Discussion Archive: November 2010

21 Nov 2010 - 6:11pm
3 years ago
3 replies
Lia Fetterhoff

Tips on selecting icons for web applications?

Hi there,

I'm looking for any resources or tips on selecting good icons for functions unique to a certain web application. I personally don't design icons myself, and think I could be successful using those already out there for purchase.

If anyone could give insight on a couple of things, that'd be great, too:

1) Should icons on a toolbar always be labeled, or will a user be able to learn them after using the application regularly?

21 Nov 2010 - 1:32pm
Sunny Medwed

Grouped search results

Hey there,

Over the last few years I've noticed experimentation with search results grouped into categories running down the page. For example, the apple store used to group their search results into rows of product categories. They have now switched over to a generalized list.

Has anyone tested the usability of 'grouped' search vs other techniques such as filtering and generalized lists?

Thanks. Sunny

20 Nov 2010 - 5:48pm
ella Kallish

Re: [IxDA] If User Experience were an icon...what would it be?

If it were truly the pinnacle of UX, it would be transparent to the User Ella Kallish ella@ellakallish

> From: Chauncey Wilson > Reply-To: > Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 17:32:40 -0600 > To: Ella Kallish > Subject: Re: [IxDA] If User Experience were an icon...what would it be? > > How about an abstract smile.

20 Nov 2010 - 5:47pm
ella Kallish

Re: [IxDA] If User Experience were an icon...what would it be?

If it were tr

> From: Chauncey Wilson > Reply-To: > Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 17:32:40 -0600 > To: Ella Kallish > Subject: Re: [IxDA] If User Experience were an icon...what would it be? > > How about an abstract smile.

19 Nov 2010 - 10:33pm
2 years ago
3 replies
skooliostyles

SVA Interaction Design Graduate Program

Does any one have any helpful advice for someone applying to SVA in New York for an Interaction Design graduate program?

19 Nov 2010 - 6:38pm
3 years ago
9 replies
Celeste Cefalu
19 Nov 2010 - 9:24am
dmitryn

Paradigms for viewing documents on mobile devices: File viewer vs. e-reader?

Hi all,

I'm currently working on the document viewing aspect of a mobile app. I originally intended to model this experience on other file viewers for the same platform, i.e.

19 Nov 2010 - 8:04am
4 years ago
1 reply
Terms:
sherihy

iPhone app and mobile site

If your company has both an iphone app AND a mobile site, in what ways should they be different? In what ways should they be the same? Specifically for an ecommerce site.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Sheri

19 Nov 2010 - 3:59am
marekp

Event: MEX, 30 Nov - 01 Dec, London

The next MEX on the future of mobile user experience is in London in 10 days time (30 Nov - 01 Dec).

http://pmn.co.uk/mex/

The title for this 8th international edition of MEX is '6 pathways to the mobile UX horizon'.

100 of the deepest thinkers from mobile, media and design will work together to create new ideas in response the 6 Pathways through expert presentations and in-depth working groups.  Pathways include: