Discussion Archive: July 2010

16 Jul 2010 - 5:23pm
3 years ago
11 replies
Dave Tanchak

Right-hand navigation

Hi all,

We're working on a new site design and some initial user testing has shown that our local navigation is just as effective on the right side of the page as it is on the left. Generally, my experience has been that if it looks like navigation, people usually figure out that that's what it is, so, while I'm feeling like the right-side will work, I'm still hesitant to flout conventions.

I reviewed this thread from a couple of years ago:

http://www.ixda.org/node/17909

16 Jul 2010 - 3:29am
Richard Carson

Re: [IxDA] Do you actually possess "design" skills

Everyone can talk design, think design, and even talk about other designers...but how many of those people can actually truly call themselves a "designer"? It's not important to some, but to many it is. I think its great to have as many designer that we do out there. But it does separate the talkers from the walkers. And of course you can have many designers on one project. You can also have more than one chef in the kitchen too. People complain too much about having too many of them in one kitchen at some point. So we can have senior chef, junior chef, etc..

15 Jul 2010 - 7:17pm
Moses Wolfenstein

Just to mix it up even further, in the games industry game designer is a catch all title that can refer to a programmer, writer, artist, or whatever other path an individual took to having that level of control in the design process.

This doesn't mean that all of these sorts of designers have the capacity to engineer good interface (obviously they don't), but it does mean that they're competent enough to be considered by their supervisors or colleagues to handle the task of designing a meaningful interactive experience.

15 Jul 2010 - 9:01am
Richard Carson

@ davebreezeI went to a school where we had many different types of "designers." More than 18 different design types. All capable to draw, understood color, etc.

15 Jul 2010 - 8:38am
4 years ago
12 replies
Richard Carson

The term designer has and always contained the visual aspect as well. Sure you can understand and mimic the role of the designer, but if you do not possess any of the artistic abilities of a designer, can you really call yourself a designer without having to fake your skills somewhere down the line? It's like a cook who can mix, chop, cut, slice, but hasn't got any sense of taste or better yet, has no trained presentational skills so everything looks like baby food.

Sure, you can be an artist who borrows or steals, but can you be a true artist?

14 Jul 2010 - 10:00pm
nancy ann falkenburg

nancy falkenburg wants to stay in touch on LinkedIn

LinkedIn

<p>nancy falkenburg requested to add you as a connection on LinkedIn:</p>

Ravi,

I'd like to add you to my professional network on LinkedIn.

- nancy falkenburg

14 Jul 2010 - 9:59pm
iaaxpage

In words of Emil Ruder. To design is to plan, to order, to relate, and to control. In short, it opposes all means of disorder and accident.

Designers are not artists.

I consider important to learn to draw, learn the importance of aesthetics and photography.

14 Jul 2010 - 7:00pm
4 years ago
29 replies
Richard Carson

Do you actually possess "design" skills

Hi,

I've recently encountered many Interaction Designers who call themselves "designers" yet have no drawing, photographic, layout or any artistic skills whatsoever. How is this even possible? Maybe the term "organizer" or " choreographer" should be more appropriate?

R.C.

14 Jul 2010 - 6:38pm
4 years ago
1 reply
hassan.schroede...

Re: [IxDA] not really sure what I'm suppose to do with a message like this one

> A item to which you are subscribed has been updated

Embrace the Zen of it...

-- Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroeder@gmail.com twitter: @hassan

14 Jul 2010 - 3:42pm
Jackson Fox

[Event] UX 101 presented by MoreBetterLabs & TriUPA

I know there are a lot of people lurking on this list interested in learning more about interaction design, design research, and other user experience topics. Together with Triangle UPA, MoreBetterLabs is presenting a two-day introductory course in these topics in September. Check it out at http://morebetterlabs.com/ux101/ or read on...

UX 101