Discussion Archive: June 2010

28 Jun 2010 - 4:44pm
3 years ago
6 replies
ranimanoharan

Should I go to grad school?

I just got accepted to the Interactive Design program at SCAD (http://www.scad.edu/interactive-design-and-game-development/) and I'm having a little trouble deciding whether this is something I should do or not.

I finished my undergrad last year at a prestigious tech school with a degree in Computer Science, but that's not at all what I want to do. I'm currently a designer at a software company and I love my job, but I have no education in the arts at all, which is why I decided to apply in the first place.

28 Jun 2010 - 2:51pm
3 years ago
3 replies
Diana Wynne

tools for content inventory & site mapping

Hi all,
I'm working on a huge corporate redesign, helping analyze several regional extranets and then providing a migration strategy and detailed site architecture for the new unified global site. 

The existing sites use several different content management systems; many of the microsites are completely independent (Flash based, ecommerce, etc), and there are thousands of linked PDFs and other attached documents that we will be surfacing as web content.

28 Jun 2010 - 2:08pm
3 years ago
2 replies
tamella

question about pricing and standard markup

Hello, I have a question I'm hoping a few can answer. 

28 Jun 2010 - 12:57pm
3 years ago
4 replies
Michele Marut

Are there key questions to ask when hiring a UX and/or IXD firm?

All,
I've been providing a colleague with a few tips about hiring contractors and firms that do all of UX and/or specific IxD tasks. I have this list ((http://www.upassoc.org/usability_resources/jobs/key_questions.pdf ) but it is geared specifically towards hiring a usability professional.

28 Jun 2010 - 12:08pm
tonyzeoli

Re: [IxDA] Anyone with Wordpress Experience

Hi Anil:

I am a Wordpress expert and run the Wordpress Westchester Meetup Group. I do a lot of work with Wordpress. Most of my work today is on Wordpress. Please visit my website - http://www.digitalstrategyworks.com for more information on my company and our Wordpress work.

I'm actually developing the IA for a science and technology web site that will be built on BuddyPress. And, I just closed two other clients with Wordpress needs; a resume service and a BuddyPress site for a hyper-local social network.

28 Jun 2010 - 12:07pm
3 years ago
2 replies
tonyzeoli

Question about full 1024 width of SmashingMagazine web site

Anyone have any thoughts on Smashing's expanded 1024 layout for higher res monitors?

Noticed they collapse to 990 at 1024, but go to the full 1024 as you expand out.

Who is making this move now? What's the standard or best practice? Client is looking for inspiration on HuffPo and other newsy sites. Sees the 960 grid, but wants to ascertain what the current thinking is on expanding out to 1024.

Thanks.

Best regards,

:: Tony Zeoli
:: Founder

28 Jun 2010 - 11:44am
3 years ago
1 reply
German Leon

Looking for Awesome UX Innovation Design Agencies in London

Hello Everyone

Let me introduce myself I'm a Principal UX Design Expert at Vodafone Group based in London UK and I am interested about cool design agencies based in london that might work with us. What I'm looking for is an agile design agency that could deliver fast and great UX innovative concepts. Equally if your a talented designer/developer drop me a line or two about what you do. If you can send me something interesting or cool images you have delivered would be even better. Would be great to see stuff before we talk.

My email is german.leon@vodafone.com.

28 Jun 2010 - 11:10am
+1
3 years ago
2 replies
Chris Collingridge

Northern User Experience event, Manchester, England, 5 July

The next Northern User Experience event will take place in Manchester, England in the evening of Monday 5th July.

This event will see us have a chance to disuss two great items:

28 Jun 2010 - 9:58am
3 years ago
3 replies
claudia borges

design of help files

Hello,

I am looking for and thinking about what would a online help file need as interaction to be good help files.

Obviously in an ideal world, a system would not need help files if it is 'well design'. But experience tells even though a system is well designed, there is always people that of want to know more or would like to have more support to use the system.

What would you consider a good interaction for online help files? Do you have examples of good practices?

Thank you!

Claudia

28 Jun 2010 - 7:00am
3 years ago
2 replies
Folletto

[Feedback Rew] Social Usability Workshop

Hello,

I've presented a few weeks ago a workshop titled "Social Usability Workshop" at Frontiers of Interaction in Rome. Since it's my first public, full workshop, I'd love to have some feedback about it.