Discussion Archive: July 2010

3 Jul 2010 - 12:16pm
4 years ago
3 replies
Richard Carson

Re: [IxDA] Should I go to grad school?

A two year MA program might look good on your resume, but is it worth all that money? Other than a piece of paper, what else does it offer you? What can't you learn on your own, that you can learn in grad school? The world is filled with much knowledge that you can obtain outside of school. An impressive portfolio definitely says more that a one liner on your resume.

2 Jul 2010 - 5:12pm
basementps

RE: [IxDA] Graphic Design Intern (Mobile Product and Website Design)

Greetings ! ! !We provide services in the following ares:Post Production (Animation, Visual Effects, Motion Graphics) Interface Designing for Websites & Mobile Application, Graphic Designing 3 Dimensional Designing for Animation (Medical, Engineering, Architecture & Advertising)

2 Jul 2010 - 3:47pm
4 years ago
2 replies
Terms:
Charles Adler

The influence of pre-populating web forms

I'm currently working on a revision to a checkout process in which we're debating the pros & cons of pre-populating certain fields.

The application allows users to select an item for "purchase" and pledge an amount related to the value of that item. This means they can in fact pledge more than the stated amount for the item, or the exact amount of the item. They obviously cannot pledge lower. 

The debate is such:

Do we pre-populate the form field with the amount of the selected item or leave it blank to encourage some percentage of greater pledge.

2 Jul 2010 - 3:10pm
4 years ago
1 reply
DrWex

Re: [IxDA] Re: [IxDA] An apology, and hopefully looking forward for IxDA

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 3:51 PM, Ben Jeavons wrote: > You can use the member search to try and find your duplicate account > http://www.ixda.org/members

I know where my duplicate account is. I just want to delete it.

2 Jul 2010 - 10:54am
4 years ago
5 replies
Terms:
Megan Rye

The Highs & Lows | Researching UX Salaries

Hello All,

I'm researching UX salaries in the US, and wondering if there are any good suggestions out there!

So far I've found the UPA's 2009 Salary Survey (free version) and AIGA 2010 Salary Survey to be helpful. The respondents in the UPA Salary Survey are mostly from Advertising and Software companies, and the AIGA sample set seems more general design oriented, less about UX. I'm especially interested in UX Designer and Director level salaries for cutting edge multimedia products/companies.

2 Jul 2010 - 9:21am
4 years ago
1 reply
DrWex

Re: [IxDA] Re: [IxDA] Re: [IxDA] An apology, and hopefully looking forward for IxDA

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 3:13 AM, Elizabeth Bacon wrote: > People aren't able to delete their own profiles for various reasons, but > there's an administrative "merge" function that a site admin can perform for > you. Please get in touch with Matt Nish-Lapidus who can take care of that!

And how would I reach this person, please?

> In the meantime, of course, you can just inactivate all notifications on one > of your profiles.

Yeah, I've tried that. It doesn't seem to work. I don't see a way to turn off all notifications.

2 Jul 2010 - 1:45am
4 years ago
9 replies
Dimiter Simov

Coffee

I am starting work on a coffee website project. Could anyone share knowledge or point me to research on people behavior related to:

1. drinking coffee and tea;
  2. getting information on coffee and tea: brands, recipes, where to buy, health issues, and so on;
  3. buying coffee, tea, and related products: online, offline, specialized shops.
I expect this to be a lot of fun. I am not a coffee drinker myself; I prefer tea.
Dimiter Simov

1 Jul 2010 - 7:22pm
4 years ago
1 reply
Jared M. Spool

[PLUG] We're Breaking Up The Band - Last Stop on the UIE Web App Masters Tour

[Sorry for any duplication in your inbox.]

Greetings,

We're breaking up the band.

With one stop to go, attendees are telling us the UIE Web App Masters Tour is one of our best events ever. Hundreds of web application designers have found inspiration from our world-class experts. Fortunately, there's one more stop on the tour and you can be there too.

1 Jul 2010 - 5:13pm
Danny Hope

Re: [IxDA] [event] Announcing UX Brighton 2010

On 1 July 2010 21:01, David Malouf wrote: > Please, please, please video record this. These topics so interest me and I > wish I could go to Brighton, UK for the day, but its just not that > practical. ;-) ... Not complaining, just jealous to no end!

It's a very low budget conference but we'll do what we can.

You could always come to Brighton for the whole weekend, it's lovely and sunny down here by the beach :)

-- Danny Hope User Experience Design, Brighton UK http://dannyhope.co.uk +44 (0)7595 226 792

1 Jul 2010 - 3:01pm
4 years ago
2 replies
DrWex

Re: [IxDA] Re: [IxDA] An apology, and hopefully looking forward for IxDA

Looking at tracker I did not see a mention of the bug "Unable to delete duplicate profiles." Has that been fixed now?

I'm getting two copies of every email and would dearly love to shut off one of them.

--Alan