Discussion Archive: September 2010

13 Sep 2010 - 11:50pm
25 weeks ago
12 replies
ptamzz

Books recommendation on Interaction Design

Hello everyone.

Can anyone here recommend me some good books on interaction design.

Thanks

13 Sep 2010 - 11:06pm
Jarod Tang

Re: [IxDA] Re: [IxDA] Simplicity is Not Overrated, Just Misunderstood

Sorry for words in previous mail if it made you unhappy. What i mean camera as enabler for touch points , e.g. sns. ( e.g Facebook, Twitter, Flicker) applications or something like that.

Cheers, Jarod

13 Sep 2010 - 10:09pm
+1
4 years ago
3 replies
Terms:
Jack L. Moffett

DUH Accreditation

Hello list,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Has anyone gotten DUH Accreditation? Any thoughts to share?

I’m an amateurish designer with minimal experience with UX/IxD/IA and wanted to get a position at a good firm. Would this be a better option for me than Cooper’s course or Usability Week? Grad school is out of the question.

Thanks.

13 Sep 2010 - 7:21pm
4 years ago
1 reply
Jarod Tang

Re: [IxDA] Simplicity is Not Overrated, Just Misunderstood

Hi Derrek,

Just forget the name, smartphone or feature phone, or even forget if it should be called phone. None one really care about the difference between smartphone and feature phone. What matter is what people want in mobile, or between/across places. Take for your case, "a more professional camera setup than iPhone", what will behind the touchpoint? maybe a photo/video sharing service ( to a sns ), maybe a mobile shopping service, etc.

13 Sep 2010 - 4:26pm
Prof. AProfeta

Re: [IxDA] Design Usability Heuristics (DUH) Accreditation: A Modest Proposal

Hey Dan, Can we get the degree in our choice of font? And do you take Pay Pal? I find that users prefer a varied selection of payment options;) Keep up the great work! TonyPro PDA Media, Inc ------Original Message------ From: Dan Saffer Sender: ixdaor@host.ixda.org To: Tony Profeta ReplyTo: discuss@ixda.org Subject: [IxDA] Design Usability Heuristics (DUH) Accreditation: A Modest Proposal Sent: Sep 13, 2010 4:13 PM

Are you a crappy but ambitious designer? Career going nowhere? Tired of
spending time at conferences learning things but have nothing to show for it
except knowledge?

13 Sep 2010 - 12:43pm
+9
4 years ago
4 replies
Terms:
Dan Saffer

Design Usability Heuristics (DUH) Accreditation: A Modest Proposal

Are you a crappy but ambitious designer? Career going nowhere? Tired of spending time at conferences learning things but have nothing to show for it except knowledge? Don't want the hassle of getting an actual degree at an accredited university in design or HCI, but don't want to pay some company money for their fake accreditation?

13 Sep 2010 - 7:36am
4 years ago
12 replies
smitty777
13 Sep 2010 - 12:25am
4 years ago
3 replies
timyeo

IntrAnets: Remote usability software

Hi all. 

It occurred to me that most remote usability software (e.g. remote observation tools like moseflow, surveys etc) are made to run on the IntErnet.

However, if you're testing on the IntrAnet, you won't have access to the Internet and therefore these tools don't work.

One option is to have these software hosted on a local server within the IntrAnet. However,  most of these solutions only work on the Internet and have no option for local hosting. 

12 Sep 2010 - 3:51pm
4 years ago
19 replies
uxmovement

Simplicity is Not Overrated, Just Misunderstood

This article is a response to Don Norman's column article from Interactions Magazine. The article disproves Norman's point that simplicity is highly overrated and that users only buy products based on complexity and features, and provides a more accurate and substantial point of view.

read the article » Simplicity is Not Overrated, Just Misunderstood

Hitesh Agrawal

Invitation: HFI’s PET Course scheduled for Oct 7-9 in Mumbai, India

An Invitation to Register for “How to Design for Persuasion, Emotion, and Trust (PET Design)”