Discussion Archive: November 2010

19 Nov 2010 - 3:13am
+1
4 years ago
5 replies
Aen Tan

Is the search button becoming obsolete

General usability guidelines states users expect a search feature to contain besides the search field, a button labeled "search". Looking at recent designs of search, the button is disappearing. These lack the search button.

• All Apple search, i.e. apple.com, Spotlight and iOS. They have a clear button. On iOS, the keyboard provides a search button.
  • Google Chrome. The address bar functions as a search and is activated by pressing Enter.

18 Nov 2010 - 6:29pm
4 years ago
2 replies
Greg Petroff

Design Process / Planning / Managment Tools

Many of us use basecamp and other "cloud" based tools for managing projects, lists of to-do's etc.

Wondering if anyone has found a good tool for managing design projects in the flow of a process where there are gates or decision points that are consistent in your practice from project to project and allow you to ascertain / check off / measure where you are as a team and the project/product at said gate points in a repeatable way. 

Or maybe a better question...

Shilpi Joshi

An immediate start remote/on-site contract UX Designer opportunity with data intensive experience

We at Bestica, nation's leading UX Staffing firm are very actively seeking a solid UX Designer, with at least 4 years of industry experience, with an immediate start remote/on-site contract opportunity in Schaumburg, IL. Occasional travel to client's site may be required.

An ideal candidate will be a skilled UX Designer with data intensive experience, such as shopper loyalty data, transaction log data. Also, the desired candidate should have experience working with reporting products that make heavy use of tables, charts, graphs, etc.

18 Nov 2010 - 4:46pm
cwsouthworth

Re: [IxDA] Some advice for a junior designer?

Thats some tough luck Jewel,
Would recommend you find or create some opportunities to continue your professional advancement and productivity projects while you search for that elusive salaried gig.
Either get a decent freelance gig, develop something fun with a few friends, or do something meaningful for a local/national non-profit.
Good luck turning your adversity to advantage!
CWS
--
Charles W. Southworth

Production Consultant

18 Nov 2010 - 2:40pm
4 years ago
1 reply
Lisa Goldberg

Re: [IxDA] Need research data for mobile users and usage

Are they tracking analytics for their site? I would start there for device usage data.

Lisa

18 Nov 2010 - 1:37pm
4 years ago
5 replies
woobijewels

Some advice for a junior designer?

Hello.

I need some help from you guys. Where do i find jobs or how can i market myself to find a job as a user experience/visual designer? I just got a job last year working in a fortune 500 company but just two months into the job, the department shut down and I'm having the hardest time finding work again. What do I do to show companies that i can perform at a higher level than what my years of experience shows?

Thanks!

-Jewel

18 Nov 2010 - 1:16pm
4 years ago
1 reply
mcleanmel

Interaction Design Advisor for a master's student working on thesis project

Hello. My name is Melissa McLean and I am currently working on my thesis project for an MFA in Web Design New Media at the Academy of Art University.

Next semester is approaching and I am looking for an interaction design professional who is passionate about their career and is interested in sharing their knowledge and fostering a young professional in the development of their thesis project.

Specifically, my thesis project is an application for the iPad that allows a user to compose music with very little knowledge of music theory or the ability to read or write music.

18 Nov 2010 - 11:52am
4 years ago
1 reply
Alice Andreoli

Companies that convey a great service trough multiple touch points

Hi all,
I have an advice to ask you. 
I would like to know which are, according to you, the companies that nowadays convey a great service trough multiple touch points.
Thank you,
Best,
Alice

18 Nov 2010 - 11:44am
Alice Andreoli

Companies that convey a great service trough multiple touch points

Hi all,
I have an advice to ask you. I would like to know which are, according to you, the companies that nowadays convey a great service trough multiple touch points.
Thank you,
Best,Alice

18 Nov 2010 - 10:25am
4 years ago
2 replies
Fern

Need research data for mobile users and usage

Hi my client is thinking about creating a mobile friendly version for their site and I have been tasked with finding demographic, type of device usage data. I will also include competitive analysis, best practices, and possibly persona information to the client as well. If some has done a lot of this research or can point in thr right direction I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance!