Discussion Archive: August 2010

16 Aug 2010 - 7:43pm
Moses Wolfenstein

Re: [IxDA] What questions to ask for a persona interview?

If shadowing isn't viable (but since you already have an interview lined up) you might want to consider a cognitive interview approach as well. While the most formal implementations of this tradition rely on having the subject actually execute the task, you can still deploy it to good effect by focusing your protocol on the tasks they need to engage within the setting where they would use the app. It's basically the sort of approach that goes into building user stories, except developing an interview protocol to draw out real data to hang your narrative on.

16 Aug 2010 - 5:48pm
4 years ago
2 replies
CarolR

Terminology - See vs. View, Find vs. Search

Does anybody have research showing which terms are better for call to action on a website that we can use consistently across tasks? I'm talking about action within the site, so the link would say either "Search for a gold parachute" or "Find a gold parachute."

Terms we're interested in:

• FInd vs. Search
  • See vs. View

Thanks!

16 Aug 2010 - 5:19pm
4 years ago
3 replies
Hilary Bienstock
16 Aug 2010 - 2:05pm
45 weeks ago
7 replies
Volkan Unsal

What questions to ask for a persona interview?

Hi,

I am pre paring to conduct an interview to create personas for a medical web application doctors and patients. This app is not built yet, and the feature set will be drawn from the personas -- which is why it's giving me a pause. I am used to writing interviews about usability, and always used to work with existing websites. I never created personas before, though I used them before, and I'm having difficulty coming up with questions to ask the interview candidates.

16 Aug 2010 - 10:32am
kmillersf

RE: [IxDA] Pro bono work for SF non-profit needed ASAP

Thanks for the idea. I have received several possible responses to date.
K

> To: kmillersf@hotmail.com
> Subject: Re: [IxDA] Pro bono work for SF non-profit needed ASAP
> From: johnzurowski@hotmail.com
> Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 05:43:32 -0500
>
> Not sure if you have had a response to this. If not I would recommend you

16 Aug 2010 - 10:06am
hassan.schroede...

Re: [IxDA] Font sizers

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 2:15 AM, Dimiter Simov wrote:

> As for the larger/smaller font size icons, and I am quoting from memory, in > our usability tests, I have observed people using websites where such > controls were available, and I do not remember anyone ever using the tool to > change the font size. Note, however, that observing the behavior of changing > font size has not been a goal of our tests.

Exactly, you have to set out to test a feature like this.

16 Aug 2010 - 9:40am
4 years ago
3 replies
bojcampbell

Help vs. Support

Specifically as a link from a web application or web site, are the terms "Help" and "Support" interchangeable or do you feel there is a proper context for each?

16 Aug 2010 - 8:35am
Neil Lee

Re: [IxDA] iMockups for iPad?

> I was wondering if anyone had tried the iMockup for the iPad (wireframe > tool). > Is it worth it, or just another thingy? Is the iPad a worth while tool for > running "any" productive apps, or for more /convenient/ surfing?

There's a small discussion I kicked off a while ago about wireframing on the iPad[1] that may be of interest.

I now have a copy of iMockups that I've been dipping into here and there. For fast stuff it's pretty good, but I haven't built anything complex with it yet.

16 Aug 2010 - 7:40am
4 years ago
5 replies
Terms:
Maurice

16 Aug 2010 - 1:34am
4 years ago
10 replies
Neil Simpson

Real estate property locator tools

Hello everyone,

I've been looking around for some fresh approaches to real estate property locator tools.

One that stood out on smashing magazine was www.blueroof.com for it's left-hand tabbed tool.
(http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2009/04/23/30-beautiful-real-estate-websites/).

I'd like to hear if anyone has any favourite real estate property sites and if so why?

Apologies if something similar has been posted here before.

Neil