Discussion Archive: July 2010

22 Jul 2010 - 7:35am
neha

RE: [IxDA] Pronunciation video audio delay

Hi Philip,

We are working on something similar where we want Indian students to learn foreign languages through the virtual medium.

We show the image of an object first and audio gets displayed after a lag of 0.3 seconds. We have done this because we want the student to absorb the image in his mind before listening to the audio. 

Would love to hear from others on this...

~ Neha Modgil.

22 Jul 2010 - 3:42am
seifip

Pronunciation video audio delay

Hello,

I'm working on videos in which a word appears on the screen and it's pronunciation is played back at the same time.

Should the audio play as soon as the image is displayed, or should it start with a small (0.5-1s?) delay after the image appears on the screen?

Thanks,

Philip Seyfi

22 Jul 2010 - 2:23am
4 years ago
5 replies
Calvin C. Chan

Temporal Orientation: Left-to-right as time progresses?

Recent UI update preview of Flickr's photo page shows that they will change the chronological order when navigating the photo thumbnails. In the new design, newest thumbnail is shown on the left, then older items are trailing on it's right side. Originally, left-to-right is aligned to older-to-newer.

My question is, which orientation of "time" is more natural to you? When navigating chronological items:

21 Jul 2010 - 8:11pm
4 years ago
2 replies
hassan.schroede...

Re: [IxDA] Re: [IxDA] Is it really necessary to master TYPE to be an IxD?

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 5:36 PM, Dan Saffer wrote:

> ... Presenting information in a clear and understandable way > is one of the traits of a designer.

21 Jul 2010 - 6:46pm
hassan.schroede...

Re: [IxDA] Director of Business Development

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 12:35 PM, Gabriel Reynaga wrote: > Ugh....do we really want to work with them again? It's up to you...it's just > that they were such a pain in the ass to deal with. (No feedback)

C'mon now, don't sugar-coat it -- how do you really feel?

Ah, the IxDA list -- nothing comparable for pure entertainment value :-)

-- Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroeder@gmail.com twitter: @hassan

21 Jul 2010 - 4:51pm
+1
Dan Saffer

Re: [IxDA] Is it really necessary to master TYPE to be an IxD?

There are no core skills you need to be an interaction designer.

If you want to be a GOOD interaction designer, there are several that are helpful.

Learning typography, while not necessary, might make you a better interaction designer. I know it did for me. I can't think of a single thing I've ever learned that has improved my visual design eye as much as learning typography did. The documents we produce: mostly type. Our interfaces: filled with labels made up of (you guessed it: type). Presentations: type. Text links: type.

21 Jul 2010 - 4:42pm
Moses Wolfenstein

Re: [IxDA] Re: [IxDA] Do you actually possess "design" skills

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 12:55 AM, monkeyshine <dglaze@gmail.com> wrote:

21 Jul 2010 - 11:33am
4 years ago
1 reply
Terms:
DigitalWoman

Looking for a designer on a short deadline

Hello Everyone,

I am looking for a designer for a project that I am working on.  I have all of the wireframes that lay out all of the page elements with a lot of details and I need a designer to put a design around it.  The project needs to be completed in the next two weeks. 

21 Jul 2010 - 10:48am
William Hudson

New course dates in Europe and free e-commerce reports

We've added dates in Brussels and Hamburg to our London UCD & UX courses, plus our latest (free) e-commerce benchmarking report is available for download. See http://www.syntagm.co.uk/design/blog/

The e-commerce report looks at both US and UK clothing retailers. The results are a little like the World Cup - a close run game with a few strong players, but overall pretty much a tie!

Regards,

21 Jul 2010 - 9:53am
4 years ago
8 replies
dantemurphy

Is it really necessary to master TYPE to be an IxD?

For those of who who haven't noticed, or have actively ignored it, there's been yet another debate about skills and what we call ourselves and blah blah blah.  One of the popular positions in this argument has been the importance of various visual design skills in interaction design, such as line, color, grid system...etc.  I have no objection to those.