Discussion Archive: June 2010

18 Jun 2010 - 12:43am
Terms:
ada

Text size for info kiosk

Hi,

I would like to ask for your recommendations on the English and Chinese text sizes for info kiosk. The kiosk has about 46 inches tall (1080x1920px).

Thanks for your help.

ada

17 Jun 2010 - 9:19pm
Bonnie E. John

Need UI suggestions for a long-running process that impacts what the user is doing

I really want to thank the folks who have responded to my request -- there have been some great directions suggested and the development team is very appreciative. Thanks group! And, please keep 'em coming if you have more ideas.

I do want to emphasize how great this great dev team is, too. They are actively seeking out UI input BEFORE designing the software architecture!

17 Jun 2010 - 2:54pm
kristen huntley

Mobile Experience Architect

Mobile Experience Architect Date posted: June 17, 2010 - 5:28pm Location: Santa Monica, CA, United States Employer: iconmobile

hi all,

we're looking to hire an experience architect at the us/santa monica offices of iconmobile.

17 Jun 2010 - 11:51am
+1
4 years ago
6 replies
Dave Malouf

(US) National Design Awards - IxD Category

The National Design Awards were recently announced by the Cooper-Hewitt Museum (the US's Smithsonian Museum's museum on Design). http://www.nationaldesignawards.org/2010/category/Interaction-Design/

The winner was Lisa Strausfeld (of Pentagram) and the 2 runner ups were Local Projects and Potion.

Looking at these winners, I felt uncomfortable. I have as wide and encompassing a definition of IxD as anyone and yes these candidates have done tremendous work, but there is something missing, or are we missing something here in this organization/community?

17 Jun 2010 - 6:14am
+1
4 years ago
8 replies
Terms:
ollie.campbell

Setting up a UX department at an agency from scratch

I've been given the chance to set up a UX department from scratch at an existing digital agency.

The agency has about 70 really good people (designers, coders, the works) many of whom are interested in UX design. And at the moment we do a bit of usability testing and the odd bit of research. But my mission is to really put the user at the center of everything we do.

Obviously I've got a lot of ideas for how I want to approach it, but basically I'm looking for advice from anyone who's done this before.

17 Jun 2010 - 2:00am
4 years ago
15 replies
martinpolley

Double-click and right-click in webapps

What's the consensus about right-click and double-click in webapps these days? Do most people still not expect them to do anything (and so do not bother trying them)?

My gut feeling is that it's OK to use them so long as there is at least one other way of accessing the same functionality.

What do you folks think?

Cheers,

Martin

16 Jun 2010 - 11:30pm
keyur sorathia

job requirement for project "creating digital learning environment for design in India", E-Kalpa

Dear all,

I am Keyur Sorathia, i am an Assistant Professor with Dept. of Design, IIT Guwahati. We are currently working on a project for "Creating Digital Learning Environment for Design in India", name "e-kalpa", a government of India project with IDC - IIT Bombay and NID.

To brief about the project, main objectives of the project are:

16 Jun 2010 - 9:17pm
4 years ago
3 replies
qbi11y
16 Jun 2010 - 8:08pm
Shaun Bergmann

Re: [IxDA] transition to ipad - no hover - behaviors unclear - ideas?

For most designers making the jump from a background of designing mouse based interfaces into touch screen interfaces, it's a natural reaction to try to come up with a comparison chart of nomenclature for the different types of interface interactions commonly used.  Tap == Click, Press-and-hold == Right-Click, (or Hover), DoubleTap == DoubleClick, etc.  It's an understandable reaction, but I'd argue that these comparisons don't need to -- and shouldn't -- exist at all.