Discussion Archive: August 2010

23 Aug 2010 - 10:38pm
3 years ago
11 replies
Terms:
Georgette Sulllivan

MFA v. MA

I am in need of some advice from the experienced mentors in IxDA. I am currently attending the University of Kansas working on my MA in Interaction Design. I am at a fork in by education trying to determine if I should complete my MA this fall or continue on for an additional 22 hrs and complete my MFA in Interaction Design. My work experience is limited to graphic design and marketing so I have no employment based IxD experience.

23 Aug 2010 - 7:59pm
3 years ago
6 replies
scottymac

interview "test" ideas for Usability position?

Hi, I'm trying to come up with a "test" to be used as part of the interview process for a Usability (web) position - so I thought I'd ask the community for any ideas, nuggets, spitballs to get our brains going...

I work for a smallish web team within a large organization and we are looking to hire someone inhouse for the Usability side of things. The role is mainly Usability analysis, user testing, best practices, recommendations, etc for our exisiting large content web sites and new areas/ideas for the sites as well.

23 Aug 2010 - 4:15pm
Michele Marut

[EVENT] NYC Startup Weekend Sept 10 - 12 (New York, NY)

IxDA community,
This looks like a fun event and a chance to practice your IxD and/or UX skills.They still have slots open for User Experience / Designer participants.

23 Aug 2010 - 2:13pm
Moses Wolfenstein

Re: [IxDA] Another Rant - Expectations and Roles - Designers vs. Developers vs. Recruiters...blah, blah, blah

I'm a little hesitant to step into this debate given the combination of my lack of formal expertise on the nature of specific roles in interaction design as a field and some of the rather vitriolic comments that have been slung around in this thread, but in the interest of simmering things down a bit I'd like to throw out an explanation for why this is such a messy topic in the first place from an organizational theory perspective (one of my own specializations) informed by some experiences in the design of digital media for learning.

23 Aug 2010 - 1:39pm
kmillersf

*UX Design Help needed ASAP* - for small biz with a great cause

Hi Everyone,I am a fellow IXDA member that has a good friend (Adele) in need of discounted UX design help for her start-up business called Latin Threads Trading.

joannawiebe

SXSW Panel: It's about time: visualizing temporality

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

I agree about the banana, but I'm not so sure about the arrow.

Our beliefs about time and its passage profoundly affect the design of software and interactive media. It's time for interaction designers to understand deeply how our customers know time, whether as an arrow, a spiral or a squiggle. How can we design interactive experiences of time which attract and engage?

22 Aug 2010 - 9:37pm
Jared M. Spool

Re: [IxDA] Worst Login/Password/Forgot Password Process Ever?

On Aug 22, 2010, at 5:33 AM, craigmaxey wrote:

> The IxDA login experience is incredibly bad for all the reasons that
> have been posted... again and again. > > The adoption of defacto standards is a core principle of interaction
> design. I blows my mind that the IxDA site tolerates the poor
> usability of such a basic function. Please standback for a second
> and ponder the surreal scene of people having a hard time logging
> into a site dedicated to interaction design.

22 Aug 2010 - 1:40pm
1 year ago
2 replies
designertype

Re: [IxDA] unsubscribe

Your window says access denied to me. . . I can not unsubscribe to
your site from this window. . . for a group that is about inner
active web communications your site is not very friendly or inner
active. . . Gentilemen and or Ladies you need to get real here. . .

22 Aug 2010 - 12:52pm
3 years ago
1 reply
Helen Killingbeck

Re: [IxDA] Cooper U course - visual design

Hi Nick:   Glad to hear that you teach the visual design class.  Could you provide more detail as to what you teach in the Visual Design Course?  I've been wanting to take the course but of course need to justify the expense.  What background knowledge do you find most people have who enroll in the course.  What are the problems that the course can help a person solve?

On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 4:27 PM, nickmyers <nick@myers.net> wrote: