Discussion Archive: September 2010

27 Sep 2010 - 10:01am
4 years ago
1 reply
Carmen Dukes

How do your skills as an interaction designer help you outside of work?

Wednesday, 9/29 will be beginning of our 10 week after school program, Project: Interaction, where we'll teach high school students about design and creative thinking skills.

27 Sep 2010 - 9:21am
4 years ago
2 replies
nicholas

protocol for testing domain/brand recall

We think our client's proposed name for their application is hard to remember. 
How do we prove it?
Looking for a simple testing protocol or article on same... any suggestions most welcome, thanks!

(for detail: their proposed name is both a new verb form based on an adjective (eg "surprisify") and a spelling variant of what you'd expect the spelling to be (eg "surprizify") (those aren't the real words, but it gives you an idea).

nb--

27 Sep 2010 - 9:08am
+1
4 years ago
7 replies
Terms:
Sam Menter

Design pattern for multiple add to basket / quantity discount

Hi,

I'm looking for examples of best practice for a product page that has multiple buy options. The product has 4 different size options, all with different prices. In addition the prices are discounted if a user buys more than 10, 50, 250, or 1000. So effectively the product has 20 (4*5) different prices.

Now to simplify the page, the pricing could be displayed after a user selects size and quantity, but there's a benefit to the business of displaying all prices, so the customer realises the cost/benefit of buying more or larger product. 

27 Sep 2010 - 2:14am
4 years ago
1 reply
Sachin Ghodke

Is there research on "text" metrics for Usability?

I have been posed with a different challenge –

26 Sep 2010 - 2:33pm
Adrian Howard

Re: [IxDA] How is your team structured?

On 25 Sep 2010, at 23:09, Dorianv wrote:

> I am dreaming of the perfect division of ia, ux, and visual design in a team. Should we stick to being generalists, and wear all of those hats at once, or should we allocate resources to each role? I am curious to know how other companies have approached this.

I don't think there is a right answer.

You need IA, UX, visual design to make good products. You also need copy writing, development, sales, customer support, operations, etc. A huge stack of skills.

What you need is enough skills to get a good product built and delivered.

25 Sep 2010 - 9:56pm
4 years ago
4 replies
Sachendra

Social networking and the mobile phone

Social networking has finally arrived on the mobile phone leveraging the two invaluable core values of a mobile, "Always-on communication medium" and "Location".

How do you think it'll help people to create, develop, and strengthen social ties

My thoughts:
http://sachendra.wordpress.com/2008/03/23/social-networking-and-the-mobi...
http://sachendra.wordpress.com/2008/05/27/what-i-want-from-my-mobile-soc...
http://sachendra.wordpress.com/2008/08/14/understanding-user-needs-a-mob...

25 Sep 2010 - 3:17pm
4 years ago
6 replies
Dorianv

How is your team structured?

I am dreaming of the perfect division of ia, ux, and visual design in a team. Should we stick to being generalists, and wear all of those hats at once, or should we allocate resources to each role? I am curious to know  how other companies have approached this.

25 Sep 2010 - 10:22am
4 years ago
2 replies
Richard Carson

Re: [IxDA] Depicting Your Personas

Though I love the fun family orientated use of the Simpsons, in certain industries, this use of character would be appalling when using it to present a type of persona due to a lack of needed sophistication or contrasting of the company's brand, say the client were to be Vogue. I do think an illustration that sat closer to realism would be more effective as a starting point in depicting a persona visually.

Architects and environmental designers often use silhouettes which are very typical and avoids possible stereotyping.

25 Sep 2010 - 10:00am
4 years ago
1 reply
Dan Saffer

Re: [IxDA] Essential IxD Articles and Essays

On Sep 24, 2010, at 5:49 PM, Robert Racadio wrote:

> Hey Dan - can't seem to find where the list is. Is there a link I'm missing? >

The new IxDA site must strip out URLs put in < >. Which is fairly dumb as that's how you prevent URLs from breaking when someone's email client wraps the text. At least, that's how I understand it.

If you haven't seen it yet, here's the link w/o brackets:

http://www.kickerstudio.com/blog/2010/09/essential-interaction-design-essays-and-articles/

Dan

25 Sep 2010 - 9:57am
Dan Saffer

Re: [IxDA] Essential IxD Articles and Essays

On Sep 25, 2010, at 2:08 AM, Itamar Medeiros wrote:

> One of my all-time favorites is: > > Kevin Mullet and Darrell Sano, Designing Visual Interfaces [1] >

That's a book, not an article or essay.

Dan