Discussion Archive: November 2010

3 Nov 2010 - 2:05pm
4 years ago
1 reply
Eva Kaniasty

Re: [IxDA] Re: [IxDA] IxDA's new job board is live

I for one think this is a great idea.  One of the reasons I only intermittently read this list is the high volume of posts, and jobs make up a big part of the noise.  It's not that I'm not interested in jobs, but I would much rather go to a dedicated job board to seek them.  The closer this list stays to its core purpose (dare I say... a forum for conversations about interaction design?), the more value it delivers in my book. 

---eva

3 Nov 2010 - 5:29am
Alan James Salmoni

Re: [IxDA] Re: [IxDA] IxDA's new job board is live

Agreed in part: however, even the recruiters "spamming" the board benefit the IxDA in turn. They form part of our user base: they are users, even if not primary ones.
How often have we, as practitioners, had to argue the case for good UX and IxD against a chorus of business requirements that make perfect sense in isolation but miss the big picture? In my experience, quality work has been toned down to the point of mediocrity because of many business requirements that were given a priority over effective design. 

3 Nov 2010 - 3:09am
William Hudson

November Update - UX and UCD Courses in London, Hamburg and Vancouver

(With apologies for any duplication.)

I will be giving a talk tomorrow evening for the Hamburg chapter of the Interaction Design Association on 'The Psychology of Nerdiness and Its Impact on User-Centred Design' (similar to the one I gave at the UPA in London earlier this year).

2 Nov 2010 - 8:26pm
helgefredheim

UX/IX Designers in Baltimore

Hello IXDA!   I am a graduate student in Baltimore, and I am now recruiting a group of professional IX designers to a IX design research experiment.   I would appreciate it a LOT if anyone on this list would participate.   It shouldn't take more than 90 minutes, and I am highly flexible as far as hours. The place is not as flexible: It is University of Baltimore in Baltimore Midtown.

2 Nov 2010 - 6:52pm
+3
IxDA Board of D...

Nominations now open for the 2011-2013 IxDA Board of Directors

IxDA is now accepting Board member nominations for the 2011-2013 IxDA Board of Directors term.  Nominations, for yourself or for others you think should apply, will be accepted until Sunday, November 21, 2010, at 11:59 pm ET.

http://bit.ly/bbAjj6

2 Nov 2010 - 3:05pm
4 years ago
10 replies
Wendy Fischer

Re: [IxDA] IxDA's new job board is live

I am opposed to the charging of posting job ads. $265 is too high for a posting fee, particularly when craigslist is only ~$75 to post a job. I feel that if IXDA is charging for job ads, companies and recruiters will be far less likely to post them on IXDA. I have liked the fact that there is a more informal community feeling to IXDA and that there is a wider availability of job posting, albeit in an informal setting.

2 Nov 2010 - 10:38am
3 years ago
3 replies
.pauric

Crowdsource it.

I have a recurring brainfart.  The next time the IxDA has a design problem it considers hitting up the 20,000(?) members for potential solutions to the issue.

Among the many benefits that I can think of; transparency, T-design, practice... I'd like to highlight one positive: This would give new designers an opportunity to get some work under their belt and artifacts on to their portfolios, under the guidance of the IxDA mentorship program perhaps.

Outsource the facilitation to Open IDEO if necessary.

Just an idea.

2 Nov 2010 - 9:27am
4 years ago
1 reply
DrWex

Re: [IxDA] Move to charge for ads

On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 11:11 AM, Sean Pook wrote: > keep track of new IC Creative vacancies via Twitter @ iccreativesean or by > joining the UX / IA / Usability Jobs group on Linked In.

Would you mind posting a link to the group? I think I may be a member, but there are several groups with similar names and it'd be nice to check.

2 Nov 2010 - 8:40am
4 years ago
1 reply
Sean Pook

Move to charge for ads

Hi all,

I won't post this again and appreciate it won't be of interest to a good many of you.

I've met and got to know a good many UX professionals globally over the past two years from posting jobs on IxDA. As the current cost of posting on the site is somwhere between 10-30 times more expensive than the other boards we use, we won't be posting any more positions. I'd just like to say you can keep track of new IC Creative vacancies via Twitter @ iccreativesean or by joining the UX / IA / Usability Jobs group on Linked In.

Thanks !

Sean

1 Nov 2010 - 8:41pm
Hitoshi Enjoji

Re: [IxDA] Design in Japan?

Hi Lee,

I'm working at Concent (http://www.concentinc.jp/en/) in Tokyo. I know well about UX and IA in web site production; however, your interest may be broader.

Do you know HCD-Net? http://www.hcdnet.org/en/ Members in this organization engage broad design process from product to web. Contact them. I think they may introduce some information to you.

Regards, Hitoshi Enjoji