Discussion Archive: March 2011

6 Mar 2011 - 8:52pm
3 years ago
2 replies
interactive fiction

Frustration over GNOME Desktop revisions

Some of you may know of the GNOME Desktop Environment. It's one of several projects to create a desktop experience for Unix-based systems like Linux, BSD, and so forth.

GNOME v3 is due to come out later this month, and it's arousing a certain amount of controversy. The designers behind the project have decided to remove the maximize and minimize buttons from application windows, and leave the resulting space blank. In order to maximize and minimize, you have to use the mouse or keyboard.

6 Mar 2011 - 11:20am
+1
marianamota

UX event in Oxford, UK

Hi all,

We are organizing a Design Jam in Oxford, UK to happen in May 2011.

Design Jams are one-or-two-day design sessions, during which people team up to tackle engaging User Experience (UX) challenges.

You should come! Follow: @designjamoxford for more info.

5 Mar 2011 - 6:14pm
3 years ago
7 replies
Shawn C

In-house design teams - what do you call yourselves?

I'm looking for ideas on what an in-house interactive/interaction/web design team should be called within a larger design group at a large (conservative) corporation. The designers will handle visual design, consult on interaction design best practices for applications, manage online campaigns, etc -- broad enough that I'm not sure that web design/interactive design/new media design really fit, but something like "Media Technology" or similar isn't right either. 

Any thoughts? 

thank you! 

4 Mar 2011 - 4:00pm
3 years ago
4 replies
lunytnz

New soft drink user experience

I just came back from lunch at a fast food restaurant where they were heavily promoting how you can over 100 flavors of soft drinks now.  They had 2 brand new Freestyle dispenser machines.  The part I found fascinating: despite a large, interactive touch screen display and a *fairly* siimple task, the restaurant had not one, but two, assistants helping each and every person get a drink. 

4 Mar 2011 - 10:07am
+1
3 years ago
1 reply
jwiese

Social Network Research Study

Do you share things with friends on Facebook? We’re researchers at Carnegie Mellon University conducting a study to understand how you think about the people in your personal social network. We’ll ask you to provide a list of names of some people that you know (don’t worry, this process is strictly confidential). The study will take place online, and you may complete the study online at your convenience. We will ask you questions about the people in your personal social network.

4 Mar 2011 - 9:03am
3 years ago
1 reply
Mjmc_coy

How to start a local chapter?

We dont have an IXDA in my area. How do I start one?

4 Mar 2011 - 7:58am
ixdajimmyd

Creativity & Cognition Conference Call for Papers

Second posting of the Call for Papers, we cordially invite submissions to the 8th ACM Conference on Creativity & Cognition (C&C 2011) as well as to the related art program, tutorials, workshops, and graduate student symposium.

Conference: Creativity & Cognition 2011
Conference dates: November 3-6, 2011

MJ Broadbent

Interaction11 Video: Keynotes

Hi everyone,

Video is now available for all seven Interaction11 keynote presentations. In program order:

3 Mar 2011 - 7:27pm
bambou

(Mobile) Apps Go Global conference -- San Francisco, March 8

Globalizing Mobile Apps

New markets await mobile application UX designers, developers, and project managers, who know how to enter international markets and how to localize their products to meet the needs of customers overseas. Apps go Global is a new 1-day event designed to provide strategic and tactical advice for anyone working on mobile apps to achieve success in global markets.

The event is hosted by The Localization Insitute at Fort Mason, San Franciso, on March 8, 2011.

3 Mar 2011 - 1:23pm
3 years ago
2 replies
lijahogan

Product Category Pages

Hi!

I have been noticing a trend on many ecommerce sites recently away from providing category pages - that is, instead of providing top-level categories, a number of subcategories, some subsequent categories, and finally listing pages, sites are skipping some levels of category pages and going straight from top-level or subcategory pages to listing pages with hundreds of items.

Example: Men -> Shirts -> Polos (Listing 20 items) vs. Men -> Shirts (Listing 300 items)