Discussion Archive: December 2010

22 Dec 2010 - 6:21am
3 years ago
7 replies
Terms:
jstrande

Role or Usage Based Personas

I recently saw an example of personas done from a usage occassion as opposed to being role based - so instead of "Mike - Salesperon" or "Tammy - Student", it was done from the perspective of segmentation of audience based on their usage, "Sam - loyal book buyer" or "Mary - occassional reader".

Is this just really a semantic difference??

21 Dec 2010 - 8:40pm
+1
3 years ago
4 replies
pabini
21 Dec 2010 - 6:14pm
3 years ago
2 replies
Steve Motola

[IxDA] Recommendations on Web Design Shop in US

Can anyone recommend a decent small-mid sized design shop in the US for a site redesign?  I like what I see from http://worryfreelabs.com/ but looking for options.

21 Dec 2010 - 4:17pm
3 years ago
3 replies
Rhonda Ranney

Re: [IxDA] Why Left Search Buttons Perform Faster Than Right

I come in piece with a twist of humor...

Innovation is key and nowhere have I read in this string anyone frowning on it. Actually just the opposite.

However.... When someone portrays an article as fact, refers to their own site for reference and starts an email off with "Research has shown....", its logical for readers simply ask, what research? Show us, inquiring minds want to know.

And if you have NONE, ZIPPO, ZERO... that by far exceeds tapping on the glass for a response. That's pretty much sticking your hand in the cage...OUCH!

21 Dec 2010 - 3:39pm
3 years ago
1 reply
krystaylor

Mega Menus and SEO

Hello IXD community,

After a lengthy IA project involving cardsorting, qualitative and competitive research and all kinds of fun activities, we've decided to use megamenus on our content site.  I've designed the menus and am just finishing up the spec.

However, our SEO team is concerned that the megamenus will hurt our page ranking.  They've asked me to keep the total links to less than 100.  This isn't too hard - I'm pretty much at 100 right now. 

21 Dec 2010 - 7:30am
Terms:
Matt Nish-Lapidus

Spam on the list

Hi Everybody,

As I'm sure you've all noticed, there has been a recent outbreak of spam in the discussions. We're working on implementing an updated moderation system that will let us catch that.. in the meantime these users are being blocked as fast as possible and their messages deleted.

I'll post another update when the new moderation system is in place. Until then, we apologize for the annoyance and thank you all for your patience.

Matt Nish-Lapidus (& the IxDA Board)

20 Dec 2010 - 9:15pm
3 years ago
7 replies
Richard Carson

Marketing vs. Interaction Research

I'm trying to focus on designing a new product. I think some research would be needed in order to create and plan out some essential aspects for the design. I'm not sure where I should start, but the company I work for uses marketing research. Can marketing handle and does it cover all the aspects of the research required to create products? People talk about research a lot here, so it must be important, but isn't that the job of the marketer?

20 Dec 2010 - 8:14pm
Chauncey Wilson

In Pursuit of the Perfect Brainstorm

The Sunday New York Times had an interesting Magazine article titled "In Pursuit of the Perfect Brainstorm" by David Segal.  The article documented a company that employs a variety of ideation and management techniques to generate new ideas for businesses. 

Here is the URL.  You might need a Times account to access.  http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/19/magazine/19Industry-t.html?_r=1&hpw   The company helps other companies co

20 Dec 2010 - 6:47pm
gmb at asi-az.com

RE: [IxDA] Job Posting - User Experience Designer - Chicago, IL

Gary M. Bakken, PhD, CPE Analytica Systems International, Inc. 9390 N Calle Buena Vista Tucson, AZ 85704 (520) 882-5494

-----Original Message----- From: ixdaor@host.ixda.org [mailto:ixdaor@host.ixda.org] On Behalf Of Richard Carson Sent: Monday, December 20, 2010 5:21 PM To: Gary Bakken Subject: Re: [IxDA] Job Posting - User Experience Designer - Chicago, IL

I'm trying to focus on designing a new product. I think some research would
be needed in order to create and plan out some essential aspects for the

design.