Discussion Archive: October 2010

7 Oct 2010 - 9:52am
4 years ago
2 replies
Jack L. Moffett

Re: [IxDA] Where to send an open letter to the OS-designers at Apple and Microsoft?

On Oct 7, 2010, at 10:35 AM, Santiago Bustelo wrote:

> My humble suggestion is to "discard" items, hiding them on the file browser, and allowing them to be recovered at any time, until the disk space needs to be reclaimed:

And isn't that what Apple's Time Machine has done for us?

Jack

Jack L.

7 Oct 2010 - 8:50am
+1
4 years ago
4 replies
Dan Saffer

The IxD Library

http://theixdlibrary.com/

The IxD Library is a collection of books, articles, and presentations of interest to interaction designers. It attempts to not be the definitive collection of every piece of content about interaction design, only the best and most influential.

Happy reading!

Dan

7 Oct 2010 - 7:15am
4 years ago
1 reply
asbjorn

Where to send an open letter to the OS-designers at Apple and Microsoft?

Hi,

I've just written an open letter to Apple and Microsoft regarding an annoyance with how their operating systems (OS X and Windows) copies files without paying much attention to users.

Read the letter on my blog Room for improvement.

6 Oct 2010 - 9:27pm
Rodrigo Sanchez

[EVENT] NYCUPA presents "GameFraming: Using Games to Design More Fun into Everything, with Douglas Van Duyne" Tues, Oct 19th at Digital Sandbox

The next NYCUPA event will be held on Tues, Oct 19th at Digital Sandbox office. Join Douglas Van Duyne for insights into "GameFraming: Using Games to Design More Fun into Everything."

6 Oct 2010 - 7:52pm
Sheetal Dube

Axure Training - Minneapolis, Nov 3rd and 4th

The last time we did a public Axure training was in 2008, but there were enough people out there asking for training for 1 or 2 people in their company that we have done it again. Join us in Minneapolis in November (this is a prime opportunity to say you experienced the cold of MN without it being too intense) for the basic and advanced Axure training classes. Wednesday night I'm putting together dinner and drinks where those being trained can meet those who are currently using Axure and get a chance to hash out what works, what doesn't and tips to make it easier.

6 Oct 2010 - 6:16pm
Michelle Bacigalupi

Re: [IxDA] Need advice for starting a career in UX/Interaction Design.

Just start googeling terms like 'design thinking' or / and 'service design'. Read and think and imagine. Michelle ------Original Message------ From: Thomas Petersen Sender: ixdaor@host.ixda.org To: Me ReplyTo: discuss@ixda.org Subject: Re: [IxDA] Need advice for starting a career in UX/Interaction Design. Sent: Oct 6, 2010 4:07 PM

Michelle

Can you elaborate on what you mean?

UX/Interaction design is a craft before anything else.

6 Oct 2010 - 3:22pm
4 years ago
1 reply
Prof. AProfeta

Re: [IxDA] The Value Of User Surveys

GT, In addition to being a practitioner, I teach Usability and Interactive Design classes at Philadelphia University. When discussing the quality of user feedback I show Malcolm Galdwell's amazing video on TED. In the video he discusses the faults, variance and effectiveness of user testing. In less than 15 minutes the lesson is learned and stays with the student. On another point this week's episode of House drives the same point home in less than 20 seconds.

6 Oct 2010 - 11:59am
+1
Terms:
nahrihra

UX Marathon webinars (Oct 25 – Nov 02)

Annual UX Marathon 2010 is the third installment in the series, but
previously it was known under the name of The Usability Marathon. UX
Marathon 2010 will take place on October 25 – November 02, 2010. The

6 Oct 2010 - 10:24am
4 years ago
7 replies
gthomas10

The Value Of User Surveys

My client contact, several of my contacts employees, and the founder of the company have indicated a strong belief that, based on user surveys they have conducted, their site is "pretty darn good".

Part of the process I am working to implement will include user testing during the design phase. Does anyone have good counter points to why user surveys should be taken with a grain of salt and not considered the "end-all-be-all" judgment of a website.

6 Oct 2010 - 9:51am
4 years ago
5 replies
JasonAlexander

Is this the state of IA?

I started in information architecture in 2007, I got out of it and now I am trying to get back into IA/UX.  I consequently do not have the 5+ years of experience or the mandatory "senior titles", but I do have the education!  I came across this in a recent job posting:  "5+ years of agency experience working on site builds. Someone who really understands the user experience."  I was initially hired because I was a user experience professional.