Discussion Archive: July 2010

14 Jul 2010 - 3:54pm
DerrekRobertson

make my iPhone app design less lonely, or, creative portfolio feedback

Hello IxDA!

I just launched a new portfolio! I'm currently seeking work like many of you, if anyone has some creative feedback for me, even a sentence, I welcome it! Here's my work: http;//neonsunburst.com

Thank you everyone!

Derrek W. Robertson Interaction Designer neonsunburst.com cell: (415) 609-4546 twitter: @neonsunburst

14 Jul 2010 - 3:45pm
+1
3 years ago
3 replies
Christian Crumlish

not really sure what I'm suppose to do with a message like this one

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 12:49 PM
Subject: Event notification for Christian Crumlish from IxDA
To: xian@pobox.com

A item to which you are subscribed has been updated

--

14 Jul 2010 - 1:18pm
Sascha Brossmann

Invitation: Open Days '10 @ Art College Berlin Weissensee, 17th and 18th of July

If you are in Berlin on the 17th/18th of July you are very welcome to visit this year’s Product Design (incl. Interaction Design) student show at the Art College Berlin Weissensee during the Open Days 2010 from 12:00 to 20:00. Our students and this year’s graduates are exhibiting their projects in the Product Design department space (main building, 3rd floor). 

14 Jul 2010 - 12:25pm
3 years ago
1 reply
Terms:
Maurice

14 Jul 2010 - 11:50am
+1
3 years ago
8 replies
agold1120

Junior IxD Looking for Mentor?? Are you out there?

I've tried going through the system here to get a mentor but have found it to be unsuccessful, so I figured I'd try my luck with you all on the discussion board.

I read the board every once and a while and it seems as though there are great people here who could effectively serve as mentors so I would be so appreciative of your help and guidance - even if that meant an email once and a while. 

14 Jul 2010 - 8:49am
Brian Mila

RE: [IxDA] After the UX person has left, are UI Guidelines enough ?

Karl,

UI guidelines can be effective, but don't expect them to be strictly followed. I work at a company where a UX person before me wrote a style guide and later left. When I came onboard, the company was still following the style guide. But things had drifted a little in some areas. That’s not all bad though. Style guides are just guides anyway, they allow for designers to make their own decisions.

If you are really looking for strict adherence, you'll need to set up some kind of governance unit, maybe 3 or 4 core designers.

14 Jul 2010 - 7:58am
mrman

Re: [IxDA] Local Navigation Best Practices / Trends

Hello,

On 2010-07-14, at 00:17, Lost240 wrote:

> Does anyone know a good resource where I can find information on local navigation best practices / trends?

14 Jul 2010 - 4:35am
3 years ago
4 replies
karl-j.sigiscar

After the UX person has left, are UI Guidelines enough ?

Hi,

I'm on a project in a big bank. I am creating a good UI with proper UX for an existing project. My concern is that when I am gone, even if I write a UI guidelines document, developers will mess up the UI when they add new elements / screens.

What is your experience with that ? Were UI guidelines ever effective ?

Regards,
Karl.

13 Jul 2010 - 3:20pm
+1
3 years ago
6 replies
Terms:
Lost240

Local Navigation Best Practices / Trends

Does anyone know a good resource where I can find information on local navigation best practices / trends? I am primarily looking for navigation information on large scale corporate sites, but any information would be great!

Thanks!

13 Jul 2010 - 2:49pm
Barbara Ballard

[EVENT] Design For Mobile conference, Chicago, Sept 20-24

The Design For Mobile 2010 conference early bird deadline is July 16! Don't miss out on the 32% discount for the only conference in the western hemisphere focused on mobile user experience.

We're getting more and more great speakers, both for regular sessions and for workshops.

What will you learn?

iPad design headaches and iPhone design Case studies from companies like Intuit and eBay Improved techniques for mobile user research How to choose between app and web, and do well with either What real people actually do with gestures Designing forms and idle screens Multiplatform