.

11 Jun 2010 - 8:24am
jabbett

iPhone UI as HTML

If anyone out there has tried jQTouch - http://jqtouch.com/ - you might have reacted as I did - initial excitement, followed by increasing frustration. It makes for a great demo - a web app with rich iPhone look-and-feel on any device. It's implementation, however, is clearly still in beta.

In particular:

- The CSS is hard to understand, undocumented, internally inconsistent, and a bit buggy
- It only uses CSS3 properties for webkit, and doesn't define the other variants (mozilla, etc.)

11 Jun 2010 - 6:41am
4 years ago
1 reply
acannefax

Fees for hosting banner ad

Can anyone advise ... I need to be able to advise a client what they should charge a hotel chain for banner ads on my clients' site. Does anyone have an idea or can you direct me to a resource for the answer? Thanks!

11 Jun 2010 - 6:21am
Nicola

Intranet tools

A customer asked me a quote for an enterprise wiki solution. It's a small company with about 100 employees and the initial purpose of the wiki will be to share knowledge between the technical staff working on a wide range of instruments. I'm comparing 3 solutions: Confluence, Twiki and Mindtouch that seem to better match the requirements in terms of ease of use and features.

11 Jun 2010 - 6:17am
djlittle

IxD/usability etc. terms in German?

Hello,
Apologies if this is a little esoteric, but I have a quick question for die Deutschsprecher. I am currently looking at revising my resume and portfolio and would like to be able to provide some sort of version in German.
Obviously the resume/portfolio feature a number of technical terms, including some HCI terminology. Is there any resource which would help me with the German translations? I would be able to literally translate them but might end up using words which aren't actually widely used in the field.

11 Jun 2010 - 3:39am
Terms:
Shivanand R Yerva

Checking for browser versions/components

Hello,

We are designing a Web Application which needs the below listed components/Browser versions to be installed/enabled in the Browser.