Discussion Archive: June 2011

24 Jun 2011 - 4:53am
2 years ago
38 replies
Silvia Di Gianf...

Technical skills of an Interaction Designer

Hi all,
as Interaction Designer I think it's a foundamental matter to have a deep knowledge of  "how it works behind the scenes" what we design for people to use.

The question is: which language (HTML, Java, Javascript, DHTML...) do you think an Interaction Designer should be fluent in and at which level?

Thanks,

Silvia

23 Jun 2011 - 2:53pm
DrWex

Who eats that many French Fries and no desserts?

http://www.fastcodesign.com/1664136/infographics-of-the-day-an-entire-year-of-meals-mapped-11-ways#11

Fastco blog entry on the infographics/visualizations produced by designer Lauren Manning based on a data set of Manning's year-long notes on her food consumption. Among other things.

(h/t boingboing where I saw this first.)

Ali Naqvi

All postal service apps look and do the same (No major difference)

Hello,

a customer (major postal service) wants to develop apps for their major B2B-, minor B2B- and B2C customers.

These applications (both online and mobile) should help its users with the tracking of packages etc but also provide a user experience that may enable them to be the leading postal service. 

21 Jun 2011 - 10:10am
Terms:
R Sengers

UPA DC's conference - call for papers

User Focus, UPA Washington DC Metro Chapter’s conference on usability and user experience, is Friday, September 16, 2011 at the Renaissance Hotel in downtown Washington, DC. We will have two tracks covering topics for people new to usability as well as for experienced usability practitioners.

CALL FOR PRESENTERS

We invite you to share your ideas and experiences by submitting proposals for conference sessions by June 24:
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/userfocus2011

Submit your ideas for:
-  30-minute presentations

21 Jun 2011 - 8:54am
3 years ago
1 reply
Terms:
tgodding

Optimum number of choices for faceted navigation

Anyone know of any usability or cognitive psychology research done in the optimum number of choices for menus/navigation? I need some evidence to argue a case against a top level category menu of hundreds of options

21 Jun 2011 - 4:01am
3 years ago
2 replies
Ali Naqvi
20 Jun 2011 - 6:15pm
3 years ago
1 reply
Jared M. Spool

[PLUG] We're Breaking Up The Band - UIE Web App Masters Tour

Greetings,

We're breaking up the band.

With one stop to go, attendees are telling us the UIE Web App Masters Tour is one of our best events ever. Application designers have found inspiration from our world-class experts. Fortunately, there's one more stop on the tour and you can be there too.

With each stop, the tour gets stronger and tighter and our last stop in Minneapolis on June 27-28 is sure to be our best.

http://uietour.com

20 Jun 2011 - 1:11pm
3 years ago
3 replies
Maurice

Interviewing people who interviewed you in the past

Hi all,

Has anyone had the pleasure of interviewing someone who interviewed you in the past?
Maybe you didn't get the job, maybe they thought you didn't qualify, or too much/too little experience?
I must say...very interesting turn of events can occur in life can't they?. True?

As I have recognized over the years.
"The design community is a connected one. Don't burn bridges and always be respectful. Things do change"

Just wanted to hear some of your personal experiences and how you handled it.

eriklevitch

Microsites: Globally Connecting the User to Various Properties

I am designing a website, which links off to many microsites (e.g., product, promotional, etc.) that the client would like to keep intact. Many of these microsites can be assessed through contextual navigation on an appropriate page, but some warrant global access. Would it be appropriate to link these within extra site navigation? The only problem is that extra site navigation seems to work best when it links to other properties/companies (ex: sears.com, att.com, google.com) as opposed to product/promotional microsites.