Discussion Archive: February 2011

23 Feb 2011 - 6:26am
Heena Vyas

Pune-Design Incubator's Limited Edition UXD Training Program, Mar ’11, India

Hi!

This March ‘11, Design Incubator R&D Labs is conducting its Limited Edition Course on Usability, Information Architecture and Interaction Design Best Practices in Pune, India. The course details are as follows:

Limited Edition Course: Usability, Information Architecture and Interaction Design Best Practices (2 Days)
Complete details about the course: http://www.designincubator.com/training_current_limited_edition.htm
Hourly breakup of the course structure: http://www.designincubator.com/training_current_limited_edition.htm#time...
Course dates: 26th and 27th Mar ‘11

23 Feb 2011 - 5:20am
Jonas Löwgren

Open position as doctoral student in interaction design, Malmö University

Malmö University, Sweden, announces a position as doctoral student in interaction design. In the Swedish system, this is a salaried employment for up to four years of PhD studies. The general direction of the position is "New media, public spheres and forms of expression."

Last day to apply is March 21. The announcement with all relevant information can be found at
http://www.mah.se/english/For-Staff/Jobs/Doctoral-student-in-Interaction-Design-/

22 Feb 2011 - 5:29pm
Noreen Whysel

2010 IA Institute Salary and Benefits Survey is out

The IA Institute is pleased to present the 2010 IA Institute Salary and Benefits Survey.

Highlights of the 2010 survey include:

22 Feb 2011 - 4:34pm
3 years ago
14 replies
Terms:
Alexis

Is a confirmation page a step in a process?

Regarding linear processes or wizards that include a clearly communicated number of steps such as Step 1 of 3, Step 2 of 3, etc.. My client is a large and well-known financial company. I am coming on to a project where we are designing standards for design patterns for a system. I came across a pattern where someone designed a linear flow (for making a payment for example) when Step 3 is actually the confirmation screen saying "Thanks, payment has been made" There is nothing left for the user to do but close the dialog.

22 Feb 2011 - 12:53pm
aZippel4iD

Providing User-Specific Content

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE

22 Feb 2011 - 12:39pm
ixda@destinys-d...

[EVENT] BostonCHI PDS 2011 on March 25, 2011

Hi everyone, 

I'm a member of BostonCHI, the Boston-area chapter of ACM's special interest group on Computer-Human Interaction.  I'd like to announce that BostonCHI will be holding a series of Professional Development Seminars on March 25 at Mathworks, in Natick, MA.

21 Feb 2011 - 12:34pm
allgood85

Need designers to test out a tool

Hello, 

I am in the final semester of my Master's degree in Human Computer Interaction Design from Indiana University, Bloomington, 

As part of my master's thesis, I'm looking for designers to try out a tool I am designing to help understand and brainstorm on how to do experience design.

If you are a designer doing individual or group work and you are at the ideation phase of your project, or considering doing a redesign of a project, please get in touch with me. I would sincerely appreciate your help.  Please email me at elisha@allgood-design.com 

n1kname

Design guidelines for an interactive whiteboard

Hey everyone,

Recently I was asked to help design an interactive whiteboard application for the classroom. it is going to be a playful educative application about the basics of music production. The teacher is going to use it mostly, but the children also have to use it in some cases. One of the core teaching methods is collaboration.

My question is if there are any guidelines how to design such an application? The do's and don'ts? It also would be great if someone knows some good examples.

JBasil

Service Design Masters scholarships at Domus Academy

Just wanted to share this for any interested in studying interaction design, service design, or social enterprise: Domus Academy is offering two 50% scholarships to their Master in Service Design (starting Sept 2011).

http://bit.ly/eR3vU6

I'm already enrolled in the program and would love to study along with other talented folks. This competition brief in specific addresses one of the core reasons I'm interested in designing services, how can we design systems that encourage sustainable behaviors? If these sorts of topics interest you, take a gander.

-John

http://www.jbasil.com

18 Feb 2011 - 4:12pm
3 years ago
2 replies
lkruger

Great agency portfolios and metrics?

does anyone have examples to share of great agency portfolios? I've found a lot of info in the archives about personal portfolios, but I'm interested in seeing what other companies are doing to promote their work. I'm not interested in really flashy, artsy portfolios - more about the data. what kinds of metrics are companies providing to show the value of their work? how are they telling their stories in compelling ways? thanks in advance for any suggestions!