Discussion Archive: January 2011

19 Jan 2011 - 6:35pm
3 years ago
5 replies
heidi newell

Best Small Business Platform?

Hello.
I am looking to launch a boutique business website, which will initially offer sales for a single design product (hopefully more products will be offered in the future). Is Yahoo Small Business still considered the best platform for this kind of business? Does anyone have recommendations for how I seek out a great programmer, who can stick with me as a consultant as the business grows? 
Many thanks for your thoughts.

Heidi

19 Jan 2011 - 2:53pm
3 years ago
2 replies
Darren Ellis

Sign in page form focus post validation

Anyone have strong feelings regarding form focus after failing validation on a sign in page? In the wild, form focus seems to vary quite a bit. Some sites remove focus completely and the user must click back into the forms. Others put focus on the incorrect form. While others blow away any information entered and set focus on the username form. 

Read through the following examples and insert your expectation (mine are at the bottom):

Scenario 1: Bad password entered

19 Jan 2011 - 12:15pm
Paul J. Sherman

Re: computer usage: beginner, intermediate or advanced

Austin said "...then I usually hit my success metrics."

Which brings up a good point: Who out there actually defines success metrics for designs? What metrics do you use? What's your feeling about their utility?

• Paul Sherman
19 Jan 2011 - 9:01am
Terms:
Bob_Gauvin

Local Boston Events

There is a free event this Friday in Cambridge MA

http://thebig-studio.eventbrite.com/

Are there other events that are free that people like to attend to stay inspired? What topics would be the most interesting if you could choose?

19 Jan 2011 - 6:26am
Sean Pook

Email list down again?

Haven't had any IxDA emails since the 17th.

18 Jan 2011 - 8:56pm
Josh Damon Williams

Interaction11 registration giveaway, courtesy of Microsoft

Hello IxDA,

Interaction11 Gold Sponsor Microsoft is giving away three passes to the sold-out conference! For a chance to win visit http://tinyurl.com/microsoft-ixd11 Entry deadline is 12:00 noon U.S. Eastern Time on Friday, January 21. Microsoft will choose three names from among their favorite responses and winners will be announced on Friday by 6:00 p.m. U.S. Eastern Time.

Good luck!

Josh Damon Williams
Co-marketing chair for Interaction11
@joshdamon
@ixdconf

18 Jan 2011 - 10:40am
3 years ago
4 replies
lunzeea

Advise needed on career change

Hi everyone,

I'm freelance graphic designer. I know web design programs such as HTML, dreamweaver, flash, actionscript, jquery, CSS. I can design and build a website, but I have hard time "breaking" into the web design/interactive design job position/title. I need your advise. Should I go to back to school to get MA in interactive/interaction design or UX design? or certificate course will do. BTW, I also do pro-bono web design work for non-profit, but the process has been really slow.

Thx

daslicht

Flex / Catalyst based RIA's, today

Hello Friends,

with the raising Adobe Catalyst, Flash-Builder, Design-Tools (PS, AI, FW etc..) round trip opportunity things might change a lot.

But there are still prejudices against using Flash based technology.

Opportunists refer most time to Jakob Nielsen  or nowadays Steve Jobs.

In the following I use Flash as synonym for Flex, Catalyst based RIAs.

18 Jan 2011 - 3:50am
38 weeks ago
6 replies
kevvstone

Help with intranet user research

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any advice or experience when it comes to intranet user research? Currently I am conducting a number of user interviews with colleagues across my company, but I am starting to question the size of my sample, and also how best to analyse the research.

17 Jan 2011 - 5:00pm
3 years ago
1 reply
wraevn

Easy to read = Difficult to Remember

I found this blurb on Engaget very interesting:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/17/princeton-study-shows-that-easy-fonts-make-things-harder-to-reme/

"...[a Princeton study] has shown that readers retain information more reliably when they are challenged with so-called "disfluent" fonts..."