Discussion Archive: May 2011

19 May 2011 - 12:38am
+1
3 years ago
1 reply
architempo

Brussels IxDA meet-up

For those IxDA-ers in Brussels, Europe, or not far, we are having a meet this May 19th at Googlepex, with the GTUG - presenting the Podio platform and features.

More on http://ixda.architempo.net for registration 

Alok Nandi

19 May 2011 - 12:11am
3 years ago
12 replies
whoischrislam

Is anything being done to help newcomers to get into the industry?

Hello everyone,

This has troubled me for quite a while.

I know there has been numerous threads about "How can I break into UX" or "How can I get a job in UX".

Other than just discussing and talking about this particular issue, is there any ACTION or movement towards getting this issue resolved?

Before you give me general advice, I'll let you all know what I've been doing within the confines of what i can do.

18 May 2011 - 12:17pm
3 years ago
4 replies
Benoît Drouillat

Overview of French interaction design

Hi, 

I have published an article entitled "Interaction design in France: an overview" taken from a speech I'll give tomorrow in Paris for Cumulus Digital Culture workshops. I wanted to share those thoughts with the IxD community and start a discussion about what is your perception of French interaction design. Please don't hesitate to give us some feedbacks.

All the best,

18 May 2011 - 11:33am
Lisa Goldberg

Is the "print" option still necessary?

Hi everyone,

I have been looking at layouts for page options. I noticed that the content sites still include the "print" link, which takes you to a page with all the styling stripped out. However, in the past during usability testing I've heard people comment that if they print from the browser the same thing should happen. So do you think the "print" link is still necessary? I will test the interface with users but would like to hear from the design community on this.

Thanks, Lisa

18 May 2011 - 9:23am
3 years ago
5 replies
tdellaringa

Proper reading layout of 2-column text

Hello,

Working on a project where we have a leaderboard broken down into two columns. It's basically two text columns as a list of 1-10. Currently the original design has is so #1 is in the left column, #2 in the right, #3 in the left, and so forth, so you ping pong between the two columns. 

18 May 2011 - 3:06am
William Hudson

UCD Courses in Brussels 31 May - 4 June

There are still some places on our UCD courses at Namahn in Brussels starting 31 May:

• Dynamic User Experience: Ajax Design & Usability (31-May)
  • Agile User Experience & UCD (1-Jun)
  • Card Sorting for User Experience (3-Jun)

The Agile course is the one I ran at the CHI conference in Vancouver last week.

17 May 2011 - 8:19pm
3 years ago
5 replies
eriklevitch

Homepage w/o Navigation Bar

All -

I am looking for websites that do not display navigation (in the traditional sense) on the homepage. Yes, any link could be considered navigation but I am specifically looking for sites that lack navigation until the user is deeper within the site structure.

What are your thoughts on this presentation? Could this be a jarring or unexpected experience? 

Example 1: www.tumblr.com

17 May 2011 - 11:50am
3 years ago
6 replies
Jan Dittrich

IxD/ Human Centered Design Curricula and Philosophy

I am currently dealing with the question what students should be taught in in Interaction Design/ Human Centered Design and how the teaching should be done. For that reason I am in search for curricula and the philosophy behind them. Do you know of any resources?

For HCI there is e.g. the suggestion by the SIGCHI, which provides an extensive overview, but I could not find something like this for a design course.

17 May 2011 - 7:37am
3 years ago
5 replies
thinkusable

What are the most happening places for UX in USA?

Hi All,

I would like to know the most happening place for UX in USA. It can be  based on number of UX people in that location, conferences, formal & informal UX meets, UX training workshops, design colleges, etc.

I was told that BOSTON is best place for UX to relocate for work by few designers but i would love to know the real facts from our IXDA community.

Thx

Kumar

17 May 2011 - 5:33am
jkolko

Austin Center for Design - Applications deadline is June 1!

Hi,

A reminder that there are 10 days remaining to get your application in to Austin Center for Design, if you want to be part of our class of 2011-2012. Austin Center for Design exists to transform society through design
and design education. This transformation occurs through the development
of design knowledge directed towards all forms of social and
humanitarian problems.