Discussion Archive: June 2010

28 Jun 2010 - 6:00am
4 years ago
2 replies
Folletto

[Feedback Rew] Social Usability Workshop

Hello,

I've presented a few weeks ago a workshop titled "Social Usability Workshop" at Frontiers of Interaction in Rome. Since it's my first public, full workshop, I'd love to have some feedback about it.

28 Jun 2010 - 5:02am
Ritika
28 Jun 2010 - 2:45am
4 years ago
2 replies
Siew Mee

Academic paper or case study of video based online communities?

HI,

Would appreciate if anyone can point out any research or case study that focuses on building a video based online community. I am interested in papers that discuss, both the business model and usability aspects of it.

Any pointers is appreciated.

Thanks.

-siew mee

28 Jun 2010 - 2:17am
Danny Hope

[event] Next UX Brighton event: SuperGoogleAnalyticsExpialidocious, 13 July

(cross posted)

When: 13 July 2010 Where: iCrossing, Brighton What: 2 (possibly 3) talks on analytics

Many companies use analytics as a starting point for user research but get stumped when it comes to gaining genuine understanding about why users do what they do.

For July’s event we aim to show how applications like Google Analytics can be used to both formulate and answer questions.

28 Jun 2010 - 2:11am
4 years ago
3 replies
Silvia Di Gianf...

Your inspirational ideas

Hello list,

I would like to ask you a question: if you would have today the chance to write a University Thesis about IxD, what would be the topic you would love to deepen?

Thanks in advance for your time,
I wish you all a wonderful day!

28 Jun 2010 - 12:31am
4 years ago
2 replies
baruag

Can an iPhone App control a radio tuner via a dock?

Hi everyone!

Just had a quick question regarding the capabilities of an iPhone. 

To what extent can an iPhone connected to a dock control the external device that hosts the dock with an iPhone app ? 

For example: Lets assume I have a radio which also has a dock to mount the iPhone. Will it be possible for me to create an iPhone app that can control the radios tuner?

Would be really really helpful if someone can clarify the extent to which an iPhone can control an external device through a dock!

Thank you in advance!!

Regards
Gaurabh

27 Jun 2010 - 10:16pm
Mike Wean

Re: [IxDA] Design is not a “problem-solving technique”

Design is whatever the designer does.

Sent from my iPhone Mike Wean tenoruke2002@yahoo.com 847-858-8533

On Jun 27, 2010, at 4:37 PM, Toni Taylor wrote:

On Jun 27, 2010, at 11:09 AM, niyasisk wrote:

Thank you for this illuminating for me personally itch scratching discussion.

In 1993 I interviewed Rich Gold at Xerox Parc to feed some research and an article for a Chi paper.

26 Jun 2010 - 8:13pm
4 years ago
1 reply
hassan.schroede...

Re: [IxDA] I have a dream UX job, here is what i did to get it

On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 6:57 PM, 1V wrote: > .... Lastly instead of asking the discussion board > what other people did to get their dream job which would be irrelevant

So you're saying there's nothing to be learned from the experiences of other people? Then why even have a "discussion board"?

Seems a bit self-contradictory :-)

-- Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroeder@gmail.com twitter: @hassan

26 Jun 2010 - 1:08pm
Moses Wolfenstein

Re: [IxDA] Re: [IxDA] Design is not a “problem-sol ving techni que”

On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 12:44 PM, katey <katey.deeny@gmail.com> wrote:

In my experience, having done primarily design work, but also some behavioral science research, g/ood/ design is just as analytic, empirical, and rigorous as "scientific" methods of problem-solving.
26 Jun 2010 - 6:20am
4 years ago
8 replies
Steve Baty

Re: [IxDA] Design is not a “problem-solving techni que”

Joan,

It was in response to a line contrasting design to the more scientific, analytic methods of problem-solving.

Steve

On 26 June 2010 22:07, Joan Vermette <jayeffvee@mac.com> wrote:

I wonder what the editor was trying to get at - can you say more about
the context or would you then have to kill us?