Discussion Archive: July 2010

23 Jul 2010 - 8:30am
48 weeks ago
4 replies
mccoym

[IXDA] Anyone taken Cooper's Interaction Design Practicum? Is it *really* Interaction Design training?

Hi All,

I'm looking for some good training in Interaction Design to Supplement a Master's in HCI that touched on the topic. About Face was one of my required texts, so naturally I looked toward Cooper for training, but the curriculum just doesn't seem to address designing interactions.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

22 Jul 2010 - 10:34pm
Prof. AProfeta

Re: [IxDA] Do we really need to use Vowels to call ourselves a Designer?

Ha! Too funny. Like Franklin on Religion [para phrased]: I may not subscribe to the dogma but like the fact that it keeps people moral!

In light of the unemployed/under employed designers in the US at the moment and the growing confusion on "what is my industry name"; I'm not sure that laying off the defining vowels will help the situation much. Well that is what an IA told me;)

Great post Jared!

22 Jul 2010 - 7:58pm
Prof. AProfeta

Re: [IxDA] Do we really need to use Vowels to call ourselves a Designer?

Ha! Too funny. Like Franklin on Religion [para phrased]: I may not subscribe to the dogma but like the fact that it keeps people moral!

In light of the unemployed/under employed designers in the US at the moment and the growing confusion on "what is my industry name"; I'm not sure that laying off the defining vowels will help the situation much. Well that is what an IA told me;)

Great post Jared!

22 Jul 2010 - 4:35pm
PixelMEDIA

Interaction Designers that can “WOW” our clients

PixelMEDIA is looking for full-time or freelance Interaction Designers that can “WOW” our clients.

The three most important aspects of this job are: • Need to be able to lead a client meeting with ease • Analyze, gather, and assess the clients’ requirements • Create deliverables that meet our client’s wants while determining their end users’ needs
• our team: http://www.vimeo.com/8423153

Do you want to work for a company where: • you get to interact with clients everyday • you work on multiple and diverse projects • you can make a difference • meet us: http://www.pixelmedi

22 Jul 2010 - 12:26pm
4 years ago
2 replies
Michael Montecuollo

Whiteboard Markers preference

Given the amount of time we all spend at the whiteboard, I'm wondering if anyone has personal opinions or recommendations on the best markers availible for the job or if "whatever is laying around" works well enough? 

I'm asking this question becuase all of my markers have grown legs or dried up and since its time to buy some new ones, I couldn't help but examine the problem and analyze for a better solution.

-Mike

22 Jul 2010 - 11:03am
+3
3 years ago
12 replies
Terms:
Jared M. Spool

Do we really need to use Vowels to call ourselves a Designer?

Or, put another way:

D w rlly nd t s vwls t cll rslves dsgnr?

After all, we've seen the successful removal of vowels from sites like Flickr (though it's true they just didn't want to pay the extra dollar for the 'e' -- the life of cost-cutting startups).

But, do I as a dsgnr have to really invest in understanding and using vowels on a regular basis? Is it really important for me to dsgn ntrctns?

I contend that vowels only get in the way of good ntrctn dsgn, so I'm thinking nt.

Jrd

22 Jul 2010 - 10:38am
3 years ago
9 replies
faramarz

I have an interview tomorrow. What to expect?

Hi folks,

I have an early morning interview for an IxD position at a high-growth 2 year-old startup. The company produces a physical device, as well as the software that will function across multiple devices and platform (mobile and desktop). As fas as I know, i'll be reporting directly to the VP of User Experience and working closely with the other designers / developers. The culture is what you'd expect at a startup, small intimate groups. 

22 Jul 2010 - 8:12am
3 years ago
4 replies
DrWex

Re: [IxDA] Is it really necessary to master TYPE to be an IxD?

Another way to frame this is to look at the body of knowledge that is available. Typography has easily 150 years of trial, error, experimentation, learning, growth, adaptation to new technologies, etc. behind it. Very few of the other areas we draw on have such a long history. In terms of looking at a body of knowledge from which one can draw useful principles, patterns, and examples you can find quite a lot in typography that speaks to general areas of UX concern such as - what is persuasive? What aids visibility? What sort of feel are you conveying?

VUI Cloud

Free white papers with production results from using Adaptive Technologies to enhance the self-service caller experience

Abstract:  For sample applications, analysis using 95% confidence intervals indicated improvements in IVR Utilization of about 17.24-20.44%, a reduction of First-Attempt Caller Input Errors of about 1.02-1.75% (relative reduction ranging from 4.7-8.0%), an increase in Average Handle Rate of about .5-3% and reductions in Average Handle Time of about 6-16% when incorporating adaptive functionality.

Learn more here:   http://www.vuicloud.com

Or register to download here:   http://www.vuicloud.com/forms/VUICloud_Registration/VUI_Cloud_Registration.php

22 Jul 2010 - 7:58am
shankarjain2010

Mark Doherty Speaks on AIR 2.5 for Android at Adobe Flash Platform Summit 2010

Ever wanted to extend Flash Player 10.1? Do you need multi-touch in your mobile application? Mark will be in Bangalore this August to walk you through the new features of AIR 2.5 Beta on Android covering all the major features, including Geolocation, Gestures, StageWebView, Camera and Microphone APIs. At Adobe Flash Platform Summit 2010, to be held 15-16 August, Mark will also build a complex application using both Flash Professional and Flash Builder.