Discussion Archive: September 2010

10 Sep 2010 - 6:23pm
stauciuc

Illustrating Krippendorff's "The Semantic Turn" and designers in relation to stakeholders

Hi all,

For anyone who might be interested, there are some diagrams in the post below illustrating designers in relation to their context and to other stakeholders in their own contexts, using concepts like sense, meaning, and second-order understanding - concepts which are used by Krippendorff in his book "The Semantic Turn" to describe what he sees as one crucial competence of designers which is rarely taken under consideration when trying to define the profession.

http://blog.sebidesigns.com/?p=72

10 Sep 2010 - 2:47pm
3 years ago
13 replies
Terms:
candiRSX

Auto Play: Need Research to Back Up Why It's Bad for User Experience

I'm trying to teach the people at the small agency I work for that auto play is not advisable.  I need not only reasons why it's bad for users but also stats of how it can give them less than desirable numbers for analytics like bounce rate.  I've been able to find posts about why it's bad but I need more evidence. 

Thanks in advance.  I appreciate the help. 

10 Sep 2010 - 11:43am
3 years ago
2 replies
Josh Evnin

Career Path for Teaching IxD

I am interested in the group's thoughts about how to push one's career path into the academic side of IxD. Like many (really, most) of the folks in IxDA, I am a practitioner in the trenches. I have always had an interest in teaching, however, and so I wonder what steps one might take to teach IxD (and related topics) at the collegiate level.

I'm anxious to hear your experiences and suggestions. Thanks.
Josh

--
http://josh.ev9.org/weblog

10 Sep 2010 - 10:04am
Bailey

Re: [IxDA] Suggestions, Examples or Patterns for a Touchscreen Radio Button / Binary Control?

Working on iPhone for the past year, the touchscreen binary control is a switch that is labelled on or off. Or, if you need to explain in more detail, a two-part segmented control works, too. Descriptions of both are listed in the Apple documentation. http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/navigation/index.html

--
Bailey Steinfadt
runnerbee17@gmail.com
4815 Pleasant Street, Apt. 206
West Des Moines, IA 50266

10 Sep 2010 - 9:24am
3 years ago
17 replies
tdellaringa

Suggestions, Examples or Patterns for a Touchscreen Radio Button / Binary Control?

NOTE: Yes, I'm aware of the iPhone/iPad controls, but as I said, we can't use those, we don't have multitouch, which I think you need for the on/off control to work properly.

9 Sep 2010 - 3:02pm
3 years ago
1 reply
DrWex

Re: [IxDA] Thoughts on Google Instant Search?

I think Pauric hits on a very important point, which is that Google appears to be trying to optimize the overall process that starts with entering the first search term and ends with (one hopes) finding the right page link to click on.

The current interaction pattern often involves people firing one or a few ill-thought-out keywords at the search engine and being largely disappointed with what they get back.

9 Sep 2010 - 12:43pm
+1
3 years ago
10 replies
.pauric

Communicating design intent with animated mockups

I was recently asked to help clarify a design solution to team members and stakeholders.  The project had been spinning wheels with everybody looking at the problem from different angles.  What was needed was some good old 'users perspective' on how they would use the software, and this perspective needed to be seen by both the team and the high level stakeholder (read: does not have time to sit through paper prototype demo)

9 Sep 2010 - 8:58am
3 years ago
2 replies
dmitryn

Re: [IxDA] Thoughts on Google Instant Search?

On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 8:26 AM, pauric wrote:

> From a ux perspective I cannot wait for more UI of; engaging, active, > predicting, reducing, suggesting.  More of a UI that knows what I want and > works with me to find it / get it / launch it. > > I question what roll an IxD'er has in a design that off-loads so much work > from the User... limited at best?

Not necessarily. Predictive/suggesting/anticipatory UX still needs informed design decisions around what is to be suggested, when, and how. Otherwise the Clippy syndrome will quickly set in.

8 Sep 2010 - 9:22pm
3 years ago
5 replies
aronoff

Thoughts on Google Instant Search?

I'm REALLY curious to know your thoughts on Google Instant Search.

http://techcrunch.com/2010/09/08/google-instant-its-search-before-you-type/

I'm really stoked to see this. It's a very intuitive user experience. The fact that search refreshes as you type, to me, means that it's an active state of something that used to be the typical call and response. It will be interesting to see if this pattern starts to permeate into other areas of search, say, in your companies intranet site, or your file structure on your mac.

8 Sep 2010 - 9:21pm
javier velasco

Reminder: Social Media survey at UNC-Chapel Hill

Dear all,

I’m researching communication over social media at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. You are invited to participate in a research study comparing tools of Internet communication, this online survey should not take more than 20 minutes to complete, and you will be eligible for receiving one of two $100 Amazon.com Gift Cards. The study seeks to understand how we are sharing information in Social Media, and with whom. The 2009 Progress Grant from the Information Architecture Institute funds this work.